Acer Aspire5630, change partitions size

Ralph2

Is anyone home at the support desk at Acer.com.. Replies (read none)
don't seem to be forthcoming.

Can anyone give advice on how to change the partition (?) size. The HD
is divided into 2 drives of 70 GB. With only some of my applications
installed and Vista I am left with only 26 GB of free space and a full
69.9 on D: Not that clever a choice from Acer.. in my opinion.

My options seem to be to re size C and D or move all my documents into
D: Not being familiar with the Vista system... can I "move" my
documents as one can in Windows XP or Windows 2000.
In which drive is the hidden restore folder / partition? and would re
sizing affect this.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice
Ralph

ctowers

Ralph2 wrote:
> Is anyone home at the support desk at Acer.com.. Replies (read none)
> don't seem to be forthcoming.
>
> Can anyone give advice on how to change the partition (?) size. The HD
> is divided into 2 drives of 70 GB. With only some of my applications
> installed and Vista I am left with only 26 GB of free space and a full
> 69.9 on D: Not that clever a choice from Acer.. in my opinion.
>
> My options seem to be to re size C and D or move all my documents into
> D: Not being familiar with the Vista system... can I "move" my
> documents as one can in Windows XP or Windows 2000.
> In which drive is the hidden restore folder / partition? and would re
> sizing affect this.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts or advice
> Ralph

Third party software would enable you to change partition size, but you have
a decent setup now, why bother?
--
_ct_

litefrozen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ralph2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is anyone home at the support desk at Acer.com.. Replies (read none)
> don't seem to be forthcoming.
>
> Can anyone give advice on how to change the partition (?) size. The HD
> is divided into 2 drives of 70 GB. With only some of my applications
> installed and Vista I am left with only 26 GB of free space and a full
> 69.9 on D: Not that clever a choice from Acer.. in my opinion.
>
> My options seem to be to re size C and D or move all my documents into
> D: Not being familiar with the Vista system... can I "move" my
> documents as one can in Windows XP or Windows 2000.
> In which drive is the hidden restore folder / partition? and would re
> sizing affect this.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts or advice
> Ralph

The hidden partition is not on either the C or D partitions, Its is in its own partition.
The hard drive is divided into 3 partitions the C drive with the system on it, D drive is empty and the
hidden partition called PQSERVICE that has the factory backup that you use to restore the computer
back to how it came from the factory.

Chris Syn

eh, wrong ....the files are on D drive....

news:120820072258392057%(E-Mail Removed). ..

In article <Sj2wi.9$(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris Syn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> eh, wrong ....the files are on D drive....
>
> "litefrozen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:120820072258392057%(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ralph2
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Is anyone home at the support desk at Acer.com.. Replies (read none)
> >> don't seem to be forthcoming.
> >>
> >> Can anyone give advice on how to change the partition (?) size. The HD
> >> is divided into 2 drives of 70 GB. With only some of my applications
> >> installed and Vista I am left with only 26 GB of free space and a full
> >> 69.9 on D: Not that clever a choice from Acer.. in my opinion.
> >>
> >> My options seem to be to re size C and D or move all my documents into
> >> D: Not being familiar with the Vista system... can I "move" my
> >> documents as one can in Windows XP or Windows 2000.
> >> In which drive is the hidden restore folder / partition? and would re
> >> sizing affect this.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any thoughts or advice
> >> Ralph

> > The hidden partition is not on either the C or D partitions, Its is in its
> > own partition.
> > The hard drive is divided into 3 partitions the C drive with the system on
> > it, D drive is empty and the
> > hidden partition called PQSERVICE that has the factory backup that you use
> > to restore the computer
> > back to how it came from the factory.

Now are we talking about the Vista System restore files, yes they can be on the D drive.
or are we talking about the Hidden partition that has the files to do the factory restore.
Because that has its own partition.

doS

Nope the system restore files are hidden on D

news:130820072158002828%(E-Mail Removed). ..

In article <yM8wi.98$(E-Mail Removed)>, doS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nope the system restore files are hidden on D
>
> "litefrozen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:130820072158002828%(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > In article <Sj2wi.9$(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris Syn
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> eh, wrong ....the files are on D drive....
> >>
> >> "litefrozen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:120820072258392057%(E-Mail Removed). ..

> > Now are we talking about the Vista System restore files, yes they can be
> > on the D drive.
> > or are we talking about the Hidden partition that has the files to do the
> > factory restore.
> > Because that has its own partition.

If the computer came from the factory with Vista on it.
the harddrive is divided into 3 partitions.

One partition is the C drive which has the operating system on it.
the next partition is the D drive which has/or can have the hidden files used by the OS for System Restore on it.
partition#3 is a hidden partition which has the disc image that acer eRecovery use's to restore the drive
back to how it came from the factory

The hidden partition is what I was talking about, not the hidden files for restore used by the OS.

Jim

litefrozen wrote:
>the hidden partition called PQSERVICE that has the factory backup that you use to restore the computer
> back to how it came from the factory.

Any concern with taking that partition and copying it to a network drive
or perhaps an optical disc?

Dan Caron

litefrozen wrote:
> In article <yM8wi.98$(E-Mail Removed)>, doS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Nope the system restore files are hidden on D
>>
>> "litefrozen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:130820072158002828%(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Now are we talking about the Vista System restore files, yes they can be
>>> on the D drive.
>>> or are we talking about the Hidden partition that has the files to do the
>>> factory restore.
>>> Because that has its own partition.

> If the computer came from the factory with Vista on it.
> the harddrive is divided into 3 partitions.
>
> One partition is the C drive which has the operating system on it.
> the next partition is the D drive which has/or can have the hidden files used by the OS for System Restore on it.
> partition#3 is a hidden partition which has the disc image that acer eRecovery use's to restore the drive
> back to how it came from the factory
>
> The hidden partition is what I was talking about, not the hidden files for restore used by the OS.

Litefrozen is correct. 3 Partitions. The Restore files are on a hidden
partition. I am a repair tech for Acer.

Ralph2

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:25:16 -0400, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>litefrozen wrote:
>>the hidden partition called PQSERVICE that has the factory backup that you use to restore the computer
>> back to how it came from the factory.

>Any concern with taking that partition and copying it to a network drive
>or perhaps an optical disc?

Thanks to all for the information... But... back to the original
question... With what and / or how can I re size the partitions. As I
see it currently D: is useless. Is there a "MOVE" function in Vista to
have all my Documents go to D.. as one can with XP
Ralph