A8N-E + 4GB RAM

Percival P. Cassidy

I just re-purposed an old machine with the Asus A8N-E for use as a DIY
Network Attached Storage device. I upped the memory to 4GB of DDR400 ECC
RAM (four identical modules), but now POST reports not only that it's
running at 333 but also that it's now single-channel rather than
dual-channel.

AFAIK, the BIOS on that machine is the latest: 1013, IIRC.

Is this the best that can be expected?

Perce

Patrick Vervoorn

In article <j4nkte$nff$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Percival P. Cassidy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I just re-purposed an old machine with the Asus A8N-E for use as a DIY
>Network Attached Storage device. I upped the memory to 4GB of DDR400 ECC
>RAM (four identical modules), but now POST reports not only that it's
>running at 333 but also that it's now single-channel rather than
>dual-channel.
>
>AFAIK, the BIOS on that machine is the latest: 1013, IIRC.
>
>Is this the best that can be expected?

See the manual, paragraph 1.7. When conforming to the modules listed
there, I see no indications the clock-speed or dual-channel mode should
be disabled.

However, for this to fully work, the modules should conform to the rules
laid down there (type of module, single-sides/double-sides, type of DRAM
chips used, etc).

Perhaps try different combinations to see where the board switches to
333MHz and/or single-channel mode. Also examine the modules in more
detail to see if they are indeed 100% identical.

Regards,

Patrick.

Re: 4 GB RAM Tuning feature to see 4GB RAM in XP Mike Foss Abit 11 10-25-2005 09:12 PM
4 GB RAM Tuning feature to see 4GB RAM in XP Drew Abit 2 10-20-2005 07:06 PM
RAM in A8N-SLI 4GB shows 3GB mogur2 Asus 3 07-30-2005 04:14 PM
4GB of RAM in MB ? Lewis Abit 7 10-18-2004 04:55 PM
i875p Canterwood does not see 4GB RAM - Sees 3GB RAM Julius Moreland Asus 3 04-09-2004 11:10 PM