Above 50% CPU usage but task manager does not show it

Roland Mösl

Window 7 home premium

Since some hours, more than 50% CPU usage,
but when I cout together what the task manager
shows, it's maybe 5 to 10%

What can make this trouble?
How to find out?
How to stop it?

I need control about my notebook.

It would be the total horror to be on
a long distant flight in an airplane
and some senseless windows process
waste my normal 12 hours battery life

--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Planetary Engineering Group Earth

BillW50

On 5/25/2012 4:44 AM, Roland Mösl wrote:
> Window 7 home premium
>
> Since some hours, more than 50% CPU usage,
> but when I cout together what the task manager
> shows, it's maybe 5 to 10%
>
> What can make this trouble?
> How to find out?
> How to stop it?
>
> I need control about my notebook.
>
> It would be the total horror to be on
> a long distant flight in an airplane
> and some senseless windows process
> waste my normal 12 hours battery life

Sounds like DPCs. This is easy to check with the simple tool below.

DPC Latency Checker
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

All of my Asus EeePC 700 series netbooks have this problem. If they are
close to another electronic device, the DPCs will climb.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v12

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Roland Mösl wrote:
> Window 7 home premium
>
> Since some hours, more than 50% CPU usage,
> but when I cout together what the task manager
> shows, it's maybe 5 to 10%
>
> What can make this trouble?
> How to find out?
> How to stop it?
>
> I need control about my notebook.
>
> It would be the total horror to be on
> a long distant flight in an airplane
> and some senseless windows process
> waste my normal 12 hours battery life

Windows. especially 7, does a few things in the 'background', like run the
monthly Malicious Software programme as well as defragging the HDD. Of
course, as soon as you open Task Manager the 'background' tasks stop as the
computer is no longer idle.....

Google Win 7 background process' for further info.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)