Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Advice for Mounting CPU in Shuttle Mini

 
 
Magnusfarce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2004, 02:41 AM
I bought a Shuttle SK41G mini barebones system and am ready to build it up.
I posted a question on this news group about putting it together a week or
two ago. Someone ( I can't find the thread) offered some helpful advice
about getting the heatsink correctly mated to the cpu, and I was hoping to
follow up a bit on that.

I've got the Athlon 2000+ cpu (had to order it from NewEgg because stores
don't seem to carry it anymore). The news group poster suggested that I
should install the cpu without putting in the drives because it would
probably take several tries to get it to run without shutting down due to
heat. Is this a safe way to do it; in other words, does this trial and
error process harm the cpu in any way?

Without the drives, the system won't boot of course, so I guess I would just
watch the monitor and see if the system stays up for a while. How fast
should I expect the cpu overheat and shut down if it is inadequately
amounted? When I get it more or less properly mounted, i.e., it stays
running, is there a way to do a stress test without putting the rest of the
system together?

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Magnusfarce


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Conor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2004, 04:35 AM
In article Magnusfarce says...
> I bought a Shuttle SK41G mini barebones system and am ready to build it up.
> I posted a question on this news group about putting it together a week or
> two ago. Someone ( I can't find the thread) offered some helpful advice
> about getting the heatsink correctly mated to the cpu, and I was hoping to
> follow up a bit on that.
>
> I've got the Athlon 2000+ cpu (had to order it from NewEgg because stores
> don't seem to carry it anymore). The news group poster suggested that I
> should install the cpu without putting in the drives because it would
> probably take several tries to get it to run without shutting down due to
> heat. Is this a safe way to do it; in other words, does this trial and
> error process harm the cpu in any way?
>
> Without the drives, the system won't boot of course, so I guess I would just
> watch the monitor and see if the system stays up for a while. How fast
> should I expect the cpu overheat and shut down if it is inadequately
> amounted? When I get it more or less properly mounted, i.e., it stays
> running, is there a way to do a stress test without putting the rest of the
> system together?
>

Forget messing about running it without the drives in. Just build it
completely. If you need to remove the drives, it takes all of 30 seconds
to take out the drive cage with the HDD, floppy and CD/DVD in.


--
Conor

America: A democracy so successful, even the Ukranians copy it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Christo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2004, 07:20 PM

"Magnusfarce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I bought a Shuttle SK41G mini barebones system and am ready to build it up.
> I posted a question on this news group about putting it together a week or
> two ago. Someone ( I can't find the thread) offered some helpful advice
> about getting the heatsink correctly mated to the cpu, and I was hoping to
> follow up a bit on that.
>
> I've got the Athlon 2000+ cpu (had to order it from NewEgg because stores
> don't seem to carry it anymore). The news group poster suggested that I
> should install the cpu without putting in the drives because it would
> probably take several tries to get it to run without shutting down due to
> heat. Is this a safe way to do it; in other words, does this trial and
> error process harm the cpu in any way?
>
> Without the drives, the system won't boot of course, so I guess I would
> just
> watch the monitor and see if the system stays up for a while. How fast
> should I expect the cpu overheat and shut down if it is inadequately
> amounted? When I get it more or less properly mounted, i.e., it stays
> running, is there a way to do a stress test without putting the rest of
> the
> system together?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
>


I am not sure if you can do this with shuttle system because i am a shuttle
n00b

for me when i build full sized system fron scratch the first thing i do is
place the motherboard down on an anti-static hard surface and put the
CPU/heatsink on there before i mount the board in the system

if you can do this with your shuttle it would be easier, you can take the
board out by unscrewing the screws (not 100% sure about that on shuttles)

but the heatsink on, best to hook one side onto the clips on the side of the
socket

then allign it so it isnt touching the socket at any side (kneel down so you
are at eye level with the socket and check if it is touching it anywhere) if
it isnt, take a small screw driver, and there might be green plastic thing
on your heatsink if it is AMD stock, put the end of the screw driver into
the green plastic thing (so you dont get too enthusiastic and push too hard
and go straight through the motherboard) push down until you can hook the
unhooked side over the clips on the socket, once thats done you should be
fine to boot up

it should boot first time, try it with case open you you can clearly see the
fan is spinning

oh yeah i forgot to tell you...

on the motherboard there should be a 3 pin connector near the 462 pin socket
(socket A)

put the 3 pin connector from the fan on the heatsink into there... check the
fan is spinning when the pc powers up

power up with just the boot drive (for example: the hard drive)

as it could be a PSU issue and more devices mean more power being sucked
from the PSU (i highly doubt it is this though, but even so just to be 110%
sure)

it should boot first time if all is well if not maybe the CPU is DoA

as for stress test what do you mean, temperature of CPU?

if you press Delete when the computer is booting just hit it endlessly, you
should get into the BIOS, follow the menu through there to CPU/voltage, or
frequency settings it should give you a temperature readout of CPU there and
give you the speed of the fan etc etc.

you can even change the emergency shutdown temperature, (i reccomend 65 to
be sure of no damage at all) 70 is when you should be worrying, you should
never really go about 60 ever, unless you totally pound your CPU with some
hard ass gaming for 15 hours straight....

sorry if insulted your intelligence by suggesting some of the above, but
that covers it for anyone else reading who may have similar problem and isnt
as knowledgable as you or i may be,

good luck


Chris


 
Reply With Quote
 
Trev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2004, 10:20 PM
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:20:24 -0000, "Christo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> am not sure if you can do this with shuttle system because i am a shuttle
>n00b
>
>for me when i build full sized system fron scratch the first thing i do is
>place the motherboard down on an anti-static hard surface and put the
>CPU/heatsink on there before i mount the board in the system



Have you ever seen a Shuttle?
--

Trev (Milnrow, UK)
 
Reply With Quote
 
DB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2004, 12:21 AM

"Christo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Magnusfarce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I bought a Shuttle SK41G mini barebones system and am ready to build it
>>up.
>> I posted a question on this news group about putting it together a week
>> or
>> two ago. Someone ( I can't find the thread) offered some helpful advice
>> about getting the heatsink correctly mated to the cpu, and I was hoping
>> to
>> follow up a bit on that.
>>
>> I've got the Athlon 2000+ cpu (had to order it from NewEgg because stores
>> don't seem to carry it anymore). The news group poster suggested that I
>> should install the cpu without putting in the drives because it would
>> probably take several tries to get it to run without shutting down due to
>> heat. Is this a safe way to do it; in other words, does this trial and
>> error process harm the cpu in any way?
>>
>> Without the drives, the system won't boot of course, so I guess I would
>> just
>> watch the monitor and see if the system stays up for a while. How fast
>> should I expect the cpu overheat and shut down if it is inadequately
>> amounted? When I get it more or less properly mounted, i.e., it stays
>> running, is there a way to do a stress test without putting the rest of
>> the
>> system together?
>>
>> Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>> - Magnusfarce

One thing I learned is if you have the cooling pipe,make sure there is no
stress on the pipe assy when you mount the fan over the upper portion of it
as it tweaks the heatsink and causes immediate shutdown and the overheat led
lights

"D"


 
Reply With Quote
 
Christo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2004, 12:50 AM

"Trev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:20:24 -0000, "Christo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> am not sure if you can do this with shuttle system because i am a shuttle
>>n00b
>>
>>for me when i build full sized system fron scratch the first thing i do is
>>place the motherboard down on an anti-static hard surface and put the
>>CPU/heatsink on there before i mount the board in the system

>
>
> Have you ever seen a Shuttle?



haha yeah just now, sorry soorry sorry

i wasted my time writing that, heatpipe cooling

thats pretty dodgey, they are smaller than i thought, it must get pretty
darn hot inside there!!

all with a 200w PSU, crazy!!!!!

how can you do that AMD reccomend 400w PSU's for all ATX systems

man shuttles rule i want one so bad now! they are tiny i am here with a
brand new chieftec server sized case with 6 external 5.25 bays and 2 3.5
external bays and about 8 internal 3.5, the airflow is great, the space
rocks it looks a bit compact fitting a geforce 6800 in there, it would probs
get too hot!!

no where to put case fans?

and exhaust blower is a definate!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Conor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2004, 06:36 PM
In article Christo says...


> thats pretty dodgey, they are smaller than i thought, it must get pretty
> darn hot inside there!!
>

Nope. CPU 47C, chipset 52C on stock cooling.

> all with a 200w PSU, crazy!!!!!
>
> how can you do that AMD reccomend 400w PSU's for all ATX systems
>

You only need a 400W PSU to compensate for companies designing shitty
inefficent kit.


>
> no where to put case fans?
>

Why would you want to? Again, its only compensating for shitty design.

> and exhaust blower is a definate!
>

Why?




--
Conor

A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
hear him. Is he still wrong?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cooler mounting with no mounting holes Spacey Spade Overclocking 13 06-07-2006 02:57 AM
NF7-S: capacitors in the way of cpu waterblock mounting bracket cgmoore@icx.net Abit 2 11-07-2005 08:13 PM
GA-8IPE1000 Pro3 - CPU fan mounting holes? DevilsPGD Gigabyte 3 05-03-2005 12:56 PM
FA: Shuttle XPC Carry Bag, Shuttle XPC SB51G, 2.53ghz 1gb ram, 200gb hdd (UK) cybersoga Shuttle 0 01-17-2005 08:36 AM
Are Shuttle and MSI mini's Reliable ? Magnusfarce Shuttle 3 12-10-2004 01:30 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:30 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment