How to add sata driver after xp is installed IS7-V

I want to replace my maxtor 40 gig on ide 1 with a maxtor 200 gig sata
connected to sata 1. I'm going to use maxblast3 utility to copy the 40 gig
to the 200 gig, then remove the 40 gig and use the 200 gig as as the boot
drive. How do you install the sata driver from the abit cd to the existing
hd so the new one will boot after the copy? I tried to copy without
installing the sata driver but the new drive won't boot. The only way I can
get the new drive to work is to do a fresh xp install on the 200 gig and hit
f6 during setup and install the sata driver. Then I can install xp and it
works.

thanks

TomG

if you enable the SATA controller in raid mode with raid ROM enabled, even
though you are planning to use the controller in non-raid mode, then reboot,
XP will attempt to install a driver for the controller even if no hard drive
is connected to it.

the problem then becomes getting the system to find the new boot path when
you move the OS over to the SATA drive. there could be a number of issues
at work here from not having the bios set correctly to boot to the SATA
controller to having XP fall over when it is looking for the boot drive.

you need to be more specific for us and tell us what happened when you tried
to boot to the SATA controller... did you see any boot screens from XP or
did the system just halt at the end of the bios screens? if the latter
happened, it would imply that the bios boot priority was not set correctly
to allow the system to boot from the SATA controller.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:36Ewc.13543$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to replace my maxtor 40 gig on ide 1 with a maxtor 200 gig sata
> connected to sata 1. I'm going to use maxblast3 utility to copy the 40 gig
> to the 200 gig, then remove the 40 gig and use the 200 gig as as the boot
> drive. How do you install the sata driver from the abit cd to the existing
> hd so the new one will boot after the copy? I tried to copy without
> installing the sata driver but the new drive won't boot. The only way I

can
> get the new drive to work is to do a fresh xp install on the 200 gig and

hit
> f6 during setup and install the sata driver. Then I can install xp and it
> works.
>
> thanks

After I copied the 40 gig over to the 200 gig sata I removed the 40 gig and
tried to boot off the sata. It never started xp. It got as far as listing
the pci devices then gets hung up on "verify dmi pool data". I have hd set
as 1st boot device, hd boot priority is the sata, on chip sata is auto.
Without changing anything from here I can do a fresh install of xp on the
sata drive and it works. I just can't get the copied drive to boot. Also
this board is sata only , no raid if that makes a differance.

Thanks again.
"TomG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> if you enable the SATA controller in raid mode with raid ROM enabled, even
> though you are planning to use the controller in non-raid mode, then

reboot,
> XP will attempt to install a driver for the controller even if no hard

drive
> is connected to it.
>
> the problem then becomes getting the system to find the new boot path when
> you move the OS over to the SATA drive. there could be a number of issues
> at work here from not having the bios set correctly to boot to the SATA
> controller to having XP fall over when it is looking for the boot drive.
>
> you need to be more specific for us and tell us what happened when you

tried
> to boot to the SATA controller... did you see any boot screens from XP or
> did the system just halt at the end of the bios screens? if the latter
> happened, it would imply that the bios boot priority was not set correctly
> to allow the system to boot from the SATA controller.
>
> --
>
> Thomas Geery
> Network+ certified
>
> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> ^^^^^^^
>

> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:36Ewc.13543$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I want to replace my maxtor 40 gig on ide 1 with a maxtor 200 gig sata
> > connected to sata 1. I'm going to use maxblast3 utility to copy the 40

gig
> > to the 200 gig, then remove the 40 gig and use the 200 gig as as the

boot
> > drive. How do you install the sata driver from the abit cd to the

existing
> > hd so the new one will boot after the copy? I tried to copy without
> > installing the sata driver but the new drive won't boot. The only way I

> can
> > get the new drive to work is to do a fresh xp install on the 200 gig and

> hit
> > f6 during setup and install the sata driver. Then I can install xp and

it
> > works.
> >
> > thanks

ICee

J wrote:
> After I copied the 40 gig over to the 200 gig sata I removed the 40
> gig and tried to boot off the sata. It never started xp. It got as
> far as listing the pci devices then gets hung up on "verify dmi pool
> data". I have hd set as 1st boot device, hd boot priority is the
> sata, on chip sata is auto. Without changing anything from here I can
> do a fresh install of xp on the sata drive and it works. I just can't
> get the copied drive to boot. Also this board is sata only , no raid
> if that makes a differance.
>
> Thanks again.

I'm not sure what you should do, but here is an article that gives
causes and solutions for that problem (stops at verifying dmi pool
data). If nothing else, it's good for a reference.

> "TomG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> if you enable the SATA controller in raid mode with raid ROM
>> enabled, even though you are planning to use the controller in
>> non-raid mode, then reboot, XP will attempt to install a driver for
>> the controller even if no hard drive is connected to it.
>>
>> the problem then becomes getting the system to find the new boot
>> path when you move the OS over to the SATA drive. there could be a
>> number of issues at work here from not having the bios set correctly
>> to boot to the SATA controller to having XP fall over when it is
>> looking for the boot drive.
>>
>> you need to be more specific for us and tell us what happened when
>> you tried to boot to the SATA controller... did you see any boot
>> screens from XP or did the system just halt at the end of the bios
>> screens? if the latter happened, it would imply that the bios boot
>> priority was not set correctly to allow the system to boot from the
>> SATA controller.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Thomas Geery
>> Network+ certified
>>
>> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
>> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
>> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
>> over 130,000 FTP users served!
>> ^^^^^^^
>>

>> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:36Ewc.13543$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I want to replace my maxtor 40 gig on ide 1 with a maxtor 200 gig
>>> sata connected to sata 1. I'm going to use maxblast3 utility to
>>> copy the 40 gig to the 200 gig, then remove the 40 gig and use the
>>> 200 gig as as the boot drive. How do you install the sata driver
>>> from the abit cd to the existing hd so the new one will boot after
>>> the copy? I tried to copy without installing the sata driver but
>>> the new drive won't boot. The only way I can get the new drive to
>>> work is to do a fresh xp install on the 200 gig and hit f6 during
>>> setup and install the sata driver. Then I can install xp and it
>>> works.
>>>
>>> thanks

thanks for the info, I did a new install of xp and everthing is ok. Still
don't know why the drive won't work when the 40 gig is copied to it?
"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> J wrote:
> > After I copied the 40 gig over to the 200 gig sata I removed the 40
> > gig and tried to boot off the sata. It never started xp. It got as
> > far as listing the pci devices then gets hung up on "verify dmi pool
> > data". I have hd set as 1st boot device, hd boot priority is the
> > sata, on chip sata is auto. Without changing anything from here I can
> > do a fresh install of xp on the sata drive and it works. I just can't
> > get the copied drive to boot. Also this board is sata only , no raid
> > if that makes a differance.
> >
> > Thanks again.

> I'm not sure what you should do, but here is an article that gives
> causes and solutions for that problem (stops at verifying dmi pool
> data). If nothing else, it's good for a reference.
> http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm
>

> > "TomG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> if you enable the SATA controller in raid mode with raid ROM
> >> enabled, even though you are planning to use the controller in
> >> non-raid mode, then reboot, XP will attempt to install a driver for
> >> the controller even if no hard drive is connected to it.
> >>
> >> the problem then becomes getting the system to find the new boot
> >> path when you move the OS over to the SATA drive. there could be a
> >> number of issues at work here from not having the bios set correctly
> >> to boot to the SATA controller to having XP fall over when it is
> >> looking for the boot drive.
> >>
> >> you need to be more specific for us and tell us what happened when
> >> you tried to boot to the SATA controller... did you see any boot
> >> screens from XP or did the system just halt at the end of the bios
> >> screens? if the latter happened, it would imply that the bios boot
> >> priority was not set correctly to allow the system to boot from the
> >> SATA controller.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Thomas Geery
> >> Network+ certified
> >>
> >> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> >> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> >> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> >> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> >> ^^^^^^^
> >>

> >> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:36Ewc.13543$(E-Mail Removed)...

ICee

J wrote:
> thanks for the info, I did a new install of xp and everthing is ok.
> Still don't know why the drive won't work when the 40 gig is copied
> to it?

You're welcome. Glad you were able to get everthing working. When
installing XP, it asks you for the SATA driver very early in the
installation, and since it wasn't done when you installed it on the the
PATA drive, XP probably couldn't boot due to the missing proper
configuration and driver. You may have been able to edit the boot.ini
file to fix it, but I wouldn't know what you would have to have done.
XP is not at all like 95/98; with the earlier OS's, you could change
just about anything and it would just detect new hardware and boot right
up.

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> J wrote:
>>> After I copied the 40 gig over to the 200 gig sata I removed the 40
>>> gig and tried to boot off the sata. It never started xp. It got as
>>> far as listing the pci devices then gets hung up on "verify dmi pool
>>> data". I have hd set as 1st boot device, hd boot priority is the
>>> sata, on chip sata is auto. Without changing anything from here I
>>> can do a fresh install of xp on the sata drive and it works. I just
>>> can't get the copied drive to boot. Also this board is sata only ,
>>> no raid if that makes a differance.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.

>> I'm not sure what you should do, but here is an article that gives
>> causes and solutions for that problem (stops at verifying dmi pool
>> data). If nothing else, it's good for a reference.
>> http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm
>>

>>> "TomG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

TomG

try setting the SATA controller to raid mode and raid ROM enabled before you
ever move/change the drives. get the driver installed and then you can try
moving things around and setting the boot priority to add in device and then
add in device set to onchip SATA.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zQFwc.40587$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:36Ewc.13543$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I want to replace my maxtor 40 gig on ide 1 with a maxtor 200 gig sata
> > > connected to sata 1. I'm going to use maxblast3 utility to copy the 40

> gig
> > > to the 200 gig, then remove the 40 gig and use the 200 gig as as the

> boot
> > > drive. How do you install the sata driver from the abit cd to the

> existing
> > > hd so the new one will boot after the copy? I tried to copy without
> > > installing the sata driver but the new drive won't boot. The only way

> > can
> > > get the new drive to work is to do a fresh xp install on the 200 gig

and
> > hit
> > > f6 during setup and install the sata driver. Then I can install xp and

TomG

if it is stopping at DMI pool, it seems to me that it is not finding the
proper boot drive to go to and never even trying to load the OS.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
over 130,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> J wrote:
> > After I copied the 40 gig over to the 200 gig sata I removed the 40
> > gig and tried to boot off the sata. It never started xp. It got as
> > far as listing the pci devices then gets hung up on "verify dmi pool
> > data". I have hd set as 1st boot device, hd boot priority is the
> > sata, on chip sata is auto. Without changing anything from here I can
> > do a fresh install of xp on the sata drive and it works. I just can't
> > get the copied drive to boot. Also this board is sata only , no raid
> > if that makes a differance.
> >
> > Thanks again.

> I'm not sure what you should do, but here is an article that gives
> causes and solutions for that problem (stops at verifying dmi pool
> data). If nothing else, it's good for a reference.
> http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm
>

> > "TomG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> if you enable the SATA controller in raid mode with raid ROM
> >> enabled, even though you are planning to use the controller in
> >> non-raid mode, then reboot, XP will attempt to install a driver for
> >> the controller even if no hard drive is connected to it.
> >>
> >> the problem then becomes getting the system to find the new boot
> >> path when you move the OS over to the SATA drive. there could be a
> >> number of issues at work here from not having the bios set correctly
> >> to boot to the SATA controller to having XP fall over when it is
> >> looking for the boot drive.
> >>
> >> you need to be more specific for us and tell us what happened when
> >> you tried to boot to the SATA controller... did you see any boot
> >> screens from XP or did the system just halt at the end of the bios
> >> screens? if the latter happened, it would imply that the bios boot
> >> priority was not set correctly to allow the system to boot from the
> >> SATA controller.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Thomas Geery
> >> Network+ certified
> >>
> >> ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
> >> ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror <----- Cable modem IP
> >> This IP is dynamic so it *could* change!...
> >> over 130,000 FTP users served!
> >> ^^^^^^^
> >>

> >> "J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:36Ewc.13543$(E-Mail Removed)...

Chris Catt

Hi, why didn't you install the sata drivers on the 40g b4 you made the
transition???
Chris C