activating XP tablet PC

Spider-Waffle

I've installed XP tablet PC but before I can log on I have to activate it. I
can't activate over the internet because I can't log in and install drivers
to setup an internet connection. If I try to activate over the phone It
leaves a blank line where the number is your supposed to give the customer
service representative.

How can I activate this?

V Green

Huh. Something's wrong. You should have 30 days
to activate - you should be able to get to the desktop to
load all your stuff and activate anytime before then.

Did you create the Administrator account during Setup?

"Spider-Waffle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've installed XP tablet PC but before I can log on I have to activate it. I
> can't activate over the internet because I can't log in and install drivers
> to setup an internet connection. If I try to activate over the phone It
> leaves a blank line where the number is your supposed to give the customer
> service representative.
>
> How can I activate this?

Spider-Waffle

Ya I think so, that's the only account available to log into.

"V Green" wrote:

> Huh. Something's wrong. You should have 30 days
> to activate - you should be able to get to the desktop to
> load all your stuff and activate anytime before then.
>
> Did you create the Administrator account during Setup?
>
> "Spider-Waffle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've installed XP tablet PC but before I can log on I have to activate it. I
> > can't activate over the internet because I can't log in and install drivers
> > to setup an internet connection. If I try to activate over the phone It
> > leaves a blank line where the number is your supposed to give the customer
> > service representative.
> >
> > How can I activate this?

V Green

2 things:

Can you get in in Safe Mode?

The number I think you need to give over the phone
is the product key: 5 groups of 5 characters. It should
be with the install CD's.

"Spider-Waffle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ya I think so, that's the only account available to log into.
>
> "V Green" wrote:
>
> > Huh. Something's wrong. You should have 30 days
> > to activate - you should be able to get to the desktop to
> > load all your stuff and activate anytime before then.
> >
> > Did you create the Administrator account during Setup?
> >
> > "Spider-Waffle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I've installed XP tablet PC but before I can log on I have to activate it.

> > > can't activate over the internet because I can't log in and install

drivers
> > > to setup an internet connection. If I try to activate over the phone It
> > > leaves a blank line where the number is your supposed to give the customer
> > > service representative.
> > >
> > > How can I activate this?

Spider-Waffle

Yes, I can get into safe mode, but it can't read a CD-r from there so I still
can't install motherboard drivers and get an internet connection.

I tried giving them the CD key over the phone but they said it should be
only numbers.

"V Green" wrote:

> 2 things:
>
> Can you get in in Safe Mode?
>
> The number I think you need to give over the phone
> is the product key: 5 groups of 5 characters. It should
> be with the install CD's.
>
> "Spider-Waffle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ya I think so, that's the only account available to log into.
> >
> > "V Green" wrote:
> >
> > > Huh. Something's wrong. You should have 30 days
> > > to activate - you should be able to get to the desktop to
> > > load all your stuff and activate anytime before then.
> > >
> > > Did you create the Administrator account during Setup?
> > >
> > > "Spider-Waffle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> drivers

V Green

Does your tablet have a CF or SD slot?
Does it work in Safe Mode?

"Spider-Waffle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, I can get into safe mode, but it can't read a CD-r from there so I still
> can't install motherboard drivers and get an internet connection.
>
> I tried giving them the CD key over the phone but they said it should be
> only numbers.
>
> "V Green" wrote:
>
> > 2 things:
> >
> > Can you get in in Safe Mode?
> >
> > The number I think you need to give over the phone
> > is the product key: 5 groups of 5 characters. It should
> > be with the install CD's.
> >
> > "Spider-Waffle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Ya I think so, that's the only account available to log into.

message

it.

> > drivers

It

customer

Hilton Locke [MSFT]

Check your system's BIOS date.
I've seen this behavior when the BIOS date is wacky (e.g. 2/21/2099)

Resetting the BIOS date should give you the chance to log in and install
your drivers (but it may not, ymmv)

--Hilton Locke

"Spider-Waffle" wrote:

> I've installed XP tablet PC but before I can log on I have to activate it. I
> can't activate over the internet because I can't log in and install drivers
> to setup an internet connection. If I try to activate over the phone It
> leaves a blank line where the number is your supposed to give the customer
> service representative.
>
> How can I activate this?

Spider-Waffle

The bios date was correct. It's a normal PC, just a optical drive.

I've read that your supposed to be able to get a Product ID number from
tablet PC to activate.