A8N-SLI SATA locking? Anyone with knowledge of this?

Lon Leader

I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
system.)

What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
two?)?

I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.

So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
connector 3?

-=( Lon )=-

CoCo

Lon Leader skrev:
> I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
> running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
> SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
> system.)
>
> What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
> are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
> two?)?
>
> I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
> nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
> connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.
>
> So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
> connector 3?
>
> -=( Lon )=-

hi

yes do that! (-> sil3114, disable nf4-sata)

coco

Razor

"Lon Leader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
> running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
> SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
> system.)
>
> What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
> are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
> two?)?
>
> I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
> nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
> connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.
>
> So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
> connector 3?
>
> -=( Lon )=-

I think it's locked,cause with my previous board (MSI K8N Neo2-NF3 ultra)i
had to move the drives to sata ports 3 and 4.In 1 and 2 the board couldn't
get above 225FSB.
Anyway is there a tool to report sata speeds?What is the normal speed for
sata,same as PCI(33.33MHz)?

Razor

> hi
>
> yes do that! (-> sil3114, disable nf4-sata)
>
> coco

Well, he can't do that.It's an A8N-SLI with no additional Sata controller as
in deluxe-premium boards.

CoCo

Razor skrev:
>>hi
>>
>>yes do that! (-> sil3114, disable nf4-sata)
>>
>>coco

> Well, he can't do that.It's an A8N-SLI with no additional Sata controller as
> in deluxe-premium boards.

ops...

(one reason to buy multi-satachip mb only)

CoCo

Razor skrev:
> "Lon Leader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
>>running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
>>SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
>>system.)
>>
>>What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
>>are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
>>two?)?
>>
>>I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
>>nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
>>connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.
>>
>>So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
>>connector 3?
>>
>>-=( Lon )=-

> I think it's locked,cause with my previous board (MSI K8N Neo2-NF3 ultra)i
> had to move the drives to sata ports 3 and 4.In 1 and 2 the board couldn't
> get above 225FSB.
> Anyway is there a tool to report sata speeds?What is the normal speed for
> sata,same as PCI(33.33MHz)?

hi

asus >>Adjustable FSB/DDR ratio. Fixed PCIe/PCI/SATA frequencies.

John Lewis

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 04:46:21 -0500, Lon Leader <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
>running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
>SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
>system.)
>
>What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
>are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
>two?)?
>
>I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
>nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
>connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.
>
>So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
>connector 3?
>
>-=( Lon )=-

It's not. ( Otherwise it would not work AT ALL, particularly @ 20%
overclock !! )

FYI, if you intend to overclock on a permanent basis, confirm your
20% overclock stability by running 2 simultaneous instances of Prime
95 one set to Affinity 0, the other Affinity 1 and run the 3 default
Torture-test modes for at least 8 hours each. (Verify 100% CPU
are acceptable, otherwise you will eventually have 'unexplained'
flakiness and maybe the loss of vital data.

John Lewis

Lon Leader

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:14:41 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (John Lewis)
wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 04:46:21 -0500, Lon Leader <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
>>running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
>>SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
>>system.)
>>
>>What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
>>are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
>>two?)?
>>
>>I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
>>nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
>>connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.
>>
>>So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
>>connector 3?
>>
>>-=( Lon )=-

>It's not. ( Otherwise it would not work AT ALL, particularly @ 20%
>overclock !! )
>
>FYI, if you intend to overclock on a permanent basis, confirm your
>20% overclock stability by running 2 simultaneous instances of Prime
>95 one set to Affinity 0, the other Affinity 1 and run the 3 default
>Torture-test modes for at least 8 hours each. (Verify 100% CPU
>are acceptable, otherwise you will eventually have 'unexplained'
>flakiness and maybe the loss of vital data.
>
>John Lewis

Hi John. I have run 2 copies of Prime95, the second started with the
-A1 parameter, but only for approx. 1/2 hour. I will try running the
three tests for 8 hours each as you suggest. The first two tests do
indicate 100% cpu usage in task manager, but the individual graphs for
each core also show 100% usage on both (not the 50% each you
mentioned).

I had to set the vCore to 1.40v. I have the Hyper Transport divider
set to 4 (with the 20% oc = 960) and the memory set to 333 (the 20% oc
brings it back to 400). I'm not out to set overclocking records - I
just like the thought of having a X2 4600+ for the price of a X2 3800+
(in Canada, $800 vs $400).

-=( Lon )=-

John Lewis

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:18:40 -0500, Lon Leader <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:14:41 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (John Lewis)
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 04:46:21 -0500, Lon Leader <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
>>>running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
>>>SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
>>>system.)
>>>
>>>What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
>>>are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
>>>two?)?
>>>
>>>I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
>>>nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
>>>connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.
>>>
>>>So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
>>>connector 3?
>>>
>>>-=( Lon )=-

>>It's not. ( Otherwise it would not work AT ALL, particularly @ 20%
>>overclock !! )
>>
>>FYI, if you intend to overclock on a permanent basis, confirm your
>>20% overclock stability by running 2 simultaneous instances of Prime
>>95 one set to Affinity 0, the other Affinity 1 and run the 3 default
>>Torture-test modes for at least 8 hours each. (Verify 100% CPU
>>are acceptable, otherwise you will eventually have 'unexplained'
>>flakiness and maybe the loss of vital data.
>>
>>John Lewis

>Hi John. I have run 2 copies of Prime95, the second started with the
>-A1 parameter, but only for approx. 1/2 hour. I will try running the
>three tests for 8 hours each as you suggest. The first two tests do
>indicate 100% cpu usage in task manager, but the individual graphs for
>each core also show 100% usage on both (not the 50% each you
>mentioned).

Depends how you display it. You are executing correctly.

>I had to set the vCore to 1.40v. I have the Hyper Transport divider
>set to 4 (with the 20% oc = 960) and the memory set to 333 (the 20% oc
>brings it back to 400). I'm not out to set overclocking records - I
>just like the thought of having a X2 4600+ for the price of a X2 3800+
>(in Canada, $800 vs $400).

Seems fine to me. Your settings look correct. I have a 4400+ running
at ~ 20% overclock ( ~ 2.65GHz ) and require 1.5V on that particular
one to get to 20% o/c stable. At 1.4 volts I can get to 2.5 GHz
stable. BTW, there is a sweet spot for core voltage -- too high
rapidly raises the power dissipation/internal heat, slowing the
silicon, besides undesirable long-term heat and voltage stress.
Anyway, check for the 8 hours per test. Especially Torture test #2
( max heat etc ).

John Lewis

Re: anyone have knowledge about dell vostro 1720 laptop? Doug Laptops 0 10-30-2009 12:32 AM
small team's knowledge/document management issue sailor.gu@gmail.com Embedded 13 09-18-2005 05:24 AM
OT: Knowledge management (for Embedded engineers) Jon S. Embedded 19 10-27-2004 08:43 PM
knowledge Robert AMD Overclocking 13 05-30-2004 10:47 AM
Searching partners with 'GNU GDB debug port' knowledge ! Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch Embedded 0 05-04-2004 09:31 PM