Motherboard Forums

Motherboard Forums (http://www.motherboardpoint.com/)
-   Asus (http://www.motherboardpoint.com/asus-f4.html)
-   -   A8N-SLI Deluxe + nForce4 drivers problem (http://www.motherboardpoint.com/a8n-sli-deluxe-nforce4-drivers-problem-t19377.html)

Paul_in_NC 03-13-2005 01:25 AM

A8N-SLI Deluxe + nForce4 drivers problem
 
First, here is a list of the hardware involved with my problem:
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (socket 939)
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (BIOS version 1002 - 11/26/2004 NF-CK804-A8N-SLI-00).
512MB Mushkin PC3200 DDR "Enhanced" RAM (x 2 sticks - one in RAM slot A1 and
one in RAM slot B2).
eVGA nVIDIA 6800 Ultra 256MB PCI-E (256-P2-N377-AX).

I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this with an A8N-SLI
Deluxe (or any nForce4 chipset based motherboard):
1) First I install WindowsXP Pro SP1. several reboots. No problems there.
2) Next I install SP2. Reboot. No issues yet.
3) Then I install the drivers for the video card
(71.84_win2kxp_english.exe). Reboot. all Ok so far.
4) Next I install the nForce drivers (nForce_6.39_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe).
Reboot...
Now, here's where the fun begins (rather, where the problems start). After
installing the nForce4 drivers, the install routine wants to reboot the PC.
Ok. So as the PC is rebooting and Windows is around halfway loaded up, the
PC just spontaneously reboots all by itself, as if something were to have
pressed the reset button on the case. I eventually get to the screen that
says "Windows did not shut down properly. Please choose from the following
options...". When I choose to "Start normally", Windows boots right up to
the desktop with no issues. This happens EVERY time I turn my PC on.
The way I see it, it's the nForce drivers causing this to happen, but I'd
really like a second opinion or two.
Any ideas anyone? This is a reall annoyance as you can imagine.
Thanks in advance for any any all thoughts put forth towards this problem.

By the way, if it would help to have more information than what I have
supplied, I will attempt to provide it as requested.

Thank you.
Paul



Paul_in_NC 03-13-2005 01:46 AM

UPDATE: A8N-SLI Deluxe + nForce4 drivers problem
 
UPDATE:
This last time I rebooted the PC in question, I had to go through the
"Windows did not shut down properly. Please choose from the following
options..." business three times before making it to the desktop.


"Paul_in_NC" <pdw98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:wEMYd.5805$nZ.567477@twister.southeast.rr.com ...
> First, here is a list of the hardware involved with my problem:
> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (socket 939)
> Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (BIOS version 1002 - 11/26/2004 NF-CK804-A8N-SLI-00).
> 512MB Mushkin PC3200 DDR "Enhanced" RAM (x 2 sticks - one in RAM slot A1
> and one in RAM slot B2).
> eVGA nVIDIA 6800 Ultra 256MB PCI-E (256-P2-N377-AX).
>
> I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this with an A8N-SLI
> Deluxe (or any nForce4 chipset based motherboard):
> 1) First I install WindowsXP Pro SP1. several reboots. No problems there.
> 2) Next I install SP2. Reboot. No issues yet.
> 3) Then I install the drivers for the video card
> (71.84_win2kxp_english.exe). Reboot. all Ok so far.
> 4) Next I install the nForce drivers
> (nForce_6.39_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe). Reboot...
> Now, here's where the fun begins (rather, where the problems start). After
> installing the nForce4 drivers, the install routine wants to reboot the
> PC. Ok. So as the PC is rebooting and Windows is around halfway loaded up,
> the PC just spontaneously reboots all by itself, as if something were to
> have pressed the reset button on the case. I eventually get to the screen
> that says "Windows did not shut down properly. Please choose from the
> following options...". When I choose to "Start normally", Windows boots
> right up to the desktop with no issues. This happens EVERY time I turn my
> PC on.
> The way I see it, it's the nForce drivers causing this to happen, but I'd
> really like a second opinion or two.
> Any ideas anyone? This is a reall annoyance as you can imagine.
> Thanks in advance for any any all thoughts put forth towards this problem.
>
> By the way, if it would help to have more information than what I have
> supplied, I will attempt to provide it as requested.
>
> Thank you.
> Paul
>




Paul_in_NC 03-13-2005 02:30 AM

UPDATE #2: A8N-SLI Deluxe + nForce4 drivers problem
 
Hi all,
I just flashed the BIOS to 1006. Still having the same issue with the the PC
rebooting halfway through loading Windows.


"Paul_in_NC" <pdw98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:gYMYd.5808$nZ.569728@twister.southeast.rr.com ...
> UPDATE:
> This last time I rebooted the PC in question, I had to go through the
> "Windows did not shut down properly. Please choose from the following
> options..." business three times before making it to the desktop.
>
>
> "Paul_in_NC" <pdw98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:wEMYd.5805$nZ.567477@twister.southeast.rr.com ...
>> First, here is a list of the hardware involved with my problem:
>> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (socket 939)
>> Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (BIOS version 1002 - 11/26/2004 NF-CK804-A8N-SLI-00).
>> 512MB Mushkin PC3200 DDR "Enhanced" RAM (x 2 sticks - one in RAM slot A1
>> and one in RAM slot B2).
>> eVGA nVIDIA 6800 Ultra 256MB PCI-E (256-P2-N377-AX).
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this with an A8N-SLI
>> Deluxe (or any nForce4 chipset based motherboard):
>> 1) First I install WindowsXP Pro SP1. several reboots. No problems there.
>> 2) Next I install SP2. Reboot. No issues yet.
>> 3) Then I install the drivers for the video card
>> (71.84_win2kxp_english.exe). Reboot. all Ok so far.
>> 4) Next I install the nForce drivers
>> (nForce_6.39_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe). Reboot...
>> Now, here's where the fun begins (rather, where the problems start).
>> After installing the nForce4 drivers, the install routine wants to reboot
>> the PC. Ok. So as the PC is rebooting and Windows is around halfway
>> loaded up, the PC just spontaneously reboots all by itself, as if
>> something were to have pressed the reset button on the case. I eventually
>> get to the screen that says "Windows did not shut down properly. Please
>> choose from the following options...". When I choose to "Start normally",
>> Windows boots right up to the desktop with no issues. This happens EVERY
>> time I turn my PC on.
>> The way I see it, it's the nForce drivers causing this to happen, but I'd
>> really like a second opinion or two.
>> Any ideas anyone? This is a reall annoyance as you can imagine.
>> Thanks in advance for any any all thoughts put forth towards this
>> problem.
>>
>> By the way, if it would help to have more information than what I have
>> supplied, I will attempt to provide it as requested.
>>
>> Thank you.
>> Paul
>>

>
>




Paul 03-13-2005 03:45 AM

Re: UPDATE #2: A8N-SLI Deluxe + nForce4 drivers problem
 
In article <NANYd.2687$wl4.449501@twister.southeast.rr.com> , "Paul_in_NC"
<pdw98@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just flashed the BIOS to 1006. Still having the same issue with the the PC
> rebooting halfway through loading Windows.


First of all, it helps to follow up your own original posting, with
your updated info, because it is hard for people to figure out which
post to respond to.

Things that could be wrong:

1) Bad drivers. Play the driver game - find other versions of
driver and test them. Uninstall the current ones before installing
any new ones. If your boot drive is a transplant from another
computer, do a repair install. That will keep your settings and
installed programs, but reinstall the OS components. Any windowsupdate
stuff and service packs not on the original windows install CD
will have to be reinstalled. (I had to do this, to fix the boot
disk that had traversed through many computers and video cards.
The driver situation got out of hand.)
2) Inadequate PSU. It is possible a driver is attempting to unleash
the full power of your video card, and the power blip is killing
the PSU and causing a hardware reset.
3) Basic hardware problem.

Before you got to the point of installing the video drivers,
there are two tests you should run, to determine whether your
basic hardware is solid.

Memtest86, from memtest.org, is a program that will format a
test floppy diskette for you. (An ISO CD version is also available.)
The program needs no OS, and the bootable floppy will test all of
memory (it even lifts the test program out of the way, and tests
underneath).

The second test, is reserved for after the most basic Windows
install is complete, and you can just manage to get into Windows.
Get a copy of Prime95 from mersenne.org . The "torture test" option
from the menu, carries out a computation with a known answer, and
so the program can determine whether your computer, "really computes".
Prime95 runs at 100% CPU, and will also test the adequacy of your
CPU cooling. If your memory or CPU settings are too aggressive,
Prime95 will die within the first 30 minutes.

If these two tests run error free, then it is time to work on the
video subsystem. But, at least at that point, you will have
eliminated the basic hardware as the cause of the problem. I
would do these two tests, whether the new computer exhibited
symptoms or not.

HTH,
Paul

>
>
> "Paul_in_NC" <pdw98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:gYMYd.5808$nZ.569728@twister.southeast.rr.com ...
> > UPDATE:
> > This last time I rebooted the PC in question, I had to go through the
> > "Windows did not shut down properly. Please choose from the following
> > options..." business three times before making it to the desktop.
> >
> >
> > "Paul_in_NC" <pdw98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:wEMYd.5805$nZ.567477@twister.southeast.rr.com ...
> >> First, here is a list of the hardware involved with my problem:
> >> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (socket 939)
> >> Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (BIOS version 1002 - 11/26/2004 NF-CK804-A8N-SLI-00).
> >> 512MB Mushkin PC3200 DDR "Enhanced" RAM (x 2 sticks - one in RAM slot A1
> >> and one in RAM slot B2).
> >> eVGA nVIDIA 6800 Ultra 256MB PCI-E (256-P2-N377-AX).
> >>
> >> I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this with an A8N-SLI
> >> Deluxe (or any nForce4 chipset based motherboard):
> >> 1) First I install WindowsXP Pro SP1. several reboots. No problems there.
> >> 2) Next I install SP2. Reboot. No issues yet.
> >> 3) Then I install the drivers for the video card
> >> (71.84_win2kxp_english.exe). Reboot. all Ok so far.
> >> 4) Next I install the nForce drivers
> >> (nForce_6.39_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe). Reboot...
> >> Now, here's where the fun begins (rather, where the problems start).
> >> After installing the nForce4 drivers, the install routine wants to reboot
> >> the PC. Ok. So as the PC is rebooting and Windows is around halfway
> >> loaded up, the PC just spontaneously reboots all by itself, as if
> >> something were to have pressed the reset button on the case. I eventually
> >> get to the screen that says "Windows did not shut down properly. Please
> >> choose from the following options...". When I choose to "Start normally",
> >> Windows boots right up to the desktop with no issues. This happens EVERY
> >> time I turn my PC on.
> >> The way I see it, it's the nForce drivers causing this to happen, but I'd
> >> really like a second opinion or two.
> >> Any ideas anyone? This is a reall annoyance as you can imagine.
> >> Thanks in advance for any any all thoughts put forth towards this
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> By the way, if it would help to have more information than what I have
> >> supplied, I will attempt to provide it as requested.
> >>
> >> Thank you.
> >> Paul
> >>

> >
> >


Ben Pope 03-13-2005 03:31 PM

Re: UPDATE #2: A8N-SLI Deluxe + nForce4 drivers problem
 
Paul_in_NC wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just flashed the BIOS to 1006. Still having the same issue with the the PC
> rebooting halfway through loading Windows.


Boot up in safe mode.

Change the Video card drivers to standard VGA.

Reboot.

Now, in future, install your chipset drivers before your video card drivers.

Your video card plugs in to your AGP slot, the drivers for the AGP are
called GART and are packaged with your chipset drivers, hence the need
to install them first.

Ben
--
A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...

Paul_in_NC 03-13-2005 03:57 PM

Re: UPDATE #2: A8N-SLI Deluxe + nForce4 drivers problem
 
Ben,
Thank you very much for responding to my issue.

FWIW the Asus A8N-SLI (
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...eluxe&langs=09 ) does not
utilize AGP, it uses PCI-Express (PCI-E) for the video card. Would that make
a difference in your advice?

....So after a *clean* install of XP Pro SP1, are you suggesting that I
should install the nForce4 chipset drivers *before* anything else? Before
SP2, and before the video drivers?

"Ben Pope" <ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1110727859.c08af467988293a099838e0150298946@t eranews...
> Boot up in safe mode.
>
> Change the Video card drivers to standard VGA.
>
> Reboot.
>
> Now, in future, install your chipset drivers before your video card
> drivers.
>
> Your video card plugs in to your AGP slot, the drivers for the AGP are
> called GART and are packaged with your chipset drivers, hence the need to
> install them first.
>
> Ben




Paul_in_NC 03-13-2005 04:07 PM

Re: UPDATE #2: A8N-SLI Deluxe + nForce4 drivers problem
 
As per your advice I d/l and made the Memtest86 bootable ISO. It has been
running constantly for 24 hours with no memory errors yet.
I shall get the Prime95 app and let it run after I have let Memtest86 run
for another 24 hours.
I was wondering, is it possible that the RAM I have isn't up to spec, as far
as the motherboard is concerned?
The RAM I am using is Mushkin PC3200 DDR Dual-Channel (128bits) "Enhanced".
The timings for this RAM are CAS: 2.5-4-4-8.
Even if this Mushkin RAM passes Memtest86 with no errors, could it be the
quality of the RAM itself that is giving me errors?
Also, I only encounter this reboot halfway through XP loading up after I
have installed the nForce4 drivers. I am thinking that it could very well be
an element of the drivers that is maybe in conflict with the RAM?

Has anyone else out there experienced problems with thier PC rebooting
halfway through loading Windows?

TIA

Paul

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message
news:nospam-1203052245020001@192.168.1.178...
> In article <NANYd.2687$wl4.449501@twister.southeast.rr.com> , "Paul_in_NC"
> <pdw98@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I just flashed the BIOS to 1006. Still having the same issue with the the
>> PC
>> rebooting halfway through loading Windows.

>
> First of all, it helps to follow up your own original posting, with
> your updated info, because it is hard for people to figure out which
> post to respond to.
>
> Things that could be wrong:
>
> 1) Bad drivers. Play the driver game - find other versions of
> driver and test them. Uninstall the current ones before installing
> any new ones. If your boot drive is a transplant from another
> computer, do a repair install. That will keep your settings and
> installed programs, but reinstall the OS components. Any windowsupdate
> stuff and service packs not on the original windows install CD
> will have to be reinstalled. (I had to do this, to fix the boot
> disk that had traversed through many computers and video cards.
> The driver situation got out of hand.)
> 2) Inadequate PSU. It is possible a driver is attempting to unleash
> the full power of your video card, and the power blip is killing
> the PSU and causing a hardware reset.
> 3) Basic hardware problem.
>
> Before you got to the point of installing the video drivers,
> there are two tests you should run, to determine whether your
> basic hardware is solid.
>
> Memtest86, from memtest.org, is a program that will format a
> test floppy diskette for you. (An ISO CD version is also available.)
> The program needs no OS, and the bootable floppy will test all of
> memory (it even lifts the test program out of the way, and tests
> underneath).
>
> The second test, is reserved for after the most basic Windows
> install is complete, and you can just manage to get into Windows.
> Get a copy of Prime95 from mersenne.org . The "torture test" option
> from the menu, carries out a computation with a known answer, and
> so the program can determine whether your computer, "really computes".
> Prime95 runs at 100% CPU, and will also test the adequacy of your
> CPU cooling. If your memory or CPU settings are too aggressive,
> Prime95 will die within the first 30 minutes.
>
> If these two tests run error free, then it is time to work on the
> video subsystem. But, at least at that point, you will have
> eliminated the basic hardware as the cause of the problem. I
> would do these two tests, whether the new computer exhibited
> symptoms or not.
>
> HTH,
> Paul
>
>>
>>
>> "Paul_in_NC" <pdw98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:gYMYd.5808$nZ.569728@twister.southeast.rr.com ...
>> > UPDATE:
>> > This last time I rebooted the PC in question, I had to go through the
>> > "Windows did not shut down properly. Please choose from the following
>> > options..." business three times before making it to the desktop.
>> >
>> >
>> > "Paul_in_NC" <pdw98@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > news:wEMYd.5805$nZ.567477@twister.southeast.rr.com ...
>> >> First, here is a list of the hardware involved with my problem:
>> >> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (socket 939)
>> >> Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (BIOS version 1002 - 11/26/2004
>> >> NF-CK804-A8N-SLI-00).
>> >> 512MB Mushkin PC3200 DDR "Enhanced" RAM (x 2 sticks - one in RAM slot
>> >> A1
>> >> and one in RAM slot B2).
>> >> eVGA nVIDIA 6800 Ultra 256MB PCI-E (256-P2-N377-AX).
>> >>
>> >> I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this with an
>> >> A8N-SLI
>> >> Deluxe (or any nForce4 chipset based motherboard):
>> >> 1) First I install WindowsXP Pro SP1. several reboots. No problems
>> >> there.
>> >> 2) Next I install SP2. Reboot. No issues yet.
>> >> 3) Then I install the drivers for the video card
>> >> (71.84_win2kxp_english.exe). Reboot. all Ok so far.
>> >> 4) Next I install the nForce drivers
>> >> (nForce_6.39_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe). Reboot...
>> >> Now, here's where the fun begins (rather, where the problems start).
>> >> After installing the nForce4 drivers, the install routine wants to
>> >> reboot
>> >> the PC. Ok. So as the PC is rebooting and Windows is around halfway
>> >> loaded up, the PC just spontaneously reboots all by itself, as if
>> >> something were to have pressed the reset button on the case. I
>> >> eventually
>> >> get to the screen that says "Windows did not shut down properly.
>> >> Please
>> >> choose from the following options...". When I choose to "Start
>> >> normally",
>> >> Windows boots right up to the desktop with no issues. This happens
>> >> EVERY
>> >> time I turn my PC on.
>> >> The way I see it, it's the nForce drivers causing this to happen, but
>> >> I'd
>> >> really like a second opinion or two.
>> >> Any ideas anyone? This is a reall annoyance as you can imagine.
>> >> Thanks in advance for any any all thoughts put forth towards this
>> >> problem.
>> >>
>> >> By the way, if it would help to have more information than what I have
>> >> supplied, I will attempt to provide it as requested.
>> >>
>> >> Thank you.
>> >> Paul
>> >>
>> >
>> >




Ben Pope 03-13-2005 04:09 PM

Re: UPDATE #2: A8N-SLI Deluxe + nForce4 drivers problem
 
Paul_in_NC wrote:
> Ben,
> Thank you very much for responding to my issue.
>
> FWIW the Asus A8N-SLI (
> http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=...eluxe&langs=09 ) does not
> utilize AGP, it uses PCI-Express (PCI-E) for the video card.


D'oh.

/me Slaps self.

>Would that make a difference in your advice?


No. I always install chipset drivers first.

I'm unsure of how PCIe is presented to the OS, but it doesn't look like
there is even a driver for PCIe in the nForce4 kit.

> ...So after a *clean* install of XP Pro SP1, are you suggesting that I
> should install the nForce4 chipset drivers *before* anything else? Before
> SP2, and before the video drivers?


As a best practice, I tend to slipstream SP2 and install it:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

Then install chipset, then video.

But that probably won't change anything with respect to your problem.

Try Pauls tests and let us know what happens.

Ben
--
A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...

Evelien 03-13-2005 08:53 PM

Re: A8N-SLI Deluxe + nForce4 drivers problem
 

"Paul_in_NC" <pdw98@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
news:wEMYd.5805$nZ.567477@twister.southeast.rr.com ...
> First, here is a list of the hardware involved with my problem:
> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (socket 939)
> Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (BIOS version 1002 - 11/26/2004 NF-CK804-A8N-SLI-00).
> 512MB Mushkin PC3200 DDR "Enhanced" RAM (x 2 sticks - one in RAM slot A1
> and one in RAM slot B2).
> eVGA nVIDIA 6800 Ultra 256MB PCI-E (256-P2-N377-AX).
>
> I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this with an A8N-SLI
> Deluxe (or any nForce4 chipset based motherboard):
> 1) First I install WindowsXP Pro SP1. several reboots. No problems there.
> 2) Next I install SP2. Reboot. No issues yet.
> 3) Then I install the drivers for the video card
> (71.84_win2kxp_english.exe). Reboot. all Ok so far.
> 4) Next I install the nForce drivers
> (nForce_6.39_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe). Reboot...
> Now, here's where the fun begins (rather, where the problems start). After
> installing the nForce4 drivers, the install routine wants to reboot the
> PC. Ok. So as the PC is rebooting and Windows is around halfway loaded up,
> the PC just spontaneously reboots all by itself, as if something were to
> have pressed the reset button on the case. I eventually get to the screen
> that says "Windows did not shut down properly. Please choose from the
> following options...". When I choose to "Start normally", Windows boots
> right up to the desktop with no issues. This happens EVERY time I turn my
> PC on.
> The way I see it, it's the nForce drivers causing this to happen, but I'd
> really like a second opinion or two.
> Any ideas anyone? This is a reall annoyance as you can imagine.
> Thanks in advance for any any all thoughts put forth towards this problem.
>
> By the way, if it would help to have more information than what I have
> supplied, I will attempt to provide it as requested.
>
> Thank you.
> Paul

----------------------------------------------------------Paul i have the
same problem whit 2HD sata and one ide HD when i remove the ide disk is the
problem gone.
Sorry about my bad eng.

GrEEtz
Eefje



Paul 03-14-2005 06:06 AM

Re: UPDATE #2: A8N-SLI Deluxe + nForce4 drivers problem
 
In article <rzZYd.7005$nZ.630699@twister.southeast.rr.com>, "Paul_in_NC"
<pdw98@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As per your advice I d/l and made the Memtest86 bootable ISO. It has been
> running constantly for 24 hours with no memory errors yet.
> I shall get the Prime95 app and let it run after I have let Memtest86 run
> for another 24 hours.
> I was wondering, is it possible that the RAM I have isn't up to spec, as far
> as the motherboard is concerned?
> The RAM I am using is Mushkin PC3200 DDR Dual-Channel (128bits) "Enhanced".
> The timings for this RAM are CAS: 2.5-4-4-8.
> Even if this Mushkin RAM passes Memtest86 with no errors, could it be the
> quality of the RAM itself that is giving me errors?
> Also, I only encounter this reboot halfway through XP loading up after I
> have installed the nForce4 drivers. I am thinking that it could very well be
> an element of the drivers that is maybe in conflict with the RAM?
>
> Has anyone else out there experienced problems with thier PC rebooting
> halfway through loading Windows?
>
> TIA
>
> Paul
>


You don't need to run memtest86 for that long. Prime95 is a better
final quality assurance test, than memtest86. Memtest86 is a test
you run, before booting a hard drive, because if there is something
seriously wrong with the memory, you'll find out in a couple of passes.
If memory is really bad, you can corrupt the registry or worse, when
you first boot up with an old hard drive. Or, if you are doing
a clean install on a new hard drive, and the memory is really bad, the
installed files could be full of corrupted information, as the data
is temporarily stored in memory during the install. Memtest86 is
good for a variety of memory problems, but Prime95 catches stuff that
memtest86 won't find.

(Memtest86 is a structural test, in a sense. The authors use science
in their design of test patterns and methods. Prime95 is a functional
test, and it just thrashes the hell out of the CPU, Northbridge, and
memory. Both have their place, but since Prime95 causes more stress
(even to a weak power supply), more problems will show up with Prime95
than with memtest86. But you run memtest86 first, to reduce the
risk of messing up the info on your disk.)

You do want to run Prime95 for a while, because it takes a while to
run patterns to involve more of the memory.

If you get tired of memtest86/prime95 style testing, check and see
if when booting into Safe Mode, there is a "logging' option. My memory
is foggy now, but some option in Safe mode shows the names of drivers
as they load, and perhaps you might see whether the video driver is
the one causing the reboot.

If the reboot is leaving an error message in the Event Viewer, you might
have a look at it while either booted without the video driver in place
(or when booted in Safe Mode?).

I would expect the Nvidia driver, needs to be combined with the latest
version of DirectX. You might want to visit the Microsoft site and
see what is available (9.0c?).
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

Another tool you might install, is Asus Probe. Find the latest
release version in this list (22304?):

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/downl...Tools&Type=All

Just before you run Prime95 in Windows, install and run Asus Probe.
The hardware monitor chip allows +3.3,+5,+12V to be monitored, and
+12V powers the processor. Most power supplies regulate to +/-5%, so
if the voltage drops below +11.4V (like maybe if it hits +11.0), you
may want to look into getting a supply with more amperes to offer on
the +12V output. (Check the label on the side of the supply, to see
what is required. There is a very nice page in your manual, showing
how many amps are required for some different hardware configs. At
a minimum, I'd want to meet their 17 amps on +12V spec.)

In terms of powering the board, I would want to connect the 2x2 +12V
power connector, either a 20 pin or a 24 pin main power connector,
plus you should connect the EZPlug disk drive connector as well,
even if not running dual card SLI mode. The disk drive cable you
plug into EZPlug should not be shared with disk drives, as there
very well might be too much current draw in the cable. A 20 pin
cable will fit into the main power connector, if it is offset to
one end of the 24 pin motherboard connector.

So, use Asus Probe to keep an eye on the voltage levels while you
are running Prime95. Set the Asus Probe update rate to maximum
speed, so you can get reading very frequently. And see if the
+12V is drooping when Prime95 runs its torture test.

As for the driver situation, Ben was commenting on there being no
PCI Express driver. I haven't read any good articles that explain
the differences, but I understand there is no GART (that is
a memory address translation table, for allowing textures to be
scattered through main memory, yet look contiguous to the video
card). That means there isn't a need for an AGP GART driver, to
set up and make available the GART. i don't know, in fact, what
all the options are now, for getting textures into the video card,
but they have changed from AGP.

At the very least, there has to be some kind of driver/enumeration
for the PCI-E bus bridge. There could be one bridge driver for the
Northbridge and one for the Southbridge, as there is x16 on North
and at least x4 on South. You might look in device manager and see
if any bridges are mentioned in the system area. Perhaps there
are bus bridge drivers of some sort in the Nvidia installer ?

Your problem could be driver related, or it could be power related.
There is a setting in Windows, that distinguishes between doing an
automatic reboot on error, or giving a BSOD. You may want to set
that to not automatically reboot on error, and then perhaps you'll
get a nice BSOD screen, with the name of the offending driver.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=...n2dynamics.com

A hardware related problem (like power supply related), will simply
ignore the "automatic recovery" setting, and not BSOD. So, if you
set the non-automatic recovery option, and it just reboots without
showing a blue screen, suspect the hardware (PSU).

Good luck,
Paul


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.