How to access "unused" PCI connector, Dell Dimension 4500S

Paul Soderman

I've had a Dell Dimension 4500S for a couple of years and am pleased with
it. In the "card cage" there is an Ethernet card for the cable modem
connection, as well as a Predator sound card I installed. Looks like that
cage only has room for the 2 cards.

I recently picked up an Adaptec 1394 card to enable the use of 3 "Firewire"
connections; however, in opening up the Dell I realized that there's only
room for the 2 cards in the "Cage". Right behind, or next to, the cage is
another empty card slot. The manual only refers to this as being an "unused
connector". The PCI card lines up with the slot, but the small metal cover
on the back of the computer (ie. where the ports for outside connection to
the card itself would be accessible for hookup to cables) is not lined up so
as to permit easy installation. Of course, the manual has no info on how one
is to use this "unused connector"!

Am I out of luck in hoping to install this card in this location? If
necessary, I guess that I could install the Ethernet card in that slot and
simply hook the cable around, into the Dell itself, for access to the card,
as this would enable the 1394 card to be installed in the "cage". Am I
viewing the card and its access to outside of the computer in the proper
way?

Thanks for any help!

Paul

snoopy

You can always replace the sound card with one of these. They have a
Firwwire port. Hopefully you can return the Adaptec card.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-158&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-162&depa=0

"Paul Soderman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BCA1F2F2.D508%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've had a Dell Dimension 4500S for a couple of years and am pleased with
> it. In the "card cage" there is an Ethernet card for the cable modem
> connection, as well as a Predator sound card I installed. Looks like that
> cage only has room for the 2 cards.
>
> I recently picked up an Adaptec 1394 card to enable the use of 3

"Firewire"
> connections; however, in opening up the Dell I realized that there's only
> room for the 2 cards in the "Cage". Right behind, or next to, the cage is
> another empty card slot. The manual only refers to this as being an

"unused
> connector". The PCI card lines up with the slot, but the small metal cover
> on the back of the computer (ie. where the ports for outside connection to
> the card itself would be accessible for hookup to cables) is not lined up

so
> as to permit easy installation. Of course, the manual has no info on how

one
> is to use this "unused connector"!
>
> Am I out of luck in hoping to install this card in this location? If
> necessary, I guess that I could install the Ethernet card in that slot and
> simply hook the cable around, into the Dell itself, for access to the

card,
> as this would enable the 1394 card to be installed in the "cage". Am I
> viewing the card and its access to outside of the computer in the proper
> way?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Paul

Michael P Gabriel

Paul Soderman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<BCA1F2F2.D508%(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I've had a Dell Dimension 4500S for a couple of years and am pleased with
> it. In the "card cage" there is an Ethernet card for the cable modem
> connection, as well as a Predator sound card I installed. Looks like that
> cage only has room for the 2 cards.
>
> I recently picked up an Adaptec 1394 card to enable the use of 3 "Firewire"
> connections; however, in opening up the Dell I realized that there's only
> room for the 2 cards in the "Cage". Right behind, or next to, the cage is
> another empty card slot. The manual only refers to this as being an "unused
> connector". The PCI card lines up with the slot, but the small metal cover
> on the back of the computer (ie. where the ports for outside connection to
> the card itself would be accessible for hookup to cables) is not lined up so
> as to permit easy installation. Of course, the manual has no info on how one
> is to use this "unused connector"!
>
> Am I out of luck in hoping to install this card in this location? If
> necessary, I guess that I could install the Ethernet card in that slot and
> simply hook the cable around, into the Dell itself, for access to the card,
> as this would enable the 1394 card to be installed in the "cage". Am I
> viewing the card and its access to outside of the computer in the proper
> way?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Paul

question in perfect english, grammar, spelling and punctuation. What
a pleasure it is to read something that can be digested
instantaneously without having to re-read and re-read until it makes
sense!! Mike