Access to Bios ???

Ricky

Hi there,

Anyone tell me please what keys (or combination) to press to enter the
bios on a Compaq Presario 8714, the F10 key didn't work ....

Again thanks

Trai' La Trash

Esc or F1

"Ricky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
>
> Anyone tell me please what keys (or combination) to press to enter the
> bios on a Compaq Presario 8714, the F10 key didn't work ....
>
> Again thanks
>
> --

DEJ57

>Esc or F1

Have these EVER been so for Compaqs?

F10 after the RAM count, if the "Setup" is on the HDD, which it may not be.
Would show up as a non-DOS partition at the beginning of the drive inFDISK.
Optionally, Setup can be ran from a floppy, downloaded from Compaq.

Dale

Trai' La Trash

Yes they have I have worked on some Compaq's that right when you see the
splash screen (Compaq) in the upper right corner you will see a little white
blip,at that moment esc or F10 will get you in the bios.
Now there is the possibility your are correct on the older machines which
had the bios on the HDD but I don't work with dinosaurs,I can sell you a new
machine for $300 so why bother charging the customer a couple of hours to
play with junk when they can have a low end new machine instead.

Dave

"DEJ57" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Esc or F1

> Have these EVER been so for Compaqs?
>
> F10 after the RAM count, if the "Setup" is on the HDD, which it may not

be.
> Would show up as a non-DOS partition at the beginning of the drive

inFDISK.
> Optionally, Setup can be ran from a floppy, downloaded from Compaq.
>
> Dale

DEJ57

>at that moment esc or F10 will get you in the bios

I was under the impression Compaqs have always been F10 (perhaps some early
ones, maybe laptops, were not F10?). The question, which you mis-stated in
your response, was whether Compaq had ever used Esc or F1.

Compaqs have NEVER had the bios on the HDD. There was a Compaq Diagnotic
Partition on the HDD, which held "Setup" program that allowed access to the
bios on the systemboard. Setup can also be ran from floppy.

Who is charging who in the original post?
Even if it were part of the question, $300 is a lot of money to some folks,
particularly if you have a PC in front of you that only needs a free downloaded
program to run on floppy if one really needs to get into the bios to get it
useable as a basic PC....
and some of us enjoy the challenge of getting the dinosaurs working the way we
want them, and making every dollar stretch as far as possible...

Dale