ACPI Multiprocessor problem

Falco

I recently upgraded from P4 2.53 to a 3 gig Prescott on IC7 (running @
3526. Since then after every reboot/startup I get hardware wizard wanting
to install a ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I click next and let it run it's coarse
and end up with "There was a problem installing this hardware, The data is
invalid." Any way to correct this?

Thanks

murph1012

"Falco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently upgraded from P4 2.53 to a 3 gig Prescott on IC7 (running @
> 3526. Since then after every reboot/startup I get hardware wizard
> wanting to install a ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I click next and let it run
> it's coarse and end up with "There was a problem installing this hardware,
> The data is invalid." Any way to correct this?
>
> Thanks

Update your HAL (hardware abstraction layer) on your computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234558/en-us

Falco

Still get the same message, Murph, "The data is invalid." I should have
mentioned that I'm running XP Pro with sp2 and your link was for win 2000
fix. Not sure if that makes a diff or not. Thanks though

"murph1012" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4568d1c9$0$97243$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...

> "Falco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I recently upgraded from P4 2.53 to a 3 gig Prescott on IC7 (running
>> @ 3526. Since then after every reboot/startup I get hardware wizard
>> wanting to install a ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I click next and let it run
>> it's coarse and end up with "There was a problem installing this
>> hardware, The data is invalid." Any way to correct this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Update your HAL (hardware abstraction layer) on your computer.

blahblah_nospam@sbcglobal.net

Check your system bios for an ACPI option. Make sure it's
enabled. Or, if it's enabled, try disabling it and see if the error
message goes away.

If nothing else works your only option may be to completely
reinstall WinXP.

"Falco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Still get the same message, Murph, "The data is invalid." I should have
> mentioned that I'm running XP Pro with sp2 and your link was for win 2000
> fix. Not sure if that makes a diff or not. Thanks though
>
> "murph1012" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4568d1c9$0$97243$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> >
> > "Falco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I recently upgraded from P4 2.53 to a 3 gig Prescott on IC7 (running
> >> @ 3526. Since then after every reboot/startup I get hardware wizard
> >> wanting to install a ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I click next and let it run
> >> it's coarse and end up with "There was a problem installing this
> >> hardware, The data is invalid." Any way to correct this?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> > Update your HAL (hardware abstraction layer) on your computer.

VideoReDo Sucks

@
> 3526. Since then after every reboot/startup I get hardware wizard

wanting
> to install a ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I click next and let it run it's

coarse
> and end up with "There was a problem installing this hardware, The data is
> invalid." Any way to correct this?
>
> Thanks

Disable hyperthreading in BIOS.

Falco

Isn't hyperthreading a good thing though?

"VideoReDo Sucks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4569ac0e$0$4014$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "Falco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I recently upgraded from P4 2.53 to a 3 gig Prescott on IC7 (running

> @
>> 3526. Since then after every reboot/startup I get hardware wizard

> wanting
>> to install a ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I click next and let it run it's

> coarse
>> and end up with "There was a problem installing this hardware, The data
>> is
>> invalid." Any way to correct this?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Disable hyperthreading in BIOS.
>

> --
> Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access

R. J. Salvi

Disable HT and try reinstalling the multiprocessor driver. The
multiprocessor driver should always be installed *prior to* activating HT in
the BIOS.

--
RJ

"Falco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Isn't hyperthreading a good thing though?
>
> "VideoReDo Sucks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4569ac0e$0$4014$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> "Falco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I recently upgraded from P4 2.53 to a 3 gig Prescott on IC7
>>> (running

>> @
>>> 3526. Since then after every reboot/startup I get hardware wizard

>> wanting
>>> to install a ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I click next and let it run it's

>> coarse
>>> and end up with "There was a problem installing this hardware, The data
>>> is
>>> invalid." Any way to correct this?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Disable hyperthreading in BIOS.
>>

>> --
>> Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access

Falco

Still a no go. Even with HT turned off I still get Mr. Wizard popping up
after rebooting with the same results.
It seems my only fix is full reinstall as Blahblah mentioned in an earlier
reply which probably isn't a bad idea. Ol' junior hasn't had a full format
enema in almost 2 years anywho. Thanks for all the help!

Falco

news:6Xlah.47283$(E-Mail Removed)...

frodo@theshire.net

Falco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Still a no go. Even with HT turned off I still get Mr. Wizard popping up
> after rebooting with the same results.
> It seems my only fix is full reinstall as Blahblah mentioned in an earlier
> reply which probably isn't a bad idea. Ol' junior hasn't had a full format
> enema in almost 2 years anywho. Thanks for all the help!

a full install after two years isn't a terrible idea, but you could just
do a REPAIR install, not a full install. That'll get the right hal
installed. And you SHOULD have hyperthreading ENABLED before you do this,
so it will see that it's a multiprocessor.

if you're adventuresome, google around for unoffical ways to alter the hal
by hand, it can be done. Note that after the repair install all hotfixes
will be gone, you'll need to go to windows update and get 'em all again
(or better, check out autopatcher).

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco
I recently upgraded from P4 2.53 to a 3 gig Prescott on IC7 (running @
3526. Since then after every reboot/startup I get hardware wizard wanting
to install a ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I click next and let it run it's coarse
and end up with "There was a problem installing this hardware, The data is
invalid." Any way to correct this?

Thanks
I JUST REFORMATTED MY DRIVE WITH THE PROCESSOR IN THE COMPUTER AND IT TOOK CARE OF THE PROBLEM