Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Acer Aspire 5100 restore problems

 
 
NotMe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Acer Aspire 5100 restore problems

I'm having a devil of a time getting the CD restore set I purchased from
Acer to work.

Trying to contact Acer Support is worse than talking to a wall (talking to a
wall at lease you get an echo).

No matter what tricks I try I get an error message: 0xa000000e

A web searchs shows I'm one amoung many and so far none of the many have a
workable solution.

Any ideas?





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
NotMe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2010, 01:09 AM


"Zack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9D27E62E25D1Frabbitcurry@69.16.176.253...
> "NotMe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:hluoag$d69$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>
>> Acer Aspire 5100 restore problems
>>
>> I'm having a devil of a time getting the CD restore set I purchased from
>> Acer to work.
>>
>> Trying to contact Acer Support is worse than talking to a wall (talking
>> to a wall at lease you get an echo).
>>
>> No matter what tricks I try I get an error message: 0xa000000e
>>
>> A web searchs shows I'm one amoung many and so far none of the many have
>> a workable solution.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>>

> why dont you just download the drivers from the acer site
> then install your xp or whatever you use then the drivers
> ive always done that on my aspire 5000 because i dont want
> all the other crap the didks put on.
>
> zack


Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I'd considered similar. The Acer does
not belong to me (I do pro bono support for several NPs -- in the land of
the blind the one eyed man is king). The folk that own this beast want the
original configuration if it's at all possable.

I have told them, based on Acer's responses, that in the event they buy or
accept any more donations of Acer equipment they are on their own. Easy fix
I'll do it, otherwise ...

All said and done I'd like to fight this one to the ground just to know how.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ben Myers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2010, 04:41 AM
On 2/22/2010 8:09 PM, NotMe wrote:
> "Zack"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9D27E62E25D1Frabbitcurry@69.16.176.253...
>> "NotMe"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:hluoag$d69$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>>
>>> Acer Aspire 5100 restore problems
>>>
>>> I'm having a devil of a time getting the CD restore set I purchased from
>>> Acer to work.
>>>
>>> Trying to contact Acer Support is worse than talking to a wall (talking
>>> to a wall at lease you get an echo).
>>>
>>> No matter what tricks I try I get an error message: 0xa000000e
>>>
>>> A web searchs shows I'm one amoung many and so far none of the many have
>>> a workable solution.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>>

>> why dont you just download the drivers from the acer site
>> then install your xp or whatever you use then the drivers
>> ive always done that on my aspire 5000 because i dont want
>> all the other crap the didks put on.
>>
>> zack

>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I'd considered similar. The Acer does
> not belong to me (I do pro bono support for several NPs -- in the land of
> the blind the one eyed man is king). The folk that own this beast want the
> original configuration if it's at all possable.
>
> I have told them, based on Acer's responses, that in the event they buy or
> accept any more donations of Acer equipment they are on their own. Easy fix
> I'll do it, otherwise ...
>
> All said and done I'd like to fight this one to the ground just to know how.
>
>


How to fight this one to the ground.

1. Start with ANY Windows install CD that matches EXACTLY the sticker on
the side of the Acer. The CD may be branded, e.g. Dell or Lenovo, or it
may be OEM.
2. Next, download all the drivers needed for the hardware in the Aspire
5100 from the Acer web site.
3. Install Windows. If the Windows install asks you for the product
key, enter it in when prompted.
4. Do not activate it yet.
5. Install all the hardware drivers, starting with motherboard chipset
drivers ABSOLUTELY FIRST, before any other drivers. VERY IMPT!
6. If the Windows install did not prompt for a product ID, download and
run Keyfinder, to change the product ID to match the one on the sticker.
7. Now activate Windows on the 5100 via the internet.

This will give you the basic Windows software, but not any of the
crapware that Acer may also pre-install.

If installing XP, make sure that the install CD is at least Service Pack
2, the first one to support SATA drives... Ben Myers
 
Reply With Quote
 
NotMe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2010, 07:39 PM

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hmndmp$bb2$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On 2/22/2010 8:09 PM, NotMe wrote:
>> "Zack"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9D27E62E25D1Frabbitcurry@69.16.176.253...
>>> "NotMe"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:hluoag$d69$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:
>>>
>>>> Acer Aspire 5100 restore problems
>>>>
>>>> I'm having a devil of a time getting the CD restore set I purchased
>>>> from
>>>> Acer to work.
>>>>
>>>> Trying to contact Acer Support is worse than talking to a wall (talking
>>>> to a wall at lease you get an echo).
>>>>
>>>> No matter what tricks I try I get an error message: 0xa000000e
>>>>
>>>> A web searchs shows I'm one amoung many and so far none of the many
>>>> have
>>>> a workable solution.
>>>>
>>>> Any ideas?
>>>>
>>>>
>>> why dont you just download the drivers from the acer site
>>> then install your xp or whatever you use then the drivers
>>> ive always done that on my aspire 5000 because i dont want
>>> all the other crap the didks put on.
>>>
>>> zack

>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I'd considered similar. The Acer
>> does
>> not belong to me (I do pro bono support for several NPs -- in the land of
>> the blind the one eyed man is king). The folk that own this beast want
>> the
>> original configuration if it's at all possable.
>>
>> I have told them, based on Acer's responses, that in the event they buy
>> or
>> accept any more donations of Acer equipment they are on their own. Easy
>> fix
>> I'll do it, otherwise ...
>>
>> All said and done I'd like to fight this one to the ground just to know
>> how.
>>
>>

>
> How to fight this one to the ground.
>
> 1. Start with ANY Windows install CD that matches EXACTLY the sticker on
> the side of the Acer. The CD may be branded, e.g. Dell or Lenovo, or it
> may be OEM.
> 2. Next, download all the drivers needed for the hardware in the Aspire
> 5100 from the Acer web site.
> 3. Install Windows. If the Windows install asks you for the product
> key, enter it in when prompted.
> 4. Do not activate it yet.
> 5. Install all the hardware drivers, starting with motherboard chipset
> drivers ABSOLUTELY FIRST, before any other drivers. VERY IMPT!
> 6. If the Windows install did not prompt for a product ID, download and
> run Keyfinder, to change the product ID to match the one on the sticker.
> 7. Now activate Windows on the 5100 via the internet.
>
> This will give you the basic Windows software, but not any of the
> crapware that Acer may also pre-install.
>
> If installing XP, make sure that the install CD is at least Service Pack
> 2, the first one to support SATA drives... Ben Myers


Thanks. I'll play with this when the world comes to rest around here (grand
kids have just discovered wild flowers and right now they have total
priority.

God help me when the Blue Bonnets are in full bloom!!! Will be a lot of fun
but won't get a bit of real work done. (VBG)

Back to the Acer. Box has started the load up and I get past the first CD
(sometimes not) and it shuts down. If I let it boot to command prompt it
will work for 5-10 min then go off/shut down. This is new and has me
wondering if there is a problem with hardware. (I open the boxs every 9-12
months to clear dust/lint build up so I doubt it's a heat problem).





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acer Aspire 5100 Power Mgt questions... Blue Streak Acer 13 01-29-2008 10:00 PM
Acer Aspire 5100 Power Mgt questions... Blue Streak Laptops 13 01-29-2008 10:00 PM
Acer Aspire 5100 roger lewis Laptops 2 12-16-2007 07:54 PM
Acer Aspire 5100 Internal mini PCI connection Peter Amacher Acer 0 10-22-2007 12:31 AM
Acer Aspire 5100 notebook takes 8 hours to defrag Frank White Acer 4 08-12-2007 07:26 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment