Acer Netbook battery won't charge

Ed Maier

Won't take a charge, nada. Works okay with the power adapter, though.
Any suggestions?

Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
and remove "takethisout.")

Thanks,

Eddie

Ben Myers

On 5/29/2010 5:53 PM, Ed Maier wrote:
> Won't take a charge, nada. Works okay with the power adapter, though.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
> and remove "takethisout.")
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eddie

How old is the battery? If old enough, it could be worn out. Also
could be a failure in the netbook's battery charging circuit... Ben Myers

Ed Maier

On 5/29/2010 5:14 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
> On 5/29/2010 5:53 PM, Ed Maier wrote:
>> Won't take a charge, nada. Works okay with the power adapter, though.
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
>> and remove "takethisout.")
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eddie

> How old is the battery? If old enough, it could be worn out. Also could
> be a failure in the netbook's battery charging circuit... Ben Myers

I'm convinced it's the charging circuit. One day it was working
perfectly; the next day it was kaput. It shuts down immediately when I
pull the external power jack, and it is by no means a normal shutdown,
sort of like suddenly unplugging your desktop. When I power it back up,
it goes through the disk scan routine. (Note: this one is the version
with the solid state drive.)

Pulled the battery, cleaned the contacts, and reseated it with no luck.
I think it's time for ..... .....an iPad?
:-)

Eddie

Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
and remove "takethisout.")

clare@snyder.on.ca

On Sat, 29 May 2010 21:19:15 -0500, Ed Maier
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 5/29/2010 5:14 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
>> On 5/29/2010 5:53 PM, Ed Maier wrote:
>>> Won't take a charge, nada. Works okay with the power adapter, though.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
>>> and remove "takethisout.")
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Eddie

>> How old is the battery? If old enough, it could be worn out. Also could
>> be a failure in the netbook's battery charging circuit... Ben Myers

>I'm convinced it's the charging circuit. One day it was working
>perfectly; the next day it was kaput. It shuts down immediately when I
>pull the external power jack, and it is by no means a normal shutdown,
>sort of like suddenly unplugging your desktop. When I power it back up,
>it goes through the disk scan routine. (Note: this one is the version
>with the solid state drive.)
>
>Pulled the battery, cleaned the contacts, and reseated it with no luck.
>I think it's time for ..... .....an iPad?
>:-)
>
>Eddie
>
>Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
> and remove "takethisout.")

I strongly suspect one cell shorted. Voltage too low to run the
computer. I had a Dell do that. A couple weeks after the battery
would not run the computer, the system started shutting down, then
would not boot untill I removed the battery. I tore the battery apart
and replaced the bad cell with a good cell from another dead battery
and it's been working fine since.

yp@cw.org

Typical behavior for Acer POS. Its beginning to die. Better start
looking for a replacement.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 5/29/2010 5:14 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
>> On 5/29/2010 5:53 PM, Ed Maier wrote:
>>> Won't take a charge, nada. Works okay with the power adapter, though.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
>>> and remove "takethisout.")
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Eddie

>> How old is the battery? If old enough, it could be worn out. Also could
>> be a failure in the netbook's battery charging circuit... Ben Myers

>I'm convinced it's the charging circuit. One day it was working
>perfectly; the next day it was kaput. It shuts down immediately when I
>pull the external power jack, and it is by no means a normal shutdown,
>sort of like suddenly unplugging your desktop. When I power it back up,
>it goes through the disk scan routine. (Note: this one is the version
>with the solid state drive.)
>
>Pulled the battery, cleaned the contacts, and reseated it with no luck.
>I think it's time for ..... .....an iPad?
>:-)
>
>Eddie
>
>Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
> and remove "takethisout.")

Ed Maier

> Typical behavior for Acer POS. Its beginning to die. Better start
> looking for a replacement.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. The first desktop I ever owned
was an Acer 486SX-60. I was wanting it to die so I could move up to the
Pentiums, but it never did. Sold it to a friend at work, he later gave
it to his son, and the damn thing still works! (And it still runs Win
3.1.) I understand he still fires it up on occasion.

Eddie

clare@snyder.on.ca

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 09:17:37 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Typical behavior for Acer POS. Its beginning to die. Better start
>looking for a replacement.

Acer is not the second largest computer manufacturer in the world
without good reason. Like anyone else's product, their cheap stuff is
cheap - but their good stuff is as good as, or better than,(most of)
their competition.

yp@cw.org

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 20:48:34 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 09:17:37 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>Typical behavior for Acer POS. Its beginning to die. Better start
>>looking for a replacement.
>>

>Acer is not the second largest computer manufacturer in the world
>without good reason. Like anyone else's product, their cheap stuff is
>cheap - but their good stuff is as good as, or better than,(most of)
>their competition.

That don't mean they're good. I had two, top of the liners and both
failed after a year. Repair/tech support was the pitts. I think acer
has a lot of "one time" purchasers.

clare@snyder.on.ca

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 08:17:19 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 20:48:34 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 09:17:37 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>Typical behavior for Acer POS. Its beginning to die. Better start
>>>looking for a replacement.
>>>

>>Acer is not the second largest computer manufacturer in the world
>>without good reason. Like anyone else's product, their cheap stuff is
>>cheap - but their good stuff is as good as, or better than,(most of)
>>their competition.

>That don't mean they're good. I had two, top of the liners and both
>failed after a year. Repair/tech support was the pitts. I think acer
>has a lot of "one time" purchasers.

Well, I sell computers - and I sell a LOT of Acers. I don't see many
quality issues. I see more HP/Compaq problems than Acer problems (and
I sell a lot less of them)

Quite a few customers are buying acers to replace 7 year old acers.
(which are still working just fine, thank you)

Ben Myers

> On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 08:17:19 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Acer is not the second largest computer manufacturer in the world
>>> without good reason. Like anyone else's product, their cheap stuff is
>>> cheap - but their good stuff is as good as, or better than,(most of)
>>> their competition.

>> That don't mean they're good. I had two, top of the liners and both
>> failed after a year. Repair/tech support was the pitts. I think acer
>> has a lot of "one time" purchasers.

> Well, I sell computers - and I sell a LOT of Acers. I don't see many
> quality issues. I see more HP/Compaq problems than Acer problems (and
> I sell a lot less of them)
>
> Quite a few customers are buying acers to replace 7 year old acers.
> (which are still working just fine, thank you)

Well, for the most part I avoid selling HPaq computers, too. The
exceptions are XW4000 series workstations which are powerful and quiet,
much quieter than comparable Dell or other higher end systems.

You can take all the computers of all brands sold in mass market retail
stores and toss them in the dumpster. There is a reason why every name
brand manufacturer has both consumer and business systems. Consumer
computers are assembled from cheaper parts, with the realization that if
they fail, the company can deal with consumers on a one-off basis
without serious repercussions. Business-class computers are generally
sturdier and made with better quality parts, with the realization that
if a big corporation buys a few thousand and they don't work right, they
will be sitting on the loading dock to be returned to the manufacturer.
This is something of an over-generalization, but it has largely held
true for all of this century and most of the '90s.

So if the OP bought the netbook from a mass market retailer, the netbook
is probably a piece of crap. But, then, I think that all netbooks are
throwaway pieces of crap. For a couple more pounds of weight and many
more bucks, I would prefer to have a name-brand 12" notebook computer
with fewer compromises in LCD quality and a keyboard with
reasonably-sized keys. Again, I am tarring and feathering all netbooks.
But that's my opinion, FWIW, after many decades in this business...
Ben Myers