Travis Jordan

MWave has this motherboard for $25 plus shipping. I'm considering the
AB60R with a 2.0G Celeron, 512mb RAM, a 120GB WD Caviar IDE drive and an
FX5200 video card for a $250 Mandrivia Linux box.

Any comments?

Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
> Any comments?

FWIW, I ordered the board and built up the system. Mandrivia 10.2
correctly identified all the hardware, and the total install including
all the applications took about 23 minutes. More than three times as
fast and easier by far than any Windoze installation I've done (and I've
done plenty).

Headstomp

I got the same board. It was easy to install but I do not have any
sound at all.
Ive updated everything iuncluding the Bios. Im running winxp 2
Did you have to set jumpers or something to get the sound to work.
Its weird.
Mandrivia 10.2 what exactly is that?
any help would be greatly appreciated

Travis Jordan

Headstomp wrote:
> I got the same board. It was easy to install but I do not have any
> sound at all.
> Ive updated everything iuncluding the Bios. Im running winxp 2
> Did you have to set jumpers or something to get the sound to work.
> Its weird.
> Mandrivia 10.2 what exactly is that?

FWIW, my sound is OK. The ALC650 is a long-lived and well respected
sound chip. Most likely it is a driver problem. Do you see anything
weird in Device Manager? You can always get the OEM drivers off the
Realtek site at
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&Software=True

Mandrivia 10.2 is a Linux release.

Headstomp

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nothing weird in the device manager at all.(no yellow exclamation
pionts) When I play an audio file it would play in my winmedia player,
but no sound at all. I check properties made sure the default settings
where check showing the proper audio device is showing. Even switch
speakers. I also put in a SBlive card and no sound at all and that uses
a different codec altogether right? I thought it was a codec problem as
well and dled the latest audio codec from shuttle. (which was dated
back in 03 btw)

I will try the OEM when I get home.

Thanks again. I thought I had to adjust a jumper or something. (see
page 38 of the manual) Im sure the 05 codec should do the trick. I hope

Travis Jordan

Headstomp wrote:
> Nothing weird in the device manager at all.(no yellow exclamation
> pionts) When I play an audio file it would play in my winmedia player,
> but no sound at all. I check properties made sure the default settings
> where check showing the proper audio device is showing. Even switch
> speakers. I also put in a SBlive card and no sound at all and that
> uses a different codec altogether right? I thought it was a codec
> problem as well and dled the latest audio codec from shuttle. (which
> was dated back in 03 btw)

The only setting I'm aware of is in the BIOS (enable onboard audio or
some such). The fact that a separate sound card doesn't work either
makes me think it is either a bad amplified speaker or a Windows codec
problem as you describe. The OEM driver is for the Realtek chip only.
It is not a codec.

Do you have a CD-ROM drive in your system, and is it connected with an
analog cable to the motherboard? If so, does that work?

Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
> Do you have a CD-ROM drive in your system, and is it connected with an
> analog cable to the motherboard? If so, does that work?

Also, in the XP Sounds control panel do you get any sound when you
select a Windows sound scheme and then play one of the Windows sounds?

Headstomp

Nope nothing at all when i try the cdrom and the Windows sound.

I thought the speaker might be bad but i unplugged the speakers and
plugged it into my mp3 player and the speakers worked fine.

Very weird becuase a seperate audio card sound should have worked.

Everything shows that the sound is playing its just nothing coming out.
I dont even hear anything when the windows logo start up. Ill trouble
shoot alittle longer.

Im also getting a weird boot up error.
I get an onboard error or keyboard not present error during post boot
screen
I have to unplugge my keyboard than restart it up because everything
froze up
other than that everything is fine.
I think my keyboard maybe uncompatible or something even though it is a
P/S2 keyboard
Ive updated the bios using the update from shuttle but now i wonder if
there is even a more updated version that the 03 year one

Thank again for your help and insight Im sure Ill get everything up and
working soon

Travis Jordan

Headstomp wrote:
> Thank again for your help and insight Im sure Ill get everything up
> and working soon

You might want to be sure to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS and
try the separate sound card again.

Anyway, when you figure it out let us know what the problem turns out to
be.

Headstomp

Nothing at all with the new audio codecs

I am going to switch back to sblive now
btw i have the ATI 9200se graphics card
could that be a problem?
i cant even get to www.ati.com for some reason to check for updates
im beginning to think its a compatiblity issue with the card