Acer Aspire 8930G RTC Battery location?

Flint

Howdy,

I have an Acer aspire 8930G that simply won't boot, and the BIOS is
password locked (typical forgotten password). I wanted to clear the
password w/a BIOS reset, but don't know where the RTC Battery is located.

After looking around, I found top/bottom view diagrams of the 8930
logic board, but nothing labeled on it to indicate where the CMOS/RTC
battery is located. I have removed the cover on the underside to
access the HDD, SODIMMs, and wireless card, but see no access to the
CMOS/RTC battery.

Can someone tell me where it is on this, and what the difference
between ab 8930 and 8930G is?

--
MFB

Thomas Wendell

"Flint" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
viestissä:imtr08$k8m$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Howdy,
>
> I have an Acer aspire 8930G that simply won't boot, and the BIOS is
> password locked (typical forgotten password). I wanted to clear the
> password w/a BIOS reset, but don't know where the RTC Battery is located.
>
> After looking around, I found top/bottom view diagrams of the 8930 logic
> board, but nothing labeled on it to indicate where the CMOS/RTC battery is
> located. I have removed the cover on the underside to access the HDD,
> SODIMMs, and wireless card, but see no access to the CMOS/RTC battery.
>
> Can someone tell me where it is on this, and what the difference between
> ab 8930 and 8930G is?
>

> --
> MFB

I don't know about the 8930G, but on my TravelMate7520 it is on the
mainboards _upper_ side, ie. you have get the keyboard out of the way.
Disassembly, disassembly..

--
Thomas Wendell
Helsinki, Finland

Flint

On 3/30/2011 4:21 AM, Thomas Wendell wrote:
> "Flint" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
> viestissä:imtr08$k8m$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I have an Acer aspire 8930G that simply won't boot, and the BIOS is
>> password locked (typical forgotten password). I wanted to clear the
>> password w/a BIOS reset, but don't know where the RTC Battery is
>> located.
>>
>> After looking around, I found top/bottom view diagrams of the 8930
>> logic board, but nothing labeled on it to indicate where the
>> CMOS/RTC battery is located. I have removed the cover on the
>> underside to access the HDD, SODIMMs, and wireless card, but see no
>> access to the CMOS/RTC battery.
>>
>> Can someone tell me where it is on this, and what the difference
>> between ab 8930 and 8930G is?
>>

>> --
>> MFB

> I don't know about the 8930G, but on my TravelMate7520 it is on the
> mainboards _upper_ side, ie. you have get the keyboard out of the way.
> Disassembly, disassembly..

I kind of figured as much. I'm just not looking forward to all the
dis-assembly without knowing for certain exactly where it is. I can't
even find an iFixit dis-assembly on it.

I just loathe dis-assembly on unfamiliar models...

--
MFB

mk

Acer is notorius for placing these cmos batteries in difficult to get to
locations. I had an Acer Travelmate and ruined the machine during diassembly
in my attempt to locate the battery !

If you have a local computer shop I would advise you to take it there, but
ask questions of them first so that you can be confident of their skills
etc.

MK

Flint

On 3/31/2011 4:42 AM, mk wrote:
> Acer is notorius for placing these cmos batteries in difficult to get to
> locations. I had an Acer Travelmate and ruined the machine during diassembly
> in my attempt to locate the battery !
>
> If you have a local computer shop I would advise you to take it there, but
> ask questions of them first so that you can be confident of their skills
> etc.
>
> MK

I've done this before many times on many laptops, just not on this
model. I just don't like doing it w/o some sort of dis-assembly guide
or documentation.

I've found that most of the time when you can't easily access the RTC
battery because it isn't visibly accessible, it's usually on the
topside of a laptop motherboard and under the keyboard. I kind of
figured I'd have to be tearing this thing apart anyway, but it looks
like I'll be creating an iFixit dis-assembly guide entry for this
laptop model rather than hunting one up on the site.

--
MFB

Lou Marco

In article <in1ntq$qgj$(E-Mail Removed)>, Flint <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>figured I'd have to be tearing this thing apart anyway, but it looks
>like I'll be creating an iFixit dis-assembly guide entry for this
>laptop model rather than hunting one up on the site.

Wharfies foolproof guide to removing laptop keyboards:

1. Take out the battery, drives,cards,and anything else
that comes off without taking the case apart.

2. Turn it over and take out every screw you see. That includes
the ones holding the wireless card down. (I've seen at least
one model where the long screw for the wireless card also attached
the keyboard.) Look under the memory DIMMS (or SIMMS :-) Don't
lose any screws because they always have wierd sizes and threads.

3. Turn it back rightside up,open the lid,and use your case
opener (or a guitar pick) to try and move the keyboard up. Try
pushing it back or forwards first. If it does move be careful
of the convolutionary routing of the ribbon cables and don't pull
the zifs.

4. No luck, huh? Try the back of the palm rest. Does it move?
How about if you try the guitar pick on the case joints? If it
pops off look for the hidden screws holding the keyboard down.

5. If you can't remove the palmrest (if you cracked it trying to
replacements are generally cheap or you can repair it with
plastic cement) look all around the sides including at the edges
of the slots where the drives go and where the battery was. If
you see tiny screws that might connect to the palmrest remove them.
Things you didn't expect to come apart will come apart. c'est la vie.
Try and remember what they looked like so you can put them back
together and don't lose any screws.

6. Still can't move anything? Try the hinge covers. if they're
meant to pop off you'll see little catches to pry on with your
pick. Or there may be a screw you missed. If the hinge covers come
off remove the revealed screws and try the keyboard and palmrests
again.

7. If it still won't come apart look for hidden catches. Dells
are notorious for this. You can find them by noticing that two
parts, say, the led panel cover and the bottom case,don't *quite*
touch except for two little spots. Which may be on any side. BTW.

8. If it still won't come apart make sure you don't have an etch-a-
sketch. If you still think you have a laptop go read the manual :-)
and find the screw under the label in the corner of the battery
compartment you needed to remove :-) (What? Sorry, I thought you
knew to look under labels for screws. That's the best place to
put them, you know.)

me/2

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:18:10 -0400, Flint <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

:>On 3/31/2011 4:42 AM, mk wrote:
:>> Acer is notorius for placing these cmos batteries in difficult to get to
:>> locations. I had an Acer Travelmate and ruined the machine during diassembly
:>> in my attempt to locate the battery !
:>>
:>> If you have a local computer shop I would advise you to take it there, but
:>> ask questions of them first so that you can be confident of their skills
:>> etc.
:>>
:>> MK
:>>
:>>
:>
:>I've done this before many times on many laptops, just not on this
:>model. I just don't like doing it w/o some sort of dis-assembly guide
:>or documentation.
:>
:>I've found that most of the time when you can't easily access the RTC
:>battery because it isn't visibly accessible, it's usually on the
:>topside of a laptop motherboard and under the keyboard. I kind of
:>figured I'd have to be tearing this thing apart anyway, but it looks
:>like I'll be creating an iFixit dis-assembly guide entry for this
:>laptop model rather than hunting one up on the site.

Wow, all these replies and nobody has mentioned that BIOS passwords are
stored in NVRAM and removing the CMOS battery will not clear a BIOS
password. Depending on the manufacturer/model there are almost always
methods to remove a BIOS password but it's not always easy to find out that
information. Obviously for security purposes removing a BIOS password is not
a straightforward process.

Before retiring I worked over 10 years at a Toshiba Premier ASP. They
actually had some models that a call to Toshiba ASP Tech Support was
required to be able to remove a BIOS password. You had to give them the name
of the ASP, the ASP ID number, your name and your Tech ID number. At that
point they would have you press a "magic" combination of keys. This would
generate a challenge code on the screen. They would then give you a time
limited response code to type in that would allow you to get into the BIOS
setup. Note this did not actually remove the password. You had to do that
once you got into the BIOS setup.

Older Toshiba modes used a parallel port dongle that was easily reproduced
to remove a BIOS password. Once parallel ports fell by the wayside they
started using a somewhat hidden set of jumper pads on the motherboard that
had to be shorted to clear a BIOS password similar to the way it's done on a
full size motherboard. Then there was the method I mentioned above on some
models. I don't know what methods they are using today since it's been
around 5 years since I quit working on Toshibas.

Good luck finding what you really need,
me/2

Lou Marco

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
me/2 <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Wow, all these replies and nobody has mentioned that BIOS passwords are
>stored in NVRAM and removing the CMOS battery will not clear a BIOS
>password. Depending on the manufacturer/model there are almost always

Because we're not as confused as you are. Supervisor passwords
are in NVRAM and not clearable by removing power. BIOS passwords are stored
in CMOS and go to the Great ASIC In The Sky when the volts vanish.

>required to be able to remove a BIOS password. You had to give them the name
>of the ASP, the ASP ID number, your name and your Tech ID number. At that
>point they would have you press a "magic" combination of keys. This would
>generate a challenge code on the screen. They would then give you a time

Well, that's pretty slick. But wouldn't it have been easier to
just replace the chip? That's how you fix IBM's with a lost SUPERVISOR
password...

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Howdy,

I have an Acer aspire 8930G that simply won't boot, and the BIOS is
password locked (typical forgotten password). I wanted to clear the
password w/a BIOS reset, but don't know where the RTC Battery is located.

After looking around, I found top/bottom view diagrams of the 8930
logic board, but nothing labeled on it to indicate where the CMOS/RTC
battery is located. I have removed the cover on the underside to
access the HDD, SODIMMs, and wireless card, but see no access to the
CMOS/RTC battery.

Can someone tell me where it is on this, and what the difference
between ab 8930 and 8930G is?

--
MFB
The battery (bios) on the 8930G is situated at the front left corner, beneath the motherboard and close to the cooling fan. It is a 2032 cell with tails that plug into the underside of the motherboard (not a standard 2032). Sorry but access means total disassembly of the computer or paying Acer £234 total to do the job. I stripped down my 8930 to find this as I considered it not worth the expence with no indication of when next this might occur! Colco.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
On 3/30/2011 4:21 AM, Thomas Wendell wrote:
> "Flint" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti
> viestissä:imtr08$k8m$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I have an Acer aspire 8930G that simply won't boot, and the BIOS is
>> password locked (typical forgotten password). I wanted to clear the
>> password w/a BIOS reset, but don't know where the RTC Battery is
>> located.
>>
>> After looking around, I found top/bottom view diagrams of the 8930
>> logic board, but nothing labeled on it to indicate where the
>> CMOS/RTC battery is located. I have removed the cover on the
>> underside to access the HDD, SODIMMs, and wireless card, but see no
>> access to the CMOS/RTC battery.
>>
>> Can someone tell me where it is on this, and what the difference
>> between ab 8930 and 8930G is?
>>

>> --
>> MFB

> I don't know about the 8930G, but on my TravelMate7520 it is on the
> mainboards _upper_ side, ie. you have get the keyboard out of the way.
> Disassembly, disassembly..

I kind of figured as much. I'm just not looking forward to all the
dis-assembly without knowing for certain exactly where it is. I can't
even find an iFixit dis-assembly on it.

I just loathe dis-assembly on unfamiliar models...

--
MFB
The bios cell in the 8930G is located under the motherboard and near the cooling fan. Total disassembly is necessary I'm afraid and this effectively destroys the motherboard - the plug-less ribbon cable connectors do not like to be disturbed. Acer's Info team will do the job for you at a mere £234. This is not a standard 2032 cell, it has fly leads and a plug. After two failures in less than three years, I did the disassembly for the benefit of others, it's trashed now as I considered it not worth the cost or the future bother!

Colco