AA8XE 3rd eye problem

Jason

Hi All

Well I jumped into the deep end and am putting this system together.

AA8XE 3rd eye
P4 3.6
Samsung 400mhz 512 mb memory
Maxtor hd
cdrom
evga 6600gt vid card

Now the problems start.

When it boots it does the mem check, detects the hard drive and cdrom but
when it actually tries to boot either from the hard drive or the cdrom it
hangs with the code of FF which from what I can tell is the code that it is
booting. It will try to boot from the cd or harddrive and with windows

I have tried reseating everything, moved the ram to different slots, a
second power supply and all results the same. When I did move the ram once
it beeped constant on reboot but I reseated it again and it hung in the same
spot.

I'm not sure if I described this very well but I sure hope someone can offer
some suggestions.

Please post back to the group as the reply email is no good.

Thanks

Jason

Richard Hopkins

"Jason" wrote in message...
> Now the problems start.
>
> When it boots it does the mem check, detects the hard drive and
> cdrom but when it actually tries to boot either from the hard drive
> or the cdrom it hangs with the code of FF which from what I can
> tell is the code that it is booting.

Should mean good POST, proceeding to boot, yeah.

> It will try to boot from the cd or harddrive and with windows

Do you mean you're trying to load a pre-existing Windows XP setup? If you
are, that's your mistake. You should expect Windows to barf in this scenario
as the Hardware Abstraction Layer will be broken by the change of hardware.

> I'm not sure if I described this very well but I sure hope someone can
> offer some suggestions.

You're correct to think that your description isn't very, well, descriptive.
It appears as though you're making the common mistake and assuming that your
old XP install will magically boot despite wholesale hardware changes.

What, exactly, happens when you try and boot your Windows XP setup CD? Are
you able to install the necessary drivers from the floppy disk supplied with
the board? Can you get as far as the GUI portion of Windows setup, what?

Can we also presume that you've checked your CPU temperatures and found them
within safe limits? A mal-installed heatsink/fan assembly can cause hard
locks due to the severe throttling that'll be provoked.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Jason

"Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41ffa7c0$0$19166$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jason" wrote in message...
> > Now the problems start.
> >
> > When it boots it does the mem check, detects the hard drive and
> > cdrom but when it actually tries to boot either from the hard drive
> > or the cdrom it hangs with the code of FF which from what I can
> > tell is the code that it is booting.

> Should mean good POST, proceeding to boot, yeah.
>
> > It will try to boot from the cd or harddrive and with windows

> Do you mean you're trying to load a pre-existing Windows XP setup? If you
> are, that's your mistake. You should expect Windows to barf in this

scenario
> as the Hardware Abstraction Layer will be broken by the change of

hardware.

I did try this first time. I thought what the heck! Didn't work.

> > I'm not sure if I described this very well but I sure hope someone can
> > offer some suggestions.

> You're correct to think that your description isn't very, well,

descriptive.
> It appears as though you're making the common mistake and assuming that

your
> old XP install will magically boot despite wholesale hardware changes.
>
> What, exactly, happens when you try and boot your Windows XP setup CD? Are
> you able to install the necessary drivers from the floppy disk supplied

with
> the board? Can you get as far as the GUI portion of Windows setup, what?

When I boot from win xp cd it says that it had difficulties loading how
would I like to boot. I have selected safe mode with and without networking
as well as last know config and start normal. All options result in a hang.

I have also tried to boot from a maxtor boot/format disk. It says that it's
starting to load msdos and then hangs.

The floppy that came with the board is for sata drivers. I have no need for
them at this point.(no sata drives)

> Can we also presume that you've checked your CPU temperatures and found

them
> within safe limits? A mal-installed heatsink/fan assembly can cause hard
> locks due to the severe throttling that'll be provoked.
> --

The highest cpu temp I have seen is 30 C

This should be OK right?

Thanks for helping Richard. I appreciate it.

Jason

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

Richard Hopkins

"Jason" wrote in message...
> When I boot from win xp cd it says that it had difficulties loading
> how would I like to boot.

Steady on now, the computer is not starting the way you think.

The menu/message you are describing is *not* from the WinXP CD, it's the
emergency boot menu being loaded from your hard disk.

> I have selected safe mode with and without networking
> as well as last know config and start normal. All options
> result in a hang.

This is not surprising. The system is *still* trying to load your old,
existing XP installation, and is falling over for the reasons expressed
previously.

> I have also tried to boot from a maxtor boot/format disk.

Don't.

> The floppy that came with the board is for sata drivers. I have no
> need for them at this point.(no sata drives)

Noted, you didn't say last time what sort of hard disk you had! The one
thing this means is that you presumably have the CD-ROM and hard disks on
the same 80 wire ATA cable. This shouldn't cause undue problems, but it
isn't ideal either.

> The highest cpu temp I have seen is 30 C
> This should be OK right?

On a Prescott? That's almost miraculously low. Still, it's difficult to see
a scenario where this is wrong, so we'll fly with that for the time being.

> Thanks for helping Richard. I appreciate it.

No worries. Right, from what you've said so far, the system is *not* booting
from the CD-ROM when you think it is. Two possible explanations for this:

1) The system is not trying to boot from the CD at all
2) You're missing the "hit any key" prompt when the CD boots.

The second one is self-explanatory. Immediately the post completes, you
should see a message on screen saying "Booting from CD", shortly followed by
another message saying "Press any key to boot from CD". You only have a
second or two to hit a key before the system reverts to booting from the
hard disk, so make sure you're getting in quick enough!

If the system's not booting from the CD at all, you obviously won't see the
"Booting from CD" prompt before the emergency startup menu is displayed. If
this happens you may have to force the boot order, by setting the first boot
device to "CDROM" and disabling the second and third devices, as well as
"boot other device".
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Jason

"Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41ffd13a$0$19162$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jason" wrote in message...
> > When I boot from win xp cd it says that it had difficulties loading
> > how would I like to boot.

> Steady on now, the computer is not starting the way you think.
>
> The menu/message you are describing is *not* from the WinXP CD, it's the
> emergency boot menu being loaded from your hard disk.

That is almost what I thought but hey I don't do this every day.

> > I have selected safe mode with and without networking
> > as well as last know config and start normal. All options
> > result in a hang.

> This is not surprising. The system is *still* trying to load your old,
> existing XP installation, and is falling over for the reasons expressed
> previously.
>
> > I have also tried to boot from a maxtor boot/format disk.

> Don't.

OK, Any real reason?

> > The floppy that came with the board is for sata drivers. I have no
> > need for them at this point.(no sata drives)

> Noted, you didn't say last time what sort of hard disk you had! The one
> thing this means is that you presumably have the CD-ROM and hard disks on
> the same 80 wire ATA cable. This shouldn't cause undue problems, but it
> isn't ideal either.

Ahh sorry about that. It's a Maxtor 120 Gig hooked up just like you
presume. When it posts (right terminolgy I think) it does see both the
harddrive and the cdrom. What is a better solution? This board only has the
one socket for the cable, my old be6 II has the primary and secondary. Only
other option would be to go to sata right?

> > The highest cpu temp I have seen is 30 C
> > This should be OK right?

> On a Prescott? That's almost miraculously low. Still, it's difficult to

see
> a scenario where this is wrong, so we'll fly with that for the time being.

It's only ran off and on for a few minutes.

> > Thanks for helping Richard. I appreciate it.

> No worries. Right, from what you've said so far, the system is *not*

booting
> from the CD-ROM when you think it is. Two possible explanations for this:
>
> 1) The system is not trying to boot from the CD at all
> 2) You're missing the "hit any key" prompt when the CD boots.
>
> The second one is self-explanatory. Immediately the post completes, you
> should see a message on screen saying "Booting from CD", shortly followed

by
> another message saying "Press any key to boot from CD". You only have a
> second or two to hit a key before the system reverts to booting from the
> hard disk, so make sure you're getting in quick enough!
>
> If the system's not booting from the CD at all, you obviously won't see

the
> "Booting from CD" prompt before the emergency startup menu is displayed.

If
> this happens you may have to force the boot order, by setting the first

boot
> device to "CDROM" and disabling the second and third devices, as well as
> "boot other device".

Well I don't think I am seeing the "Press any key to boot from cd" but this
thing does post and start to boot up fast.

I'll set the only boot option to cdrom, disable the others and see what
happens.

Bad part about this is I can't do anything for about 5-6 hours. I'm at work
now.

You going to stay up late and help me out Richard?

Jason

"Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> That is almost what I thought but hey I don't do this every
> day.

Lol, no problem!

>> > I have also tried to boot from a maxtor boot/format disk.

>> Don't.

> OK, Any real reason?

A couple. Firstly, even under ideal circumstances, this boot disk doesn't
get you where you need to be. Secondly, these utility disks given out by
hard disk manufacturers often try to install BIOS overlays and other
unnecessary crap. You don't want that sort of thing anywhere near your PC.

> When it posts (right terminolgy I think) it does see both the
> harddrive and the cdrom. What is a better solution?

Can't remember whether the AA8XE comes with a Serillel adapter, but if it
does you could use that to connect the hard disk and keep the optical drive
on its own.

> This board only has the one socket for the cable, my old be6 II
> has the primary and secondary. Only other option would be to
> go to sata right?

Yep, that's progress for you!

> It's only ran off and on for a few minutes.

Even so, that's likely to be about where the idle temperature is likely to
be. Is this CPU a 560, or a 560J?

> Well I don't think I am seeing the "Press any key to boot from cd"
> but this thing does post and start to boot up fast.

Yeah, it can be tricky to get the timing right. You should at very least see
the access light on the CD drive blink when the boot process begins, if it
is trying to boot from the CD. If you see it, start hammering one of the
keys on the keyboard for a few seconds and you should get the XP setup
initiated. If you don't see the CD being accessed...

> I'll set the only boot option to cdrom, disable the others and see
> what happens.

That should force CD boot, but you'll still need to do the "hit any key"
thing to start XP setup.

> You going to stay up late and help me out Richard?

Lol, I'm off to my pit as soon as I've got my work out of the way. There are
plenty of other clued-in posters on your side of the pond though!
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Jason

"Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41fff09e$0$19163$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > That is almost what I thought but hey I don't do this every
> > day.

> Lol, no problem!

> >> Don't.

> > OK, Any real reason?

> A couple. Firstly, even under ideal circumstances, this boot disk doesn't
> get you where you need to be. Secondly, these utility disks given out by
> hard disk manufacturers often try to install BIOS overlays and other
> unnecessary crap. You don't want that sort of thing anywhere near your PC.

Good enough reason for me. Most third party crap is just that.

> > When it posts (right terminolgy I think) it does see both the
> > harddrive and the cdrom. What is a better solution?

> Can't remember whether the AA8XE comes with a Serillel adapter, but if it
> does you could use that to connect the hard disk and keep the optical

drive
> on its own.

hmm I'll have to look into this.

> > This board only has the one socket for the cable, my old be6 II
> > has the primary and secondary. Only other option would be to
> > go to sata right?

> Yep, that's progress for you!
>
> > It's only ran off and on for a few minutes.

> Even so, that's likely to be about where the idle temperature is likely to
> be. Is this CPU a 560, or a 560J?

Off the top of my head I'm not sure. It's the 800mhz fsb. That I know.

> > Well I don't think I am seeing the "Press any key to boot from cd"
> > but this thing does post and start to boot up fast.

> Yeah, it can be tricky to get the timing right. You should at very least

see
> the access light on the CD drive blink when the boot process begins, if it
> is trying to boot from the CD. If you see it, start hammering one of the
> keys on the keyboard for a few seconds and you should get the XP setup
> initiated. If you don't see the CD being accessed...
>
> > I'll set the only boot option to cdrom, disable the others and see
> > what happens.

> That should force CD boot, but you'll still need to do the "hit any key"
> thing to start XP setup.

OK I forced it to boot from CD and seen the "hit any button" and did just
that. It then cleared the screen and the only thing I seen it do was a
flashing curser in the top lefthand corner of the screen and it locked up
there. Cdrom spins up and stays spun up for a bit then nothing. Had to
do a power button restart to try again with the same results.

> > You going to stay up late and help me out Richard?

> Lol, I'm off to my pit as soon as I've got my work out of the way. There

are
> plenty of other clued-in posters on your side of the pond though!

Have a good nap!

Jason

"Jason" wrote in message...
> Off the top of my head I'm not sure. It's the 800mhz fsb.

We already knew that, all Prescott P4's are. ;-) IIRC the -J CPU's are
supposed to have better power/temperature management than the earlier ones.
This might explain your unusually low temperatures.

> OK I forced it to boot from CD and seen the "hit any button" and
> did just that. It then cleared the screen and the only thing I seen it
> do was a flashing curser in the top lefthand corner of the screen
> and it locked up there.

Downer. Sounds like the system can't download the XP installer for some
reason. Take it there's no physical damage to the CD? Have you got another
CD or DVD drive to try?

Would also be worth going through the BIOS and setting everything to
conservative/safe values.

Right, I'm off, see how you get on!
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

borolad@myowseintheboro.org

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:51:53 -0000, "Richard Hopkins"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Jason" wrote in message...
>> Off the top of my head I'm not sure. It's the 800mhz fsb.

>We already knew that, all Prescott P4's are. ;-) IIRC the -J CPU's are
>supposed to have better power/temperature management than the earlier ones.
>This might explain your unusually low temperatures.

>> OK I forced it to boot from CD and seen the "hit any button" and
>> did just that. It then cleared the screen and the only thing I seen it
>> do was a flashing curser in the top lefthand corner of the screen
>> and it locked up there.

>Downer. Sounds like the system can't download the XP installer for some
>reason. Take it there's no physical damage to the CD? Have you got another
>CD or DVD drive to try?

>Would also be worth going through the BIOS and setting everything to
>conservative/safe values.

- How old is the CD ROM ?
- UDMA set in BIOS ?, try PIO mode on the CD ROM
- etc

>Right, I'm off, see how you get on!

Jason Andersen

Hi all

Sorry for the massive long delay in posting the conclusion to this saga!

In the end it boiled down to this: It would see both of the devices hooked
to the one ide channel BUT it would NOT read or write data from both. So it
would try to boot off of the old windows install on the hard drive and of
coarse fail or if the jumpers were switched (master-slave) it would boot
from CD but have no hard drive to transfer data to. I ended up
taking it to 2 computer shops to have them try to get it to work. First one
(where I got the mobo) tried multiple ide drives and said they didn't know
and only gave me attitude.... Second one (where I deal now) actually helped
me out and got it figured.

So the fast and easy (not so cheap) solution was to get a SATA hard drive
and install that.

The only other slight problem I have is the excess noise on the speakers
from the onboard sound. It seems to pick up some fan/harddrive/??other noise
somehow. You can hear the pitch of the sound change as the harddrive or
cdrom spin up and down.

Has anyone ran into any of these problems with this board? Either the single
channel ide problem or the sound problem? Maybe I do have a pooched mobo
but it seems to be working other wise.

Again thanks all for the help.

Jason

news:42001618$0$19159$(E-Mail Removed)...