Abit AN7 motherboard fan monitoring

Daniel

I have an A-bit AN7 motherboard - and while all it's fan monitoring is
lovely - it get's pretty annoying when the supplied northbridge fan starts
to go wrong, and grinds along at about 500rpm, since it starts an annoying
alarm siren sound until the fan manages to make it up to 1000rpm minimum.

I read someone's review saying they replaced this fan on the AN7, with one
of the zalman fan-less heat sinks, which is what I also want to do - but
does anyone know if this is going to cause the alarm to go constantly?
Surely if it's recieving no signal of fan speed, it will assume the fan has
broken, and start alarming?

Is there any way to stop the board monitoring the northbridge fan?
Looking in the windows based uguru software you can only reduce the minimum
rpm for the fan to 1000, but cannot set it to 0, or turn off monitoring.

Thanks,
Daniel.

YanquiDawg

If the heatsink is large enough and you have decent aiflow through your case
then it will work fine.
You can probably turn off the alarm in the BIOS.

> have an A-bit AN7 motherboard - and while all it's fan monitoring is
>lovely - it get's pretty annoying when the supplied northbridge fan starts
>to go wrong, and grinds along at about 500rpm, since it starts an annoying
>alarm siren sound until the fan manages to make it up to 1000rpm minimum.

>I read someone's review saying they replaced this fan on the AN7, with one
>of the zalman fan-less heat sinks, which is what I also want to do - but
>does anyone know if this is going to cause the alarm to go constantly?
>Surely if it's recieving no signal of fan speed, it will assume the fan has
>broken, and start alarming?

>Is there any way to stop the board monitoring the northbridge fan?
>Looking in the windows based uguru software you can only reduce the minimum
>rpm for the fan to 1000, but cannot set it to 0, or turn off monitoring.

Wizard

You can do it in the BIOS.