My goal of a new pc is a machine where I can play games on (Battlefield etc)
and do some programming on...

regarding this configuration I've got some questions:

This old cabinet don't have any holes for monting fans, can this cause
overheating of the system? If it can cause the system to overheat I will buy
a new cabinet instead

How powerful powersupply do I need for this configuration?

This motherboard support PC2-4300, PC2-6400, PC2-5300, which memory do you
recommend of these types (PC2-4300, PC2-6400, PC2-5300) ??

Is this configuration any good? please give feedbacks and suggestion on it

cheers

Jeff

Jeff wrote:
> Hey
>
> I have a cabinet of a 10 years old pc, and now I'm thinking of putting a
> ABIT IP35 PRO motherboard + Core 2 Quad + GeForce8600GT + hard disc and a
> DVD-burner into it. It is an ATX cabinet
>
> (The old computer sitting in this cabinet was an Intel 450MHz P3, 128Mb ram,
> 8Gb hard drive, powersourse 120W)
>
> My goal of a new pc is a machine where I can play games on (Battlefield etc)
> and do some programming on...
>
> regarding this configuration I've got some questions:

> This old cabinet don't have any holes for monting fans, can this cause
> overheating of the system? If it can cause the system to overheat I will buy
> a new cabinet instead

> How powerful powersupply do I need for this configuration?

> This motherboard support PC2-4300, PC2-6400, PC2-5300, which memory do you
> recommend of these types (PC2-4300, PC2-6400, PC2-5300) ??

> Is this configuration any good? please give feedbacks and suggestion on it
>
> cheers
>
> Jeff

In all honesty, for the price of a new case, you're probably better off
to go that route. Even if you buy a cheap case and then a good power
supply, you will end up with a better setup. The old PCs did not need
the ventilation that the new ones need because of the increased heat.

You can calculate your PSU requirements with a program like:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

or something similar.

As far as the memory, the number after the PC2 is directly related to
the speed of the memory, so the higher number will give you somewhat
faster speeds.

Your setup will work fine, but if you're going to be serious about
gaming, then get as much memory and the fastest CPU you can afford, but
also watch the price jumps between CPU speeds. Sometimes dropping one
notch in speed saves a lot of money. The video card is a very good
gaming card.

Chris

peter

I would suggest a new case.The newer cases are more intune with keeping
things cool.With all those copper heatsinks on the mobo you will
need fairly good airflow throughout the case to keep them cool.A case with
120mm fans front and back will not only help inthis regard but also be less
noisy than a case with 90mm fans.
The PSU is the heart of your system and as such is very important.A good 400
watt and up PSU will last you for years.The other poster gave you a site to
determine how much power but you should also check some PSU reviews for
quality...and then buy the best you can afford.

I dont know where you live but the 8600 GT is only $80.00 less that the
8800GT which is a MUCH better video card for gaming...but its still your
choice
peter
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey
>
> I have a cabinet of a 10 years old pc, and now I'm thinking of putting a
> ABIT IP35 PRO motherboard + Core 2 Quad + GeForce8600GT + hard disc and a
> DVD-burner into it. It is an ATX cabinet
>
> (The old computer sitting in this cabinet was an Intel 450MHz P3, 128Mb
> ram, 8Gb hard drive, powersourse 120W)
>
> My goal of a new pc is a machine where I can play games on (Battlefield
> etc) and do some programming on...
>
> regarding this configuration I've got some questions:

> This old cabinet don't have any holes for monting fans, can this cause
> overheating of the system? If it can cause the system to overheat I will
> buy a new cabinet instead

> How powerful powersupply do I need for this configuration?

> This motherboard support PC2-4300, PC2-6400, PC2-5300, which memory do you
> recommend of these types (PC2-4300, PC2-6400, PC2-5300) ??

> Is this configuration any good? please give feedbacks and suggestion on it
>
> cheers
>
> Jeff

Abit ip35 Pro restarts automatically after shutdown Conrad Abit 3 01-11-2010 01:22 PM
Re: E6600 versus E6750 and abit IP35 Pro MB? Fishface Overclocking 0 04-06-2008 03:17 PM
Overclocking Asus P5B Deluxe versus abit IP35 Pro Ken Overclocking 5 03-27-2008 01:56 PM
ABIT IP35 Pro, RAM t0ny Abit 0 01-12-2008 02:20 AM
ABIT IP35 Pro - disc boot sector is to be modified - warning msg ? august Abit 1 08-30-2007 10:11 PM