abit be6 II and 512MB SDRAM PC133

jibet

Hi all,

The specification of the ABIT BE6 II says that each slot supports memory up
to 256MB PC133. Is this a physical limitation or just a note because 512MB
SDRAM memory did not exist when the board was realeased ?

Put in other words, is there a chance that I could install 512MB SDRAM PC133
modules on my ABIT BE6 II ?

Richard Hopkins

"jibet"wrote in message...
> The specification of the ABIT BE6 II says that each slot supports
> memory up to 256MB PC133. Is this a physical limitation or just a note
> because 512MB SDRAM memory did not exist when the
> board was realeased ?

No, it's a physical limitation of the 440BX chipset. To say that each slot
supports 256MB is factually incomplete anyway. The full story is that these
boards support a maximum of 128MB per *bank*. One bank is one side of a
DIMM. Thus, if you do install 256MB sticks, they *must* be double-sided to
be fully recognised.

> Put in other words, is there a chance that I could install 512MB
> SDRAM PC133 modules on my ABIT BE6 II ?

Yeah, you can install them by all means, but, depending on whether it's
single or double sided, only 128 or 256MB of each stick will be recognised
by the motherboard.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom