Acer Aspire 5100 notebook takes 8 hours to defrag

Frank White

Why would it take this long just to defrag about 40Gigs on drive C?
Drive D (80 Gigs) takes so long that I just havent bothered.

Seems that everything is a bit slow on this computer but I figured
that is because it probably has a 5400 RPM drive to save power.

Thanks

..
Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.

(E-Mail Removed)

ctowers

Frank White wrote:
> Why would it take this long just to defrag about 40Gigs on drive C?
> Drive D (80 Gigs) takes so long that I just havent bothered.
>
> Seems that everything is a bit slow on this computer but I figured
> that is because it probably has a 5400 RPM drive to save power.
>
> Thanks
>

> .
> Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

You need to understand there are many factors that will affect the time it
takes to defragment. You can search for and read the many articles that have
been written on the subject and a good place to start might be the Microsoft
web site. I've been using a versatile utility called ScanDefrag that I've
had good success with, but I schedule it to start and run "off hours" and to
shutdown the computer when it finishes.
--
_ct_

Frank White

I guess I will have to do that. I seems odd however that with the out
of the box software configuration, even before I touched it, It took
excessively long to do this task.
The more I added the worse it became as expected, but not to this
extent.

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 04:55:21 -0400, "ctowers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Frank White wrote:
>> Why would it take this long just to defrag about 40Gigs on drive C?
>> Drive D (80 Gigs) takes so long that I just havent bothered.
>>
>> Seems that everything is a bit slow on this computer but I figured
>> that is because it probably has a 5400 RPM drive to save power.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> .
>> Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)

>You need to understand there are many factors that will affect the time it
>takes to defragment. You can search for and read the many articles that have
>been written on the subject and a good place to start might be the Microsoft
>web site. I've been using a versatile utility called ScanDefrag that I've
>had good success with, but I schedule it to start and run "off hours" and to
>shutdown the computer when it finishes.

Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.

(E-Mail Removed)

ctowers

If you do use the ScanDefrag utility, the log will list any processes that
are running. Also, it may take longer just because it has not been defraged
before. Good luck.
--
_ct_

Frank White wrote:
> I guess I will have to do that. I seems odd however that with the out
> of the box software configuration, even before I touched it, It took
> excessively long to do this task.
> The more I added the worse it became as expected, but not to this
> extent.
>

> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 04:55:21 -0400, "ctowers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Frank White wrote:
>>> Why would it take this long just to defrag about 40Gigs on drive C?
>>> Drive D (80 Gigs) takes so long that I just havent bothered.
>>>
>>> Seems that everything is a bit slow on this computer but I figured
>>> that is because it probably has a 5400 RPM drive to save power.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> .
>>> Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.
>>>
>>> (E-Mail Removed)

>> You need to understand there are many factors that will affect the
>> time it takes to defragment. You can search for and read the many
>> articles that have been written on the subject and a good place to
>> start might be the Microsoft web site. I've been using a versatile
>> utility called ScanDefrag that I've had good success with, but I
>> schedule it to start and run "off hours" and to shutdown the
>> computer when it finishes.

> Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

doS

if thats the case you have something running in the background...

"Frank White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> Why would it take this long just to defrag about 40Gigs on drive C?
> Drive D (80 Gigs) takes so long that I just havent bothered.
>
> Seems that everything is a bit slow on this computer but I figured
> that is because it probably has a 5400 RPM drive to save power.
>
> Thanks
>

> .
> Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.
>
> (E-Mail Removed)

Acer Aspire 5100 Power Mgt questions... Blue Streak Acer 13 01-29-2008 10:00 PM
Acer Aspire 5100 Power Mgt questions... Blue Streak Laptops 13 01-29-2008 10:00 PM
Acer Aspire 5100 roger lewis Laptops 2 12-16-2007 07:54 PM
Acer Aspire 5100 Internal mini PCI connection Peter Amacher Acer 0 10-22-2007 12:31 AM
Defrag doesn't defrag Bob Laptops 12 01-06-2004 12:33 AM