Admin Priveleges

WelshGas

Hi, on my iMac running 10.8 I had an admin account which would not allow me
to pair an Apple Remote as I had insufficient admin privileges. I created a
2nd Admin account and when logged into that account I could pair the remote.

My question is, Does anyone know how I can fix the 1st account so that it
has full privileges. I am the only user of this machine and would prefer to
have just the one Admin account. I'm not that knowledgeable about IT matters
but I muddle through most problems but this has me stumped. I don't want to
delete the 1st Admin account as I have everything set as I want. Can I
migrate all the settings etc: to the 2nd account so that I could delete the
1st account that has the problem? If so, How?

Thanks for any insight or help with this problem.

--
Welsh Gas
Remove usual to reply direct.

Király

WelshGas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My question is, Does anyone know how I can fix the 1st account so that it
> has full privileges. I am the only user of this machine and would prefer to
> have just the one Admin account. I'm not that knowledgeable about IT matters
> but I muddle through most problems but this has me stumped. I don't want to
> delete the 1st Admin account as I have everything set as I want. Can I
> migrate all the settings etc: to the 2nd account so that I could delete the
> 1st account that has the problem? If so, How?
>
> Thanks for any insight or help with this problem.

I think it is best to just leave things as they are, taking the
additional step of removing admin privileges from your original user
account, and then continuing to use it as normal. You can still do all
admin tasks from that account, simply by entering the username/password
of the admin account when prompted. There is no need to log in to the
admin account.

Doing what I suggested is what Apple says to do in their security
configuration guidelines. They say to never use an admin account for any
task that cannot be done in a non-admin account, and to never use an
admin account for day-to-day work that isn't related to administering
the system. Apple even goes so far as to say to never browse the web or
check email while logged in to an admin account. It is an unnecessary
security risk.

Having a spare user account on your Mac can also save your bacon if
your primary user account gets borked and you can't log in, and is
usefuly for troubleshooting misbehaving apps.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

WelshGas

On 19/08/2012 15:17, in article k0qsic$8u3$(E-Mail Removed), "Király"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> WelshGas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> My question is, Does anyone know how I can fix the 1st account so that it
>> has full privileges. I am the only user of this machine and would prefer to
>> have just the one Admin account. I'm not that knowledgeable about IT matters
>> but I muddle through most problems but this has me stumped. I don't want to
>> delete the 1st Admin account as I have everything set as I want. Can I
>> migrate all the settings etc: to the 2nd account so that I could delete the
>> 1st account that has the problem? If so, How?
>>
>> Thanks for any insight or help with this problem.

> I think it is best to just leave things as they are, taking the
> additional step of removing admin privileges from your original user
> account, and then continuing to use it as normal. You can still do all
> admin tasks from that account, simply by entering the username/password
> of the admin account when prompted. There is no need to log in to the
> admin account.
>
> Doing what I suggested is what Apple says to do in their security
> configuration guidelines. They say to never use an admin account for any
> task that cannot be done in a non-admin account, and to never use an
> admin account for day-to-day work that isn't related to administering
> the system. Apple even goes so far as to say to never browse the web or
> check email while logged in to an admin account. It is an unnecessary
> security risk.
>
> Having a spare user account on your Mac can also save your bacon if
> your primary user account gets borked and you can't log in, and is
> usefuly for troubleshooting misbehaving apps.

Thanks for your advice. I have done as you suggested. Thanks.

--
Welsh Gas
Remove usual to reply direct.
paulatwoodsforddotcodotuk

Erik

In article <CC56979C.522CA%(E-Mail Removed)>,
WelshGas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi, on my iMac running 10.8 I had an admin account which would not allow me
> to pair an Apple Remote as I had insufficient admin privileges. I created a
> 2nd Admin account and when logged into that account I could pair the remote.
>
> My question is, Does anyone know how I can fix the 1st account so that it
> has full privileges. I am the only user of this machine and would prefer to
> have just the one Admin account. I'm not that knowledgeable about IT matters
> but I muddle through most problems but this has me stumped. I don't want to
> delete the 1st Admin account as I have everything set as I want. Can I
> migrate all the settings etc: to the 2nd account so that I could delete the
> 1st account that has the problem? If so, How?
>
> Thanks for any insight or help with this problem.

I don't have a remote, and might be all wet here, but take a look at
this.

From the Admin account in question, open 'Security & Privacy' within the
system prefs. Next click the 'General' tab, then the 'Advanced' box in
the lower RH corner.

Check to see if the fourth item is checked. It's labeled 'Disable remote
control infrared receiver'.

Good luck!

Erik

WelshGas

On 20/08/2012 02:24, in article
(E-Mail Removed), "Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> In article <CC56979C.522CA%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> WelshGas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi, on my iMac running 10.8 I had an admin account which would not allow me
>> to pair an Apple Remote as I had insufficient admin privileges. I created a
>> 2nd Admin account and when logged into that account I could pair the remote.
>>
>> My question is, Does anyone know how I can fix the 1st account so that it
>> has full privileges. I am the only user of this machine and would prefer to
>> have just the one Admin account. I'm not that knowledgeable about IT matters
>> but I muddle through most problems but this has me stumped. I don't want to
>> delete the 1st Admin account as I have everything set as I want. Can I
>> migrate all the settings etc: to the 2nd account so that I could delete the
>> 1st account that has the problem? If so, How?
>>
>> Thanks for any insight or help with this problem.

> I don't have a remote, and might be all wet here, but take a look at
> this.
>
> From the Admin account in question, open 'Security & Privacy' within the
> system prefs. Next click the 'General' tab, then the 'Advanced' box in
> the lower RH corner.
>
> Check to see if the fourth item is checked. It's labeled 'Disable remote
> control infrared receiver'.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Erik

Thanks for that tip Erik. I had already checked that. On the !st account
that function wasn't present but on the 2nd account it was. Anyway, it's
all sorted now, but thanks anyway.