Actual power consumption of mid-range PC

Jon D

What power does a real-life average-to-middle modern PC system unit
consume? I want to keep the power consumption down.

Don't know much about current AMD cpu's or the roadmaps but something
I would tend to go for something at the "value" end of the market
provided it's not a dead end in 6 months!

I would like a real-life figure rather than fill in a consumptio
chart and make various assumptions.

-----

My existing PC is:
Athlon 2100+ socket-A
1GB SDRAM
air-cooled VIA mobo
air-cooled graphics GeForce2 card
few hard drives
It consumes about 115W (under load it's a bit more).

It's 17 inch CRT uses about 65 to 70 W.
Printers & scanners are extra.

Jon D

Please ignore. I thought my system crash meant my previous attempt at
posting had got lost.

Brownz @ Work

Jon D wrote:
> Please ignore. I thought my system crash meant my previous attempt at
> posting had got lost.
>
> On 21 Jul 2006, Jon D<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> What power does a real-life average-to-middle modern PC system unit
>> consume? I want to keep the power consumption down.
>>
>> Don't know much about current AMD cpu's or the roadmaps but something
>> I would tend to go for something at the "value" end of the market
>> provided it's not a dead end in 6 months!
>>
>> I would like a real-life figure rather than fill in a consumptio
>> chart and make various assumptions.
>>
>> -----
>>
>> My existing PC is:
>> Athlon 2100+ socket-A
>> 1GB SDRAM
>> air-cooled VIA mobo
>> air-cooled graphics GeForce2 card
>> few hard drives
>> It consumes about 115W (under load it's a bit more).
>>
>> It's 17 inch CRT uses about 65 to 70 W.
>> Printers & scanners are extra.

Obviously you need a bigger power supply ..... ;-)

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

RRS

My existing PC:
Athlon 64 X2 4400+ socket 939
2GB DDR SDRAM
air-cooled Nvidia mobo
fan-cooled graphics ATI X800GTO video card
3 hard drives
3 case fans
DVD-RW
DVD-ROM
DSL Modem
8 port switch
19 inch LCD.
75W Speaker system

Total 216 watts +/-

"Jon D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> What power does a real-life average-to-middle modern PC system unit
> consume? I want to keep the power consumption down.
>
> Don't know much about current AMD cpu's or the roadmaps but something
> I would tend to go for something at the "value" end of the market
> provided it's not a dead end in 6 months!
>
> I would like a real-life figure rather than fill in a consumptio
> chart and make various assumptions.
>
> -----
>
> My existing PC is:
> Athlon 2100+ socket-A
> 1GB SDRAM
> air-cooled VIA mobo
> air-cooled graphics GeForce2 card
> few hard drives
> It consumes about 115W (under load it's a bit more).
>
> It's 17 inch CRT uses about 65 to 70 W.
> Printers & scanners are extra.

Alex Coleman

On 22 Jul 2006, RRS<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My existing PC:
> Athlon 64 X2 4400+ socket 939
> 2GB DDR SDRAM
> air-cooled Nvidia mobo
> fan-cooled graphics ATI X800GTO video card
> 3 hard drives
> 3 case fans
> DVD-RW
> DVD-ROM
> DSL Modem
> 8 port switch
> 19 inch LCD.
> 75W Speaker system
>
> Total 216 watts +/-

That power consumption figure seems impressively low.

No chance of an error anywhere?

> "Jon D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> What power does a real-life average-to-middle modern PC system
>> unit consume? I want to keep the power consumption down.
>>
>> Don't know much about current AMD cpu's or the roadmaps but
>> something I would tend to go for something at the "value" end of
>> the market provided it's not a dead end in 6 months!
>>
>> I would like a real-life figure rather than fill in a consumptio
>> chart and make various assumptions.
>>
>> -----
>>
>> My existing PC is:
>> Athlon 2100+ socket-A
>> 1GB SDRAM
>> air-cooled VIA mobo
>> air-cooled graphics GeForce2 card
>> few hard drives
>> It consumes about 115W (under load it's a bit more).
>>
>> It's 17 inch CRT uses about 65 to 70 W.
>> Printers & scanners are extra.

RRS

I guess there's always that possibility?

Here's some other reading. They are measured through a APC Back-ups XS 1500
UPS
using their software.

Computer only 155 w
+ monitor 181 w
+ DSL Modem 190 w
+ Switch 198 w
+ Speakers 216 w

these reading are measured at idle, pretty much.

playing a video with sound cranked up 224 watts.

"Alex Coleman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On 22 Jul 2006, RRS<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> My existing PC:
>> Athlon 64 X2 4400+ socket 939
>> 2GB DDR SDRAM
>> air-cooled Nvidia mobo
>> fan-cooled graphics ATI X800GTO video card
>> 3 hard drives
>> 3 case fans
>> DVD-RW
>> DVD-ROM
>> DSL Modem
>> 8 port switch
>> 19 inch LCD.
>> 75W Speaker system
>>
>> Total 216 watts +/-

> That power consumption figure seems impressively low.
>
> No chance of an error anywhere?
>

>> "Jon D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> What power does a real-life average-to-middle modern PC system
>>> unit consume? I want to keep the power consumption down.
>>>
>>> Don't know much about current AMD cpu's or the roadmaps but
>>> something I would tend to go for something at the "value" end of
>>> the market provided it's not a dead end in 6 months!
>>>
>>> I would like a real-life figure rather than fill in a consumptio
>>> chart and make various assumptions.
>>>
>>> -----
>>>
>>> My existing PC is:
>>> Athlon 2100+ socket-A
>>> 1GB SDRAM
>>> air-cooled VIA mobo
>>> air-cooled graphics GeForce2 card
>>> few hard drives
>>> It consumes about 115W (under load it's a bit more).
>>>
>>> It's 17 inch CRT uses about 65 to 70 W.
>>> Printers & scanners are extra.

Wes Newell

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:01:46 +0100, Alex Coleman wrote:

> On 22 Jul 2006, RRS<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> My existing PC:
>> Athlon 64 X2 4400+ socket 939
>> 2GB DDR SDRAM
>> air-cooled Nvidia mobo
>> fan-cooled graphics ATI X800GTO video card
>> 3 hard drives
>> 3 case fans
>> DVD-RW
>> DVD-ROM
>> DSL Modem
>> 8 port switch
>> 19 inch LCD.
>> 75W Speaker system
>>
>> Total 216 watts +/-

> That power consumption figure seems impressively low.
>
> No chance of an error anywhere?

He just forgot to put 200W behind the +/-.:-)
Total 216 watts +/- 200W

RRS

Check out this article
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1937989,00.asp

"RRS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I guess there's always that possibility?
>
> Here's some other reading. They are measured through a APC Back-ups XS
> 1500 UPS
> using their software.
>
> Computer only 155 w
> + monitor 181 w
> + DSL Modem 190 w
> + Switch 198 w
> + Speakers 216 w
>
> these reading are measured at idle, pretty much.
>
> playing a video with sound cranked up 224 watts.
>

> "Alex Coleman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> On 22 Jul 2006, RRS<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> My existing PC:
>>> Athlon 64 X2 4400+ socket 939
>>> 2GB DDR SDRAM
>>> air-cooled Nvidia mobo
>>> fan-cooled graphics ATI X800GTO video card
>>> 3 hard drives
>>> 3 case fans
>>> DVD-RW
>>> DVD-ROM
>>> DSL Modem
>>> 8 port switch
>>> 19 inch LCD.

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:29:24 -0500, RRS wrote:

> Check out this article
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1937989,00.asp

I checked it out. Wouldn't believe a thing these guys say. Showed charts
with Intel speedstep running while the AMD cpu's CnQ was disabled. And
then when they explained how it works they got that wrong. Their test
indicated to me that it was still not working when they supposedly enabled
it. probably because all they did was enable it in the bios and not the
OS. Is most of their data correct? I sure wouldn't trust it.