Abit IC7-G Overheating - Chipset Fan?

Backwoods171

Built my computer 4 years ago and worked flawlessly until current issue
Abit IC7-G motherboard, Pentium 4 3ghz 800m 478P. No overclocking
Originally 1 mg Kingston ram, added additional 1 mg ram about 6 week
ago. 2 weeks ago CPU started overheating. CPU temp starts out at 35
quickly rises to >70, then shuts down. All fans working (including CP
fan), EXCEPT small fan on the motherboard (chipset fan?). Can this b
problem? If so, can it be fixed or do I need new motherboard? Also
have read about passive heatsinks, particularly Zalman. Are thes
better than fans? Do you remove the fan and install where fan was o
does it go elsewhere on MB?

Not very technical, so appreciate any help. Thanks

--
Backwoods17
Backwoods171's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/members/3954.ht

http://www.futurehardware.i

peter

I would take the present heatsink/fan off the CPU and clean off all of the
old thermal..whatever is there.I use nail polish remover or Isopropyl
Alcohol.Remove all traces from both the heatsink and the CPU......carefully
using a sponge Qtip or a non lint cloth dampened with the acohol.
I would check and clean out the heatsink and fan...compressed air...while
doing that might as well check all the fans and clean'em.
I would reapply a better thermal compound...Arctic Silver comes to
mind...then reassemble and test.
If the temp holds steady at this point it was a case of the old compound/pad
wearing out.
The small chipset fan can either be replaced or fixed.remove it and peel
back the label in the middle then carefully add 1/2 drop of 3in1 oil.spin
the fan a few times to test for free movement.stick the label back and
return the fan to its location.Turn the machine on and see if it
spins........if not replace the fan.looking at the pic's of mobo I see
that's one hell of a fan.
let us know
peter
"Backwoods171" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Built my computer 4 years ago and worked flawlessly until current issue.
> Abit IC7-G motherboard, Pentium 4 3ghz 800m 478P. No overclocking.
> Originally 1 mg Kingston ram, added additional 1 mg ram about 6 weeks
> ago. 2 weeks ago CPU started overheating. CPU temp starts out at 35,
> quickly rises to >70, then shuts down. All fans working (including CPU
> fan), EXCEPT small fan on the motherboard (chipset fan?). Can this be
> problem? If so, can it be fixed or do I need new motherboard? Also,
> have read about passive heatsinks, particularly Zalman. Are these
> better than fans? Do you remove the fan and install where fan was or
> does it go elsewhere on MB?
>
> Not very technical, so appreciate any help. Thanks.
>

> --
> Backwoods171
> Backwoods171's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/members/3954.htm
> View this thread: http://www.futurehardware.in/599142.htm
>
> http://www.futurehardware.in

Backwoods171

Removed and cleaned CPU fan and heatsink. Could tell once I removed i
that this was most likey the problem. It was extremely clogged wit
dust, which is not surprising as it has basically been on continuousl
for about 4 years. Cleaned off old and applied new thermal compoun
when replacing. Also replaced old (non-working) chipset fan an
heatsink with new swiftech MCX159 fan and heatsink.
Idle temperature is now about 40C and goes up to about 50C with heav
load, but mostly around 45C on routine use. I assume these temperature
are normal?

Thank you very much for guidance. Appears to have worked

--
Backwoods17
Backwoods171's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/members/3954.ht
View this thread: http://www.futurehardware.in/599142.ht

http://www.futurehardware.i

SumGuy

Not familiar with those boards but my XP CPU runs about 20 C over ambient
temp under light load.

Most cases I have used cause the temp to go up a few degrees. I modded one
so this didn't happen, but be aware this can happen with cheaper cases. Easy
to test just see if there is a difference with the sides off.

Sometimes the silicone thermal pastes, (white in colour usually), migrate
their way to the bottom edge of the heatsink over time, due to heat and
gravity I expect. I haven't noticed this with the silver pastes.

You would have noticed the fan blades get covered in crud as well, reducing
their efficiency.

Unless your over clocking, chipset fans aren't really needed. A heatsink
yes, but I expect the draft caused by the CPU fan is enough to keep it cool.
I don't think there are too many cases of stock boards with over heating
chipsets.

"Backwoods171" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Removed and cleaned CPU fan and heatsink. Could tell once I removed it
> that this was most likey the problem. It was extremely clogged with
> dust, which is not surprising as it has basically been on continuously
> for about 4 years. Cleaned off old and applied new thermal compound
> when replacing. Also replaced old (non-working) chipset fan and
> heatsink with new swiftech MCX159 fan and heatsink.
> Idle temperature is now about 40C and goes up to about 50C with heavy
> load, but mostly around 45C on routine use. I assume these temperatures
> are normal?
>
> Thank you very much for guidance. Appears to have worked!
>

> --
> Backwoods171
> Backwoods171's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/members/3954.htm
> View this thread: http://www.futurehardware.in/599142.htm
>
> http://www.futurehardware.in

"Backwoods171" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Removed and cleaned CPU fan and heatsink. Could tell once I removed it
> that this was most likey the problem. It was extremely clogged with
> dust, which is not surprising as it has basically been on continuously
> for about 4 years. Cleaned off old and applied new thermal compound
> when replacing. Also replaced old (non-working) chipset fan and
> heatsink with new swiftech MCX159 fan and heatsink.
> Idle temperature is now about 40C and goes up to about 50C with heavy
> load, but mostly around 45C on routine use. I assume these temperatures
> are normal?

Entirely.

BTW the MCX159 is way overkill for the IC7-G's Northbridge.
Last year I replaced Abit's crappy stock fan/hs with a fanless
Zalman, it was the best ten bucks I've ever spent on this system:
http://www.svc.com/zm-nbf47.html

Bob Smith

here's a picture of my hardware monitor for the IC7G-Max 3 m/b with a
3.0ghz 478 Pet 4 processor..

I think your in the ballpark with the temps,

Bob
Northern Cal

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 07:08:48 +0530, Backwoods171
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Built my computer 4 years ago and worked flawlessly until current issue.
>Abit IC7-G motherboard, Pentium 4 3ghz 800m 478P. No overclocking.
>Originally 1 mg Kingston ram, added additional 1 mg ram about 6 weeks
>ago. 2 weeks ago CPU started overheating. CPU temp starts out at 35,
>quickly rises to >70, then shuts down. All fans working (including CPU
>fan), EXCEPT small fan on the motherboard (chipset fan?). Can this be
>problem? If so, can it be fixed or do I need new motherboard? Also,
>have read about passive heatsinks, particularly Zalman. Are these
>better than fans? Do you remove the fan and install where fan was or
>does it go elsewhere on MB?
>
>Not very technical, so appreciate any help. Thanks.

peter

Your welcome.......glad to see your down to a safe level