Add More Ram - How Many Volts?

Daddy

I'm thinking of adding RAM to my Studio XPS 8100 desktop. I'd like to
buy a pair of 4GB sticks.

Crucial sells two otherwise identical models except that one is listed
as 1.35 volts and the other is 1.5 volts. Both the same price.

How do I choose between different voltages? Or should I simply match the
voltage of what I have now?

Daddy

RnR

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 15:15:17 -0500, Daddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm thinking of adding RAM to my Studio XPS 8100 desktop. I'd like to
>buy a pair of 4GB sticks.
>
>Crucial sells two otherwise identical models except that one is listed
>as 1.35 volts and the other is 1.5 volts. Both the same price.
>
>How do I choose between different voltages? Or should I simply match the
>voltage of what I have now?
>
>Daddy

Spec out your desktop on Crucial and just pick whatever they offer for
your pc. If they say either will work, don't worry. If you are
really paranoid, then of course match what you have.

Boris

Daddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:jgc6g8$eru$(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm thinking of adding RAM to my Studio XPS 8100 desktop. I'd like to
> buy a pair of 4GB sticks.
>
> Crucial sells two otherwise identical models except that one is listed
> as 1.35 volts and the other is 1.5 volts. Both the same price.
>
> How do I choose between different voltages? Or should I simply match
> the voltage of what I have now?
>
> Daddy

Hi,

I just added memory to my XPS8100 in November, and had the same
question. 1.35v just uses less power, and will work, I have been told
and have read. None the less, I wanted to match the voltage of with
what was already in the machine (I'm overly cautious), but no where in
the specs could I find what I already had. Since the 1.35v is newer
than the 1.5v version, and my machine was already more than a year old,
I punted and assumed I had the 1.5v ram, so I ordered the 1.5v. All
worked fine.

The 1.35v and the 1.5v that was offered at the time were the same price,
so it was an easy choice. I see that they are still the same price as
in November.

If Crucial lists both voltages, then either should work just fine, too.

Daddy

Boris wrote:
> Daddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:jgc6g8$eru$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I'm thinking of adding RAM to my Studio XPS 8100 desktop. I'd like to
>> buy a pair of 4GB sticks.
>>
>> Crucial sells two otherwise identical models except that one is listed
>> as 1.35 volts and the other is 1.5 volts. Both the same price.
>>
>> How do I choose between different voltages? Or should I simply match
>> the voltage of what I have now?
>>
>> Daddy

> Hi,
>
> I just added memory to my XPS8100 in November, and had the same
> question. 1.35v just uses less power, and will work, I have been told
> and have read. None the less, I wanted to match the voltage of with
> what was already in the machine (I'm overly cautious), but no where in
> the specs could I find what I already had. Since the 1.35v is newer
> than the 1.5v version, and my machine was already more than a year old,
> I punted and assumed I had the 1.5v ram, so I ordered the 1.5v. All
> worked fine.
>
> The 1.35v and the 1.5v that was offered at the time were the same price,
> so it was an easy choice. I see that they are still the same price as
> in November.
>
> If Crucial lists both voltages, then either should work just fine, too.

Thanks. Both will work, but like you, I am cautious and wanted to match
what was already in my computer.

This is not the first RAM upgrade for this computer. I've added RAM
twice before, but in both cases there was only one choice available from
Crucial (for a 2x2GB kit), so that's what I bought. Now I'm looking for
a 2x4GB kit, and I discover that I have two choices, differing only in
their voltages. (I buy 'standard' RAM - not the high performance
overclocker stuff.)

I checked my invoice from the last time I bought RAM, and it turns out
that I got 1.5v. So that's what I'll buy this time.

Bummer that you can't do anything with the RAM you are replacing. Nobody
wants to buy it. Nobody wants to take it, even for free.

Daddy

rb

Daddy;1326854 Wrote:
> Boris wrote:
> > Daddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:jgc6g8$eru$(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> I'm thinking of adding RAM to my Studio XPS 8100 desktop. I'd like t

> >> buy a pair of 4GB sticks.
> >>
> >> Crucial sells two otherwise identical models except that one i

> listed
> >> as 1.35 volts and the other is 1.5 volts. Both the same price.
> >>
> >> How do I choose between different voltages? Or should I simply match
> >> the voltage of what I have now?
> >>
> >> Daddy

> > Hi,
> >
> > I just added memory to my XPS8100 in November, and had the same
> > question. 1.35v just uses less power, and will work, I have bee

> told
> > and have read. None the less, I wanted to match the voltage of with
> > what was already in the machine (I'm overly cautious), but no wher

> in
> > the specs could I find what I already had. Since the 1.35v is newer
> > than the 1.5v version, and my machine was already more than a yea

> old,
> > I punted and assumed I had the 1.5v ram, so I ordered the 1.5v. All
> > worked fine.
> >
> > The 1.35v and the 1.5v that was offered at the time were the sam

> price,
> > so it was an easy choice. I see that they are still the same pric

> as
> > in November.
> >
> > If Crucial lists both voltages, then either should work just fine

> too.
>
> Thanks. Both will work, but like you, I am cautious and wanted to matc
>
> what was already in my computer.
>
> This is not the first RAM upgrade for this computer. I've added RAM
> twice before, but in both cases there was only one choice available fro
>
> Crucial (for a 2x2GB kit), so that's what I bought. Now I'm looking fo
>
> a 2x4GB kit, and I discover that I have two choices, differing only in
> their voltages. (I buy 'standard' RAM - not the high performance
> overclocker stuff.)
>
> I checked my invoice from the last time I bought RAM, and it turns out
> that I got 1.5v. So that's what I'll buy this time.
>
> Bummer that you can't do anything with the RAM you are replacing. Nobod
>
> wants to buy it. Nobody wants to take it, even for free.
>
> Daddy

Always best to use matched sticks.
Mixing sticks of different voltage can cause system instability,
or depending on voltages, can damage the lower voltage sticks.

1.5v is standard voltage for DDR3 (but adding a matched pair of 1.35v i
ok).
The 8100 uses DDR3 and supports up to 16GB dual channel.
Being that you have a matched set of crucial 2x2g,
theres no need to remove those sticks.
Simply add the crucial 2x4g in the second bank,
for a total 12g dual channel