Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

ABIT NF7-S - Northbridge HSF - Weird Power plug?

 
 
Wayne Youngman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Greetings,

Just servicing the ATHLON machine I built last year and sold in Feb, taken
it to pieces for a complete rebuild. Just took off the Northbridge HSF, and
yes hardly any contact was being made. I had just been running the PC
before I stripped it so the white goo was runny and the thing came off easy.

Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I just
noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power headers
on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a *standard*
power plug on the NB-HSF.

Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug and
somehow fit it into the standard one?

Any comments?
--
Wayne ][


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hippy Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2004, 05:48 PM

"Wayne Youngman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40aa33b2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings,
>
> Just servicing the ATHLON machine I built last year and sold in Feb, taken
> it to pieces for a complete rebuild. Just took off the Northbridge HSF,

and
> yes hardly any contact was being made. I had just been running the PC
> before I stripped it so the white goo was runny and the thing came off

easy.
>
> Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I

just
> noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
> thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power

headers
> on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a

*standard*
> power plug on the NB-HSF.
>
> Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug

and
> somehow fit it into the standard one?
>
> Any comments?
> --
> Wayne ][
>


could always be crude and cut both cables and twist & solder the end you
want to wires you want, then cover with insulation tape
otherwise prise it apart and reassemble with superglue
- should see some of my improvised connectors...





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2004, 08:56 PM
> Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I
just
> noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
> thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power

headers
> on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a

*standard*
> power plug on the NB-HSF.
>
> Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug

and
> somehow fit it into the standard one?
>
> Any comments?
> --
> Wayne ][


I was thinking of replacing the NB-fan on my nf7s with a spare Iceberq4 VGA
cooler I have, its 100% copper and seems to have the same power headers as
those on the mainboard. All it would entail is cutting off the mounts for
the vga card and a little of the as3 thermal adhesive! I want to replace my
2 x 256 PC3200 cl2 OCZ ram so I can go to a gig of ram, any suggestions that
may help me hit 220 - 230 fsb? or am i better staying 2 x 256 to hit these
speeds?

chris



 
Reply With Quote
 
OZoNE
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-19-2004, 02:27 AM

"Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c8dt99$5dd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I

> just
> > noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
> > thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power

> headers
> > on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a

> *standard*
> > power plug on the NB-HSF.
> >
> > Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug

> and
> > somehow fit it into the standard one?
> >
> > Any comments?
> > --
> > Wayne ][

>
> I was thinking of replacing the NB-fan on my nf7s with a spare Iceberq4

VGA
> cooler I have, its 100% copper and seems to have the same power headers as
> those on the mainboard. All it would entail is cutting off the mounts for
> the vga card and a little of the as3 thermal adhesive! I want to replace

my
> 2 x 256 PC3200 cl2 OCZ ram so I can go to a gig of ram, any suggestions

that
> may help me hit 220 - 230 fsb? or am i better staying 2 x 256 to hit these
> speeds?
>
> chris
>
>
>

My CL2 OCZ ram does 210 with 8-3-3-3 timings and 200 with 7-2-2-2.
Try relaxing the timings a little with ram ya have ...if not look at the
PC3500 OCZ Platnum ram if you want to keep cl2 imings at that high FSB
OZoNE




-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-19-2004, 01:48 PM
I disconnected the HSF months ago because it was prodicing horrible noise.
My machine is on DDR333 FSB and I had no problems yet. I should replace the
vent (still under warranty), but I still don't feel like tearing the whole
computer apart just to fix this, neither can I miss my machine for a week -
that's how long it would take for a dealer to replace it.

"Wayne Youngman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40aa33b2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings,
>
> Just servicing the ATHLON machine I built last year and sold in Feb, taken
> it to pieces for a complete rebuild. Just took off the Northbridge HSF,

and
> yes hardly any contact was being made. I had just been running the PC
> before I stripped it so the white goo was runny and the thing came off

easy.
>
> Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I

just
> noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
> thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power

headers
> on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a

*standard*
> power plug on the NB-HSF.
>
> Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug

and
> somehow fit it into the standard one?
>
> Any comments?
> --
> Wayne ][
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Wayne Youngman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-19-2004, 05:00 PM

"John Smith" wrote
> I disconnected the HSF months ago because it was prodicing horrible noise.
> My machine is on DDR333 FSB and I had no problems yet. I should replace

the
> vent (still under warranty), but I still don't feel like tearing the whole
> computer apart just to fix this, neither can I miss my machine for a

week -
> that's how long it would take for a dealer to replace it.



Hi,
that handy to know, as the standard NB-HSF is not that good. I just it off
the NF7-S and took it apart, lapped it etc and re-installed it using some
Arctic Compound. I think a passive Zalman may be a good option. . .
--
Wayne ][


 
Reply With Quote
 
anthonyi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2004, 07:34 AM
I found the passive Zalman's to work just fine on the NF7-S NB...just make
sure there's airflow through the case.

It was a relief to lose the stock Abit cooler's fan noise!

"Wayne Youngman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40ab92af$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "John Smith" wrote
> > I disconnected the HSF months ago because it was prodicing horrible

noise.
> > My machine is on DDR333 FSB and I had no problems yet. I should replace

> the
> > vent (still under warranty), but I still don't feel like tearing the

whole
> > computer apart just to fix this, neither can I miss my machine for a

> week -
> > that's how long it would take for a dealer to replace it.

>
>
> Hi,
> that handy to know, as the standard NB-HSF is not that good. I just it

off
> the NF7-S and took it apart, lapped it etc and re-installed it using some
> Arctic Compound. I think a passive Zalman may be a good option. . .
> --
> Wayne ][
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing Northbridge HSF Mickey4Paws@anonymous.to Asus 2 01-10-2006 11:33 PM
ABIT NF7-S - Northbridge HSF - Weird Power plug? Wayne Youngman AMD Overclocking 6 05-20-2004 07:34 AM
IS7 Northbridge HSF - replacement? Pete Carlson Abit 2 11-16-2003 05:12 AM
Anyone running 8K9A3+ without the Northbridge fan (i.e. having passive vooling on the northbridge) Taba Epox 2 09-06-2003 07:12 PM
Re: Quietest HSF for Abit kt7a? Dennis Langton Abit 2 07-29-2003 09:09 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment