Acer Aspire M3610 - question regarding installing Windows XP

Lukas Mariman

Hi,

I recently bought the Acer Aspire M3610 dekstop PC, Intel Core 2 Quad, 2GB
RAM, and Windows Vista Home Premium preloaded.

But after almost 2 weeks of use, I'm growing more and more frustrated with
Vista. It seems every day new problems pop up.

I was wondering if installing Windows XP on this system is... doable. Can it
be done without too much trouble? I own a copy of XP Home Edition, which at
the moment I still have installed on my older box.

Any tips, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Lukas Mariman

"Eugene Maes" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:4819e140$0$5140$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You will need to find out if Acer has drivers that will work on xp.
>
> If not you might not be ble to use components on your laptop.

Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure to check with Acer before I switch to
XP...

Lukas Mariman

"Lukas Mariman" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Eugene Maes" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:4819e140$0$5140$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You will need to find out if Acer has drivers that will work on xp.
>>
>> If not you might not be ble to use components on your laptop.

> Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure to check with Acer before I switch to
> XP...

BTW, I'd be very interested to know if there are other people "here" with
the same system, or with a similar model, and what their experiences are,
especially concerning gaming.

I've tried out a couple of games so far, and have already run into trouble.
I can't seem to get Bioshock to run properly, and apparently Vista doesn't
like the Battle for Middle Earth RTS game... Wonderful. :-/

Junior Member

there is no problem with XP i guess.. im having ACER with Windows XP. it works and no such problem i encountered so far. maybe Vista is not compatible with Acer.

Sentinel

On 20 mei, 00:16, maxglover1989
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> im currently as i type installing xp on my m3610, iv found the drivers
> for the sound video and ethernet
> here are the links
> If you want to use a DSL Internet Connection, you
> need to install the Ethernet Driver in yk51x86_v10.53.2.3.zip
> from
> 'Marvell: Consumer Driver Search'
> (http://www.marvell.com/drivers/drive...?dId=103&pId=3)
>
> If you want to install the audio driver, proceed as follows:
> 1. In Windows XP Device Manager remove the PCI devices marked with the
> yellow questionmark.
> 2. Download and install one of the Catalyst drivers from
> 'AMD GAME Drivers & Tools'
> (http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...=xp/radeonx-xp)
> (This is actually a graphics driver, but also required to squeeze
> sound out of the box)
> 3. Download and install the Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs fromhttp://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/down...3&GetDown=false
>
> hope this helps

Thanks, I appreciate your help! I'll let you know how it goes.

Lukas Mariman

"Sentinel" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 20 mei, 00:16, maxglover1989
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> im currently as i type installing xp on my m3610, iv found the drivers
>> for the sound video and ethernet
>> here are the links
>> If you want to use a DSL Internet Connection, you
>> need to install the Ethernet Driver in yk51x86_v10.53.2.3.zip
>> from
>> 'Marvell: Consumer Driver Search'
>> (http://www.marvell.com/drivers/drive...?dId=103&pId=3)
>>
>> If you want to install the audio driver, proceed as follows:
>> 1. In Windows XP Device Manager remove the PCI devices marked with the
>> yellow questionmark.
>> 2. Download and install one of the Catalyst drivers from
>> 'AMD GAME Drivers & Tools'
>> (http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...=xp/radeonx-xp)
>> (This is actually a graphics driver, but also required to squeeze
>> sound out of the box)
>> 3. Download and install the Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs
>> fromhttp://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/down...3&GetDown=false
>>
>> hope this helps

> Thanks, I appreciate your help! I'll let you know how it goes.

OK, I managed to get all the drivers and managed to install XP Home Edition.
It seems to work fine, although a few issues have emerged since.

- I recently noticed my Acer USB keyboard doesn't seem to work when I want
to access, say, the BIOS setup. Funnily enough I CAN use the keyboard to
enter the BIOS in the first place, so why doesn't it work? I don't know if
installing XP has anything to do with it. It used to work before.

- Last week I installed a second drive. While it seems to run reliably, I've
had Windows hang a couple of times since. The desktop loads, but it seems to
hang trying to load more stuff, such as the items in the system tray. I can
move the mouse, and it changes into an hourglass when I hower the mouse over
the taskbar. I can get the system to work ok by accessing the task manager
and logging off and then back on.

Because the is started at around the time I installed the new drive, so
naturally I was wondering if there might be a connection. But then again I
only installed XP on this Acer M3610 just 2 weeks or so ago, so maybe
there's something else going on?

I have to say I wasn't sure if I connected the drive in the right slot. As I
don't have any manual for my mobo, I just made a guess.