AB9 Pro DDR2 Problems

Glenn

Okay I give up, what's the trick? What ddr2 800 memory is compatible with
my AB9 Pro?

I assembled the system a few months ago, used two Corsair ddr2 800 XMS2
512 Mg sticks in DIMM 1 and 2. It ran like a charm, very stable. Then last
week I bought a Corsair 1 gig DDR2 800 stick, put it in DIMM 3. Ran great
for 3 days, then I was plagued by system freezes. Also, when turning the
system on, there would be no post, no video, just a power on light on the
cpu. It would take several tries to get the pc to come up.
I poked around the web for answers, tried upping the DDR2 voltage - that
seemed to work for a while, then back to system freezes. I upgraded the
bios to the latest and greatest from ABIT, but that didn't help either.

I ended up taking the new 1 gig stick out, and returning the bios
settings back to default by resetting the jumper on the mobo. I'd rather
have a stable system with 1 gig of ram than an unstable system with 2 gigs,
although that does tic me off.

Okay, what ddr2 800 sticks of ram do you guys use? Did you do anything to
get it to work? Should I try a second Corsair 1 gig DDR2 800 stick, and put
them in DIMM 1 and 2 and take the 512's out? Buy some slower ram, like ddr2
533, or ddr2 800 from another manufacturor?

peter

The choice is yours..................buy another 1gig of the same ram and
use it with the 1gig stick you have..leaving the 2x512 out
or buy 2 more 512 sticks and leave the 1gig out
the board has problems with different sized ram
peter
"Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns99A5783E09AA5noemailnospamcom@66.250.146.1 28...
> Okay I give up, what's the trick? What ddr2 800 memory is compatible with
> my AB9 Pro?
>
> I assembled the system a few months ago, used two Corsair ddr2 800 XMS2
> 512 Mg sticks in DIMM 1 and 2. It ran like a charm, very stable. Then last
> week I bought a Corsair 1 gig DDR2 800 stick, put it in DIMM 3. Ran great
> for 3 days, then I was plagued by system freezes. Also, when turning the
> system on, there would be no post, no video, just a power on light on the
> cpu. It would take several tries to get the pc to come up.
> I poked around the web for answers, tried upping the DDR2 voltage - that
> seemed to work for a while, then back to system freezes. I upgraded the
> bios to the latest and greatest from ABIT, but that didn't help either.
>
> I ended up taking the new 1 gig stick out, and returning the bios
> settings back to default by resetting the jumper on the mobo. I'd rather
> have a stable system with 1 gig of ram than an unstable system with 2
> gigs,
> although that does tic me off.
>
> Okay, what ddr2 800 sticks of ram do you guys use? Did you do anything to
> get it to work? Should I try a second Corsair 1 gig DDR2 800 stick, and
> put
> them in DIMM 1 and 2 and take the 512's out? Buy some slower ram, like
> ddr2
> 533, or ddr2 800 from another manufacturor?

Mark H

Glenn wrote:
> Okay I give up, what's the trick? What ddr2 800 memory is compatible with
> my AB9 Pro?
>
> I assembled the system a few months ago, used two Corsair ddr2 800 XMS2
> 512 Mg sticks in DIMM 1 and 2. It ran like a charm, very stable. Then last
> week I bought a Corsair 1 gig DDR2 800 stick, put it in DIMM 3. Ran great
> for 3 days, then I was plagued by system freezes. Also, when turning the
> system on, there would be no post, no video, just a power on light on the
> cpu. It would take several tries to get the pc to come up.
> I poked around the web for answers, tried upping the DDR2 voltage - that
> seemed to work for a while, then back to system freezes. I upgraded the
> bios to the latest and greatest from ABIT, but that didn't help either.
>
> I ended up taking the new 1 gig stick out, and returning the bios
> settings back to default by resetting the jumper on the mobo. I'd rather
> have a stable system with 1 gig of ram than an unstable system with 2 gigs,
> although that does tic me off.
>
> Okay, what ddr2 800 sticks of ram do you guys use? Did you do anything to
> get it to work? Should I try a second Corsair 1 gig DDR2 800 stick, and put
> them in DIMM 1 and 2 and take the 512's out? Buy some slower ram, like ddr2
> 533, or ddr2 800 from another manufacturor?

Sounds like the 1gig stick went bad, try using memtest to verify it.
Right now I've got OCZ in my AB9PRO, but I'm going to crucial ballistic
next.