after 5 yrs my 8KHA+ won't boot?

finding z0

Don't see any bulging capacitors.
It gets to dmi devices then hangs.
once or twice it made it to "successful", then hung there.
Previous to this and even now occassionally, it wouldn't post beyond a
high lo beep and shut down.
Previous to this I left my ipod connected with an aftermarket data/sync
cable that would occassionally hang the system.
I reconnected my backup drive and it booted a couple of times. Now,
even it won't boot.
This is with "FF' on the MB led.
I reseated my ram.
It sees my HD but won't boot.
If remove my video card where do I connect my monitor? No place else
fits?
I have this olde GW box that still runs, or this message would be
blank. I was sooooo just rediscovering my other rig and what fun 2 free
weeks of Rhapsody could be.
Any rational suggestions?

finding z0

of course it just may be the cpu...ath 2400xp

Mattrixx

"finding z0" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> of course it just may be the cpu...ath 2400xp

I have the same Epox8KHA+ and still running strong (knock on wood)!
I did have an XP2400+ cpu go bad on me after I tried to place a thermal
probe near the core. I had done this previously on a different computer and
it worked out quite well.
Anyway, this time something I did or didn`t do... fried the cpu.

Now to the point!
The computer wouldn`t boot up! What I got when I boot was : *NOTHING*.. but
fans spinning, no video, no beeps, no POST, and that Epox troubleshooting
led on the board, never *moving* through its normal routine, but staying put
at it`s initial *FF* which
translates as Boot attempt.
It seems as though your situation doesnt quite resemble my fried XP2400+
situation which might mean in your case, it isnt necessarilly a bad XP2400+
afterall!!

Pull everything (including Video card) except RAM, and see if it will
*cycle* through the led combinations....and *then* finally end up at FF !!
This would occur *before* any POST and should eliminate the cpu as the
problem.
Try shuffling your RAM sticks with just one stick at a time, and then try
different single slots with one (known good) stick to eliminate a possible
bad RAM slot.

Hope this helps?
Matt

finding z0

Thanks man!
I believe most times the led cycles b4 hitting "FF".
I do occassionally get an immediate hi-lo beep and instant shutdown, in
place of the single successful post beep. I thought that might mean a
bad hardware part. I will try the HW dance though, at least withthe
Mushkin RAM. Until your reply, i felt soooooo alone...... r u himmm
that was foretold.......

DaveL

It sounds like your hard drive went bad. Try booting with a boot floppy.
Or disconnect all hard drives and then what do you get? You should get an
error message. You can also try removing all cards except video as one of
them could be loading down the pci bus and consequently the ide channels.
Don't remove the video card just yet. And what Matrix says is not correct.
Without a video card the led display will never make it to FF. Instead it
will probably stop at somewhere around 23 as it will not be able to locate
the video bios. The speaker will likely emit one long beep and two short.
The cpu is not bad because if it was you would get nothing.

DaveL

"finding z0" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Don't see any bulging capacitors.
> It gets to dmi devices then hangs.
> once or twice it made it to "successful", then hung there.
> Previous to this and even now occassionally, it wouldn't post beyond a
> high lo beep and shut down.
> Previous to this I left my ipod connected with an aftermarket data/sync
> cable that would occassionally hang the system.
> I reconnected my backup drive and it booted a couple of times. Now,
> even it won't boot.
> This is with "FF' on the MB led.
> I reseated my ram.
> It sees my HD but won't boot.
> If remove my video card where do I connect my monitor? No place else
> fits?
> I have this olde GW box that still runs, or this message would be
> blank. I was sooooo just rediscovering my other rig and what fun 2 free
> weeks of Rhapsody could be.
> Any rational suggestions?

finding z0

I had another HD (win98se) in the sys (disconnected as backup). I made
it master and was able to boot a few times with this drive, but now it
only hangs at the same spot. I thought i saw 2 ide controllers in
device manager with "!" in front of them. I did a bad. I tried to boot
the primary winxp drive with a win98se floppy and allowed it to make
changes to the boot sector (if in fact it did). I don't know if Windows
can hurt itself. Think of the "Prime Directive."Don't know if it did
anything hurtful. That shouldn't have affected the win98se drive
though. It does suggest that it's something other than the HD's, ay? I
will try your suggestions tonight. I will keep u posted if you want.
Thanks guys!

p.s. must be all those Rhapsody music store tunes I've been
streaming/copying......

Graham W

finding z0 wrote:
> Thanks man!
> I believe most times the led cycles b4 hitting "FF".
> I do occassionally get an immediate hi-lo beep and instant shutdown,
> in place of the single successful post beep. I thought that might
> mean a bad hardware part. I will try the HW dance though, at least
> withthe Mushkin RAM. Until your reply, i felt soooooo alone...... r u
> himmm that was foretold.......

The hi-lo beep is due to the temperature alarm in the BIOS
thinking that the perceived temperature of the CPU is over
the trip value. Have a look in there and see what the warning
and shut-down temps are set at.

HTH

finding z0

i set that temp at about 63degC. It never goes above 47-52degC

finding z0

I tried booting the win98se drive to a floppy and it got to a naked
prompt. Didn't try to type anything like A: Thought it should have
given me some options. Or it may just be frozen. Disconnected the HD
and got the error message to boot from a CD as the boot drive was
(bad,evil, not there, corrupted, can't remember). Moved the ram around.
It recognized it wherever i put it. Tried to boot with one stik in
different slots, no change. I removed each pci card and tried to boot.
No change. I did this one card at a time, then replaced it. Didn't take
them all out at once. I was afraid I'd forget where they came from.
The led does a complete cycle b4 it gets to FF (i.e. working its way up
the alphanumeric stairway). Most times. I took out the main Winxp drive
to get a buddy to try and boot it but he said he'd look at it to see if
it's readable, but not try to use it to boot because it could mess up
his rig (he does PC repair as a retired avocation). It the MB were
trashed would the LED cycle so nicely? I wonder if it's my mildy O'c'd
cpu ath 2400xp running at 16x (2.1G) partially failing?

Mattrixx

"finding z0" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I tried booting the win98se drive to a floppy and it got to a naked
> prompt. Didn't try to type anything like A: Thought it should have
> given me some options. Or it may just be frozen. Disconnected the HD
> and got the error message to boot from a CD as the boot drive was
> (bad,evil, not there, corrupted, can't remember). Moved the ram around.
> It recognized it wherever i put it. Tried to boot with one stik in
> different slots, no change. I removed each pci card and tried to boot.
> No change. I did this one card at a time, then replaced it. Didn't take
> them all out at once. I was afraid I'd forget where they came from.
> The led does a complete cycle b4 it gets to FF (i.e. working its way up
> the alphanumeric stairway). Most times. I took out the main Winxp drive
> to get a buddy to try and boot it but he said he'd look at it to see if
> it's readable, but not try to use it to boot because it could mess up
> his rig (he does PC repair as a retired avocation). It the MB were
> trashed would the LED cycle so nicely? I wonder if it's my mildy O'c'd
> cpu ath 2400xp running at 16x (2.1G) partially failing?

Sounds like your RAM, MB and CPU are OK??

Too bad you dont have a Knoppix (Linux) disc to try and boot from.
This would NOT have to be installed as such, but rather it would create a
"virtual drive"
using existing RAM along with the Knoppix disc. Make sure you have set your
boot order to boot *first* from the CD/DVD drive with the Knoppix disc, and
*if* all your hardware is good, this will boot up just fine without any
HDD!! In fact, Knoppix could be used to retrieve any data from your HDD even
if the *bad* HDD wont boot!

As for your "mild overclocking" ...Have you tried to boot after *re-setting*
your BIOS
with the "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" option?

Matt