AF error in digidoc

chris

What does this error mean? Trying to build 9cjs system and get this...
no video either

Chaintechee

Chris,

There may be a POST error when trying to detect the presence of a video card. There is a BIOS setting for Primary Video Source in the Setup which specifies to look to the AGP slot or the PCI bus first. If you have no video, it may be set for one while you have the opposite.

If your BIOS is set for AGP but have a PCI video card installed, let the system try to boot. It will repeatedly reboot as it checks each slot in order for a video card. It may take 1 to 4 reboots to find it, depending on the slot in which it resides. If the opposite is true (set to PCI but you have AGP) it should eventually cycle through all of the PCI slots and hit AGP, but it may take up to 5 reboots. The setting just really tells the system which slot to start looking or video, at AGP or PCI 0.

An easier fix may be to use the CMOS reset jumper (JP1) located directly adjacent to the IDE controller port. It will then set the system back to its default, which is for AGP.

Note: If you do have A PCI video card as your primary, once the system finds it, it will remember its location until you chane the BIOS settings, so it may have to reboot a few times, but only until it finds it once. Then it should work as normal.

These are just guesses here, but based on a similar experience, this was the solution I found. AF is notably absent from the DigiDoc Error Code reference. : (

Technical Support may be able to help you by phone (inside the back cover of your manual), but this may help you get going before Monday.

Rotsa Ruck!

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> What does this error mean? Trying to build 9cjs system and get this...
> no video either

chris

Thanks for your input, at least now i know in what realm my problem
lies. I was guessing that it might be a memory problem...

I am using an AGP card, and since I have never made it past POST to
the setup for BIOS, I assume it should be set to look for an AGP card.

I have cleared CMOS but this hasnt changed anything.

I will reboot 5 more times to see if it helps...

"Chaintechee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<odVEb.3030$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Chris,
>
> There may be a POST error when trying to detect the presence of a video
> card. There is a BIOS setting for Primary Video Source in the Setup
> which specifies to look to the AGP slot or the PCI bus first. If you
> have no video, it may be set for one while you have the opposite.
>
> If your BIOS is set for AGP but have a PCI video card installed, let the
> system try to boot. It will repeatedly reboot as it checks each slot in
> order for a video card. It may take 1 to 4 reboots to find it,
> depending on the slot in which it resides. If the opposite is true (set
> to PCI but you have AGP) it should eventually cycle through all of the
> PCI slots and hit AGP, but it may take up to 5 reboots. The setting
> just really tells the system which slot to start looking or video, at
> AGP or PCI 0.
>
> An easier fix may be to use the CMOS reset jumper (JP1) located directly
> adjacent to the IDE controller port. It will then set the system back
> to its default, which is for AGP.
>
> Note: If you do have A PCI video card as your primary, once the system
> finds it, it will remember its location until you chane the BIOS
> settings, so it may have to reboot a few times, but only until it finds
> it once. Then it should work as normal.
>
> These are just guesses here, but based on a similar experience, this was
> the solution I found. AF is notably absent from the DigiDoc Error Code
> reference. : (
>
> Technical Support may be able to help you by phone (inside the back
> cover of your manual), but this may help you get going before Monday.
>
> Rotsa Ruck!
>
> "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > What does this error mean? Trying to build 9cjs system and get this...
> > no video either

> --

Ginchy

Are you using an ATI card? I couldnt get the 9cjs to boot with an ATI 32mb
DDR and someone said that there is a problem with ati cards and a lot of
chaintech boards.....I bought a TI4200 and it worked first time!

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Thanks for your input, at least now i know in what realm my problem
> lies. I was guessing that it might be a memory problem...
>
> I am using an AGP card, and since I have never made it past POST to
> the setup for BIOS, I assume it should be set to look for an AGP card.
>
> I have cleared CMOS but this hasnt changed anything.
>
> I will reboot 5 more times to see if it helps...
>
> "Chaintechee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<odVEb.3030$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Chris,
> >
> > There may be a POST error when trying to detect the presence of a video
> > card. There is a BIOS setting for Primary Video Source in the Setup
> > which specifies to look to the AGP slot or the PCI bus first. If you
> > have no video, it may be set for one while you have the opposite.
> >
> > If your BIOS is set for AGP but have a PCI video card installed, let the
> > system try to boot. It will repeatedly reboot as it checks each slot in
> > order for a video card. It may take 1 to 4 reboots to find it,
> > depending on the slot in which it resides. If the opposite is true (set
> > to PCI but you have AGP) it should eventually cycle through all of the
> > PCI slots and hit AGP, but it may take up to 5 reboots. The setting
> > just really tells the system which slot to start looking or video, at
> > AGP or PCI 0.
> >
> > An easier fix may be to use the CMOS reset jumper (JP1) located directly
> > adjacent to the IDE controller port. It will then set the system back
> > to its default, which is for AGP.
> >
> > Note: If you do have A PCI video card as your primary, once the system
> > finds it, it will remember its location until you chane the BIOS
> > settings, so it may have to reboot a few times, but only until it finds
> > it once. Then it should work as normal.
> >
> > These are just guesses here, but based on a similar experience, this was
> > the solution I found. AF is notably absent from the DigiDoc Error Code
> > reference. : (
> >
> > Technical Support may be able to help you by phone (inside the back
> > cover of your manual), but this may help you get going before Monday.
> >
> > Rotsa Ruck!
> >
> > "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > What does this error mean? Trying to build 9cjs system and get this...
> > > no video either

> > --

chris

no, its not an ATI, its a jaton geforce. this should be okay, right?

"Ginchy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bs4du5$uq$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Are you using an ATI card? I couldnt get the 9cjs to boot with an ATI 32mb
> DDR and someone said that there is a problem with ati cards and a lot of
> chaintech boards.....I bought a TI4200 and it worked first time!
>

> "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Thanks for your input, at least now i know in what realm my problem
> > lies. I was guessing that it might be a memory problem...
> >
> > I am using an AGP card, and since I have never made it past POST to
> > the setup for BIOS, I assume it should be set to look for an AGP card.
> >
> > I have cleared CMOS but this hasnt changed anything.
> >
> > I will reboot 5 more times to see if it helps...
> >
> > "Chaintechee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<odVEb.3030$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > Chris,
> > >
> > > There may be a POST error when trying to detect the presence of a video
> > > card. There is a BIOS setting for Primary Video Source in the Setup
> > > which specifies to look to the AGP slot or the PCI bus first. If you
> > > have no video, it may be set for one while you have the opposite.
> > >
> > > If your BIOS is set for AGP but have a PCI video card installed, let the
> > > system try to boot. It will repeatedly reboot as it checks each slot in
> > > order for a video card. It may take 1 to 4 reboots to find it,
> > > depending on the slot in which it resides. If the opposite is true (set
> > > to PCI but you have AGP) it should eventually cycle through all of the
> > > PCI slots and hit AGP, but it may take up to 5 reboots. The setting
> > > just really tells the system which slot to start looking or video, at
> > > AGP or PCI 0.
> > >
> > > An easier fix may be to use the CMOS reset jumper (JP1) located directly
> > > adjacent to the IDE controller port. It will then set the system back
> > > to its default, which is for AGP.
> > >
> > > Note: If you do have A PCI video card as your primary, once the system
> > > finds it, it will remember its location until you chane the BIOS
> > > settings, so it may have to reboot a few times, but only until it finds
> > > it once. Then it should work as normal.
> > >
> > > These are just guesses here, but based on a similar experience, this was
> > > the solution I found. AF is notably absent from the DigiDoc Error Code
> > > reference. : (
> > >
> > > Technical Support may be able to help you by phone (inside the back
> > > cover of your manual), but this may help you get going before Monday.
> > >
> > > Rotsa Ruck!
> > >
> > > "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > --

Ginchy

as long as its a 1.5v card and not a 3.3v then yes it should be but before
you assume the mb is faulty I would try another card.....I have found many
cards just wont work with some mb`s for some inexplicable reason!

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> no, its not an ATI, its a jaton geforce. this should be okay, right?
>
> "Ginchy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<bs4du5$uq$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Are you using an ATI card? I couldnt get the 9cjs to boot with an ATI

32mb
> > DDR and someone said that there is a problem with ati cards and a lot of
> > chaintech boards.....I bought a TI4200 and it worked first time!
> >

> > "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Thanks for your input, at least now i know in what realm my problem
> > > lies. I was guessing that it might be a memory problem...
> > >
> > > I am using an AGP card, and since I have never made it past POST to
> > > the setup for BIOS, I assume it should be set to look for an AGP card.
> > >
> > > I have cleared CMOS but this hasnt changed anything.
> > >
> > > I will reboot 5 more times to see if it helps...
> > >
> > > "Chaintechee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > news:<odVEb.3030$(E-Mail Removed)>...

video

you

the

slot in

(set

the

at

directly

back

system

finds

was

Code

Monday.

this...

chris

My vid card is 1.5v. but i really dont think its the video card or the
motherboard. i think its the memory, but i'd like to be sure before i
buy new sticks. my memory is pc2100 ddr which according to the board's
specs should be fine, but they are generic which makes me suspect
them. I wish i knew what an 'AF' error actually means. When the memory
is not in I get an 'E0' error. tech support emailed me and said there
was no documentation on these error codes and suggested that it was a
grounding problem...

"Ginchy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bs5a0d$mah$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> as long as its a 1.5v card and not a 3.3v then yes it should be but before
> you assume the mb is faulty I would try another card.....I have found many
> cards just wont work with some mb`s for some inexplicable reason!
>

> "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > no, its not an ATI, its a jaton geforce. this should be okay, right?
> >
> > "Ginchy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<bs4du5$uq$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > > Are you using an ATI card? I couldnt get the 9cjs to boot with an ATI

> 32mb
> > > DDR and someone said that there is a problem with ati cards and a lot of
> > > chaintech boards.....I bought a TI4200 and it worked first time!
> > >

> > > "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> news:<odVEb.3030$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> video

> you

> the

> slot in

> (set

> the

> at

> directly

> back

> system

> finds

> was

> Code

> Monday.

> this...

Ginchy

I too am using pc2100 memory....what puzzles me is that the clock speed for
this mem should be 133mhz but on boot up it says "memory clock 266mhz"

When I go into the bios is gives me AUTO or PC266 but SANDRA confirms that
my memory clock is too high.

SANDRA also says that my motherboard is running too hot but I cant find
anything wrong and cpu and system temps are around 27.

But the ram seems to work ok........it is cl2.5 but the board sets it at 3
and if I manually change it to cl2.5 I get BSOD on EXPLORER???

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> My vid card is 1.5v. but i really dont think its the video card or the
> motherboard. i think its the memory, but i'd like to be sure before i
> buy new sticks. my memory is pc2100 ddr which according to the board's
> specs should be fine, but they are generic which makes me suspect
> them. I wish i knew what an 'AF' error actually means. When the memory
> is not in I get an 'E0' error. tech support emailed me and said there
> was no documentation on these error codes and suggested that it was a
> grounding problem...
>

> "Ginchy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<bs5a0d$mah$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > as long as its a 1.5v card and not a 3.3v then yes it should be but

before
> > you assume the mb is faulty I would try another card.....I have found

many
> > cards just wont work with some mb`s for some inexplicable reason!
> >

> > "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > > no, its not an ATI, its a jaton geforce. this should be okay, right?
> > >
> > > "Ginchy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > news:<bs4du5$uq$(E-Mail Removed)>...

ATI
> > 32mb

lot of

problem

card.

> > news:<odVEb.3030$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> > video

Setup

If
> > you

opposite.

let
> > the

> > slot in

true
> > (set

of
> > the

setting

video,
> > at

> > directly

system
> > back

> > system

it
> > finds

this
> > was

Error
> > Code

back

> > Monday.

> > this...

chris

I bought new memory and guess what... that was the problem. Ginchy and
Chaintechee thanks for your input. Well at least this chapter of the
progect is complete. I hope I dont have to trouble you guys any more
(or tech support for that matter), so im keeping my fingers
crossed....