Abit Mobo's boot problems

Colin Dyckes

Hi all,

Looking through recent threads, there seems to be a general problem with
booting several different Abit motherboards. The problem seems to be that
after clearing the CMOS the machine will boot (possibly only if the Insert
key is held down), but after entering the BIOS setup, even if nothing is
changed, subsequent attempts to power on and boot just give a quick burst of
the red led and fans and then stop. I've noticed a number of posts along
these lines, and I get the problem if I try to run 4 sticks of memory, and
even with two it sometimes takes two attempts to get it running.

This looks like something fundamentally wrong with either the mobo or the
BIOS. I'm new here, so don't know if anyone from Abit monitors this group,
but has this boot problem been reported to Abit, and if so, was there any
response? Do Abit respond to customer bug reports? I've got a hardware
design background, and designed one of the first 286 motherboards in the UK
using the C&T chipset (my hardware design is a bit dated :-), so I've some
idea what's involved, and this just shouldn't happen if chip capacitance and
drive specifications are taken into account. What is different about the
settings used when the CMOS is invalid and those when the checksum is
correct?

Can anyone shed any light on this before I throw my IC7-G in the bin? It
looks as if it would be a good board if only it booted reliably!

Thanks

Colin

Danny Y

IT only happens after a bios update so dont get to extreme with throwing
that mobo away and if u do, do so in my general direction please.
I always get a cmos checksum error after a update and normally because it
resets all the cpu speeds etc to something stupid normally a adjustment to
fsb 800 1:1
and all is fine.
Why it does it i dont know but it takes all of 1 minute to put back .

"Colin Dyckes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgjf9b$30k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Looking through recent threads, there seems to be a general problem with
> booting several different Abit motherboards. The problem seems to be that
> after clearing the CMOS the machine will boot (possibly only if the Insert
> key is held down), but after entering the BIOS setup, even if nothing is
> changed, subsequent attempts to power on and boot just give a quick burst

of
> the red led and fans and then stop. I've noticed a number of posts along
> these lines, and I get the problem if I try to run 4 sticks of memory, and
> even with two it sometimes takes two attempts to get it running.
>
> This looks like something fundamentally wrong with either the mobo or the
> BIOS. I'm new here, so don't know if anyone from Abit monitors this group,
> but has this boot problem been reported to Abit, and if so, was there any
> response? Do Abit respond to customer bug reports? I've got a hardware
> design background, and designed one of the first 286 motherboards in the

UK
> using the C&T chipset (my hardware design is a bit dated :-), so I've some
> idea what's involved, and this just shouldn't happen if chip capacitance

and
> drive specifications are taken into account. What is different about the
> settings used when the CMOS is invalid and those when the checksum is
> correct?
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this before I throw my IC7-G in the bin? It
> looks as if it would be a good board if only it booted reliably!
>
> Thanks
>
> Colin

Colin Dyckes

Danny,

I KNOW the CMOS checksum is incorrect after a bios update, but that isn't
the problem.

I ALWAYS get the problem at EVERY boot after the first following clearance
of the CMOS, and it then won't boot with 4 sticks of memory whatever I do
(except clear the cmos again).

I posted the message because I've noticed several threads with essentially
the same problem, and wanted to see if the problem had been raised with Abit
or if anyone had tracked down the technical details of what settings the
bios was using during a boot with incorrect CMOS as opposed to when the
checksum was OK following a save in BIOS setup.

Colin
"Danny Y" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:xCeXa.18334$(E-Mail Removed)...
> IT only happens after a bios update so dont get to extreme with throwing
> that mobo away and if u do, do so in my general direction please.
> I always get a cmos checksum error after a update and normally because it
> resets all the cpu speeds etc to something stupid normally a adjustment to
> fsb 800 1:1
> and all is fine.
> Why it does it i dont know but it takes all of 1 minute to put back .
>

> "Colin Dyckes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bgjf9b$30k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Looking through recent threads, there seems to be a general problem with
> > booting several different Abit motherboards. The problem seems to be

that
> > after clearing the CMOS the machine will boot (possibly only if the

Insert
> > key is held down), but after entering the BIOS setup, even if nothing is
> > changed, subsequent attempts to power on and boot just give a quick

burst
> of
> > the red led and fans and then stop. I've noticed a number of posts along
> > these lines, and I get the problem if I try to run 4 sticks of memory,

and
> > even with two it sometimes takes two attempts to get it running.
> >
> > This looks like something fundamentally wrong with either the mobo or

the
> > BIOS. I'm new here, so don't know if anyone from Abit monitors this

group,
> > but has this boot problem been reported to Abit, and if so, was there

any
> > response? Do Abit respond to customer bug reports? I've got a hardware
> > design background, and designed one of the first 286 motherboards in the

> UK
> > using the C&T chipset (my hardware design is a bit dated :-), so I've

some
> > idea what's involved, and this just shouldn't happen if chip capacitance

> and
> > drive specifications are taken into account. What is different about the
> > settings used when the CMOS is invalid and those when the checksum is
> > correct?
> >
> > Can anyone shed any light on this before I throw my IC7-G in the bin? It
> > looks as if it would be a good board if only it booted reliably!
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Colin

TomG

I don't run 4 sticks, just 2x512, but I also have never had a single issue
with starting either my IC7-G or my IS7-G. it has to be frustrating to be
experiencing that issue but I can't say I feel there is a problem with the
mobo design as a whole.

have you disabled all of the CPU fan detection and overtemp shutdown stuff
in the health section of the bios?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Colin Dyckes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgjf9b$30k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Looking through recent threads, there seems to be a general problem with
> booting several different Abit motherboards. The problem seems to be that
> after clearing the CMOS the machine will boot (possibly only if the Insert
> key is held down), but after entering the BIOS setup, even if nothing is
> changed, subsequent attempts to power on and boot just give a quick burst

of
> the red led and fans and then stop. I've noticed a number of posts along
> these lines, and I get the problem if I try to run 4 sticks of memory, and
> even with two it sometimes takes two attempts to get it running.
>
> This looks like something fundamentally wrong with either the mobo or the
> BIOS. I'm new here, so don't know if anyone from Abit monitors this group,
> but has this boot problem been reported to Abit, and if so, was there any
> response? Do Abit respond to customer bug reports? I've got a hardware
> design background, and designed one of the first 286 motherboards in the

UK
> using the C&T chipset (my hardware design is a bit dated :-), so I've some
> idea what's involved, and this just shouldn't happen if chip capacitance

and
> drive specifications are taken into account. What is different about the
> settings used when the CMOS is invalid and those when the checksum is
> correct?
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this before I throw my IC7-G in the bin? It
> looks as if it would be a good board if only it booted reliably!
>
> Thanks
>
> Colin

Colin Dyckes

Tom

Yes, I've disabled everything relating to temperature and fans, and tried
every sensible combination of ram timing and voltage. I can run two sticks
of memory (Corsair) with only the occasional need to hit the power button
twice to boot up, but with 4 sticks it's 100% certain not to boot except
after clearing the CMOS.

I haven't been able to ascertain from the other similar threads if 4 memory
sticks is the common factor or not.

Thanks

Colin

"TomG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I don't run 4 sticks, just 2x512, but I also have never had a single issue
> with starting either my IC7-G or my IS7-G. it has to be frustrating to be
> experiencing that issue but I can't say I feel there is a problem with the
> mobo design as a whole.
>
> have you disabled all of the CPU fan detection and overtemp shutdown stuff
> in the health section of the bios?
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 115,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "Colin Dyckes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bgjf9b$30k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Looking through recent threads, there seems to be a general problem with
> > booting several different Abit motherboards. The problem seems to be

that
> > after clearing the CMOS the machine will boot (possibly only if the

Insert
> > key is held down), but after entering the BIOS setup, even if nothing is
> > changed, subsequent attempts to power on and boot just give a quick

burst
> of
> > the red led and fans and then stop. I've noticed a number of posts along
> > these lines, and I get the problem if I try to run 4 sticks of memory,

and
> > even with two it sometimes takes two attempts to get it running.
> >
> > This looks like something fundamentally wrong with either the mobo or

the
> > BIOS. I'm new here, so don't know if anyone from Abit monitors this

group,
> > but has this boot problem been reported to Abit, and if so, was there

any
> > response? Do Abit respond to customer bug reports? I've got a hardware
> > design background, and designed one of the first 286 motherboards in the

> UK
> > using the C&T chipset (my hardware design is a bit dated :-), so I've

some
> > idea what's involved, and this just shouldn't happen if chip capacitance

> and
> > drive specifications are taken into account. What is different about the
> > settings used when the CMOS is invalid and those when the checksum is
> > correct?
> >
> > Can anyone shed any light on this before I throw my IC7-G in the bin? It
> > looks as if it would be a good board if only it booted reliably!
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Colin

TomG

good luck with that one... I'd probably go through the trouble for an RMA
for that to see what goes...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"Colin Dyckes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgk69s$o1g$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> any
> > > response? Do Abit respond to customer bug reports? I've got a hardware
> > > design background, and designed one of the first 286 motherboards in

the
> > UK
> > > using the C&T chipset (my hardware design is a bit dated :-), so I've

> some
> > > idea what's involved, and this just shouldn't happen if chip

capacitance
> > and
> > > drive specifications are taken into account. What is different about

the
> > > settings used when the CMOS is invalid and those when the checksum is
> > > correct?
> > >
> > > Can anyone shed any light on this before I throw my IC7-G in the bin?

It
> > > looks as if it would be a good board if only it booted reliably!

Danny Y

There is a good article on 4 memory and 2 memory conifigs with regard to
performance
Know it isnt directly related to colins problem but it is interesting.

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1839

By the way colin our your 4 memory sticks duals and of the same make?

> [...]

> > > I don't run 4 sticks, just 2x512, but I also have never had a single

> issue
> > > with starting either my IC7-G or my IS7-G. it has to be frustrating

> be
> > > experiencing that issue but I can't say I feel there is a problem with

> the
> > > mobo design as a whole.
> > >
> > > have you disabled all of the CPU fan detection and overtemp shutdown

> stuff
> > > in the health section of the bios?
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Thomas Geery
> > > Network+ certified
> > >
> > > ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> > > ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> > > This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> > > over 115,000 FTP users served!
> > > ^^^^^^^
> > >

> > > "Colin Dyckes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Athlon 3200 XP + Abit NF7-S (not version 2) boot problems Tahys Abit 1 01-16-2005 04:30 AM
Abit XP / Abit XP PRO? Morten LundstrÝm Abit 0 12-26-2003 10:15 PM
Abit BE6 Cold Boot Problems catfish Abit 2 12-06-2003 11:17 PM
Re: abit boot problems marco Abit 1 07-30-2003 12:18 AM
abit boot problems johan Motherboards 0 07-27-2003 06:04 PM