adding xvr-100 video card to Sun Blade 2000

Solarys

Help needed!! I just installed a xvr-100 video card in a Sun Blade
2000. I can not get video from the dvi connection. I can get video
from the hd-15 connection. I just purchased the system and it boots
to a Solaris 10 install. Is that part of the problem? What am I
doing wrong? Any/all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Solarys

Thomas Maier-Komor

Solarys schrieb:
> Help needed!! I just installed a xvr-100 video card in a Sun Blade
> 2000. I can not get video from the dvi connection. I can get video
> from the hd-15 connection. I just purchased the system and it boots
> to a Solaris 10 install. Is that part of the problem? What am I
> doing wrong? Any/all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.
>

> Solarys

IIRC, the dvi connector is unsupported by OBP. So you'll need to get to
the stage, when X gets started. But I don't know for sure, as I never
tried it myself...

- Thomas

Martin Paul

Solarys wrote:
> Help needed!! I just installed a xvr-100 video card in a Sun Blade
> 2000. I can not get video from the dvi connection. I can get video
> from the hd-15 connection.

As Thomas said, the DVI port cannot be used while the machine is in OBP
and before the X-Server comes up.

The X-Server uses the VGA port by default, too, so you must copy
/usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config and add "-dev /dev/fbs/pfb0b"
to the only non-comment line to make it use DVI instead.

I used to have TFTs with both a VGA and a DVI port, and connected both
the analog and the digital output to the monitor. Like that, you have
output both during bootup and later in X.

hth,

mp.
--
SysAdmin | Institute of Scientific Computing, University of Vienna
PCA | Analyze, download and install patches for Solaris
| http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/

Jeff Wieland

In article <49ad30e2$0$28520$(E-Mail Removed)> Martin Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Solarys wrote:
>> Help needed!! I just installed a xvr-100 video card in a Sun Blade
>> 2000. I can not get video from the dvi connection. I can get video
>> from the hd-15 connection.

>As Thomas said, the DVI port cannot be used while the machine is in OBP
>and before the X-Server comes up.
>
>The X-Server uses the VGA port by default, too, so you must copy
>/usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config and add "-dev /dev/fbs/pfb0b"
>to the only non-comment line to make it use DVI instead.
>
>I used to have TFTs with both a VGA and a DVI port, and connected both
>the analog and the digital output to the monitor. Like that, you have
>output both during bootup and later in X.
>
>hth,
>
>mp.

Or you can connect two monitors and use it in double-wide mode. You
enable that with:

# /usr/lib/fbconfig/SUNWpfb_config -doublewide enable

I usually enable the "fake8" mode for the couple of apps that I still
have around that need 8 bit pseudocolor (one really useless app is
WABI, which will run under Solaris 10 :-) ).

# /usr/lib/fbconfig/SUNWpfb_config -fake8 enable
--
Jeff Wieland

Solarys

On Mar 4, 9:27*am, Jeff Wieland <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <49ad30e2$0$28520$(E-Mail Removed)> Martin Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >Solarys wrote:
> >> Help needed!! *I just installed a xvr-100 video card in a Sun Blade
> >> 2000. *I can not get video from the dvi connection. *I can get video
> >> from the hd-15 connection.

> >As Thomas said, the DVI port cannot be used while the machine is in OBP
> >and before the X-Server comes up.

> >The X-Server uses the VGA port by default, too, so you must copy
> >/usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config and add "-dev /dev/fbs/pfb0b"
> >to the only non-comment line to make it use DVI instead.

> >I used to have TFTs with both a VGA and a DVI port, and connected both
> >the analog and the digital output to the monitor. Like that, you have
> >output both during bootup and later in X.

> >hth,

> >mp.

> Or you can connect two monitors and use it in double-wide mode. *You
> enable that with:
>
> # /usr/lib/fbconfig/SUNWpfb_config -doublewide enable
>
> I usually enable the "fake8" mode for the couple of apps that I still
> have around that need 8 bit pseudocolor (one really useless app is
> WABI, which will run under Solaris 10 :-) ).
>
> # /usr/lib/fbconfig/SUNWpfb_config -fake8 enable
> --
> Jeff Wieland- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for ur responses. I will take ur suggestions.

Solarys