Adding SSD to AHCI setup

Tim Krupinski

First time poster here so any input is appreciated. Recently I got an OCZ Petrol 128 GB drive (I know i know ... reviews are crap but it was $60 new).. When I plug it into my P8z68-V PRO mobo, it is not even recognized. At first I thought the drive was dead, so I exchanged it. Fiddled with the settings, and no luck. Steps i've tried:

*Plugging only the SSD into the SATA6G_1 port - not recognized in BIOS.
*Having A 2TB WD HDD SATA3 drive plugged into SATA3G_2, the SSD in SATA3G_3and an ATAPI (dvd drive) in SATA3G_5 with AHCI enabled
*Plugging the SSD & HDD into the Marvell controller slots with AHCI enabled

Every time, the HDD & DVD-ROM is recognized, but the SSD never is. My BIOSis at 3204, and initially I was running just the HDD and DVD in AHCI mode (so windows was installed with AHCI enabled). Is my Mobo faulty? Do I need to say a prayer to the tech gods and dance in a semicircle three times?

Advice is appreciated.

Paul

Tim Krupinski wrote:
> First time poster here so any input is appreciated. Recently I got an OCZ Petrol 128 GB drive (I know i know ... reviews are crap but it was $60 new). When I plug it into my P8z68-V PRO mobo, it is not even recognized. At first I thought the drive was dead, so I exchanged it. Fiddled with the settings, and no luck. Steps i've tried:
>
> *Plugging only the SSD into the SATA6G_1 port - not recognized in BIOS.
> *Having A 2TB WD HDD SATA3 drive plugged into SATA3G_2, the SSD in SATA3G_3 and an ATAPI (dvd drive) in SATA3G_5 with AHCI enabled
> *Plugging the SSD & HDD into the Marvell controller slots with AHCI enabled
>
> Every time, the HDD & DVD-ROM is recognized, but the SSD never is. My BIOS is at 3204, and initially I was running just the HDD and DVD in AHCI mode (so windows was installed with AHCI enabled). Is my Mobo faulty? Do I need to say a prayer to the tech gods and dance in a semicircle three times?
>
> Advice is appreciated.

OCZ Petrol PTL1-25SAT3-128G

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0SF0BP6734

5 eggs * 18% (19)
4 eggs * 5% (5)
3 eggs * 6% (7)
2 eggs * 14% (15)
1 eggs * 57% (62)

More than *half* the people who bought it, are *completely* dissatisfied.
1 egg is the lowest rating.

I recommend:

1) Test with another motherboard.
2) Use a motherboard port rated at SATA II (300MB/sec) max.
This is in case the Indilinx port is marginal at 600MB/sec operation.

If the drive had a jumper, to "jumper down" the drive to SATA I, I'd use
that. But I don't think SSDs are "jumper down" material. Only a few
hard drives offer a jumper for that purpose.

3) Try an older port, with less fancy options, on the off chance
it'll detect the drive. For example, I might test the drive on
my old motherboard with ICH5R chip on it.

If the drive is detected by such experiments, you keep it.

If the drive is not detected, get your money back. Immediately. No "swaps".

I'm ****ed, having spent half the morning reviewing disk drives,
to only find *one* popular model that wasn't a complete piece of crap.
And it's not the size I want.

Doesn't anyone care about quality control any more ?

Why rush broken new stuff to market, if the old stuff
works properly and you can make customers happy with it ?

\rant off

Paul

Bill Anderson

On 6/27/2012 11:37 AM, Paul wrote:

> I'm ****ed, having spent half the morning reviewing disk drives,
> to only find *one* popular model that wasn't a complete piece of crap.
> And it's not the size I want.

My new Samsung 256 GB SATA III has been a super fantastic addition to my
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo (SATA II) setup for the past month. Worked perfectly
right out of the box and no hiccups since. I dunno what the coming
months will bring, but right now I couldn't be happier.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

FolkGT

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:36:35 -0400, Bill Anderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 6/27/2012 11:37 AM, Paul wrote:
>

>> I'm ****ed, having spent half the morning reviewing disk drives,
>> to only find *one* popular model that wasn't a complete piece of crap.
>> And it's not the size I want.
>>

>My new Samsung 256 GB SATA III has been a super fantastic addition to my
>Asus P5Q Pro Turbo (SATA II) setup for the past month. Worked perfectly
>right out of the box and no hiccups since. I dunno what the coming
>months will bring, but right now I couldn't be happier.

I can also recommend the Corsair Force Series GT. I've had the 128GB
model in use here since February with zero issues.

Homer Jay Simpson

"Tim Krupinski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

If the SSD isn't recognized during POST and in the UEFI BIOS Setup when you
have a SATA power connector plugged into the SSD and the SATA data cable
plugged into one of the light blue or grey SATA connectors on the
motherboard then you definitely have a dead SSD. This is, of course,
assuming that the SATA port that you have the SSD plugged into has been
enabled in the UEFI BIOS Setup.

It has nothing to do with AHCI being enabled or disabled.

Tim Krupinski

Definitely going to be looking into these suggestions, thanks! Second OCZ Petrol 128GB that I have received is confirmed DOA.

Clas Mehus

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My new Samsung 256 GB SATA III has been a super fantastic addition to my
>Asus P5Q Pro Turbo (SATA II) setup for the past month. Worked perfectly
>right out of the box and no hiccups since. I dunno what the coming
>months will bring, but right now I couldn't be happier.

At least with the prices here in Norway, the Samsung 830 is a very
good buy with 128GB capacity. Going up to 256 or 512 GB, the Crucial
m4 is tha one that gives best value.

--
Clas Mehus
- "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."

Adding SSD to 2012 mini Lewis Apple 15 02-07-2013 05:10 AM
Configuring a mSATA mini SSD + 1 SSD + 1 HDD on a GA-Z77-D3H Leachim Sredna Gigabyte 11 12-04-2012 06:01 AM
NCQ/AHCI and Win XP Prof Ulrich Zabe Asus 0 10-21-2005 09:17 AM
P5GD2 Premium IDE/SATA AHCI help? Anon Asus 1 06-05-2005 07:51 AM
AHCI or Standard IDE? Markie Asus 0 10-23-2004 08:01 AM