Dylan C

With Windows Vista on the horizon I'm looking at upgrading to a DX9
video card. Right now I use a GeForce3 Ti200 and I am thinking of
putting in a GeForce 6xxx. I'd like some input on which cards in this
series are decent performers. A few months ago I purchased an FX5200 for
a second machine and was surprised at how poorly it performed compared
to my Ti200. I'd rather not be similarly surprised when I buy my next card.

Thanks for the input.

-Dylan C

Dylan C

Dylan C wrote:
> With Windows Vista on the horizon I'm looking at upgrading to a DX9
> video card. Right now I use a GeForce3 Ti200 and I am thinking of
> putting in a GeForce 6xxx. I'd like some input on which cards in this
> series are decent performers. A few months ago I purchased an FX5200 for
> a second machine and was surprised at how poorly it performed compared
> to my Ti200. I'd rather not be similarly surprised when I buy my next
> card.
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> -Dylan C

I'd like to keep the price under $75, meaning that some nVidia 7000
series cards are in the budget. Any feedback on these?

-Dylan C

Bill

says...
> Dylan C wrote:
> > With Windows Vista on the horizon I'm looking at upgrading to a DX9
> > video card. Right now I use a GeForce3 Ti200 and I am thinking of
> > putting in a GeForce 6xxx. I'd like some input on which cards in this
> > series are decent performers. A few months ago I purchased an FX5200 for
> > a second machine and was surprised at how poorly it performed compared
> > to my Ti200. I'd rather not be similarly surprised when I buy my next
> > card.
> >
> > Thanks for the input.
> >
> > -Dylan C

> I'd like to keep the price under $75, meaning that some nVidia 7000
> series cards are in the budget. Any feedback on these?
>
> -Dylan C

You've seen Nvidia 7XXX AGP cards for under $75.00? Where?

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Dylan C

Bill wrote:
> says...
>
>>Dylan C wrote:
>>
>>>With Windows Vista on the horizon I'm looking at upgrading to a DX9
>>>video card. Right now I use a GeForce3 Ti200 and I am thinking of
>>>putting in a GeForce 6xxx. I'd like some input on which cards in this
>>>series are decent performers. A few months ago I purchased an FX5200 for
>>>a second machine and was surprised at how poorly it performed compared
>>>to my Ti200. I'd rather not be similarly surprised when I buy my next
>>>card.
>>>
>>>Thanks for the input.
>>>
>>>-Dylan C

>>I'd like to keep the price under $75, meaning that some nVidia 7000
>>series cards are in the budget. Any feedback on these?
>>
>>-Dylan C
>>

> You've seen Nvidia 7XXX AGP cards for under $75.00? Where?
>
> Bill

Newegg.com....
7 cards under $50 and 22 between $50 and $75. Looks like all 7300LE and
GS models.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...n=&srchInDesc=

-Dylan C

cosmo_kramer1@rocketmail.com

Dylan C wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...

> >>I'd like to keep the price under $75, meaning that some nVidia 7000
> >>series cards are in the budget. Any feedback on these?
> >>
> >>-Dylan C
> >>

> > You've seen Nvidia 7XXX AGP cards for under $75.00? Where?
> >
> > Bill

> Newegg.com....
> 7 cards under $50 and 22 between $50 and $75. Looks like all 7300LE and
> GS models.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...n=&srchInDesc=
>
> -Dylan C

Your not going to be happy with the performance of a $75 AGP card.
Spend a bit more and get at least a 6600GT (Haven't checked in a while
but I'm guessing you can get one for little more than $100). You
didn't say what you intend to do with the card (gaming, basic web
browsing, etc), so I really can't say how much card you need. Today, I
can't see buying less than a 6800GS/GT or a 7600 series card if you are
going to do any DX9 gaming at all.

Zadok

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:48:06 -0500, Dylan C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>With Windows Vista on the horizon I'm looking at upgrading to a DX9
>video card. Right now I use a GeForce3 Ti200 and I am thinking of
>putting in a GeForce 6xxx. I'd like some input on which cards in this
>series are decent performers. A few months ago I purchased an FX5200 for
>a second machine and was surprised at how poorly it performed compared
>to my Ti200. I'd rather not be similarly surprised when I buy my next card.
>
>Thanks for the input.
>
>-Dylan C

Did you mention what CPU and ram you have? These factors weigh in
also.

-- Zadok

Dylan C

Zadok wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:48:06 -0500, Dylan C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>With Windows Vista on the horizon I'm looking at upgrading to a DX9
>>video card. Right now I use a GeForce3 Ti200 and I am thinking of
>>putting in a GeForce 6xxx. I'd like some input on which cards in this
>>series are decent performers. A few months ago I purchased an FX5200 for
>>a second machine and was surprised at how poorly it performed compared
>>to my Ti200. I'd rather not be similarly surprised when I buy my next card.
>>
>>Thanks for the input.
>>
>>-Dylan C

> Did you mention what CPU and ram you have? These factors weigh in
> also.
>
> -- Zadok

I have an X2 3800+ running at 2.4 GHz and currently 512Mb of RAM. I
plan on adding an additional 1Gb of memory before upgrading the video.

-Dylan C

Dylan C

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Dylan C wrote:
>
>>Bill wrote:
>>
>>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>>>says...

>>> You've seen Nvidia 7XXX AGP cards for under $75.00? Where?
>>>
>>> Bill

>>Newegg.com....
>>7 cards under $50 and 22 between $50 and $75. Looks like all 7300LE and
>>GS models.
>>
>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...n=&srchInDesc=
>>
>>-Dylan C

> Your not going to be happy with the performance of a $75 AGP card.
> Spend a bit more and get at least a 6600GT (Haven't checked in a while
> but I'm guessing you can get one for little more than $100). You
> didn't say what you intend to do with the card (gaming, basic web
> browsing, etc), so I really can't say how much card you need. Today, I
> can't see buying less than a 6800GS/GT or a 7600 series card if you are
> going to do any DX9 gaming at all.

Currently, I'm perfectly happy with my Ti200 worth about $10-$20 on
ebay. I'd like something comparable in performance only with DX9
capabilities because Windows Vista requires it for Aero. Gaming is
really not a deciding factor, the machine is basically a desktop rig.

-Dylan C

Dylan C

Dylan C wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> says...

>>> I'd like to keep the price under $75, meaning that some nVidia 7000
>>> series cards are in the budget. Any feedback on these?
>>>
>>> -Dylan C
>>>

>> You've seen Nvidia 7XXX AGP cards for under $75.00? Where?
>>
>> Bill

> Newegg.com....
> 7 cards under $50 and 22 between $50 and $75. Looks like all 7300LE and
> GS models.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...n=&srchInDesc=
>

> -Dylan C

Nevermind...all PCIe....

-Dylan C

Bill

says...
<snip>

> >> You've seen Nvidia 7XXX AGP cards for under $75.00? Where?
> >>
> >> Bill

> > Newegg.com....
> > 7 cards under $50 and 22 between $50 and $75. Looks like all 7300LE and
> > GS models.
> >
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...n=&srchInDesc=
> >

> > -Dylan C

> Nevermind...all PCIe....
>
> -Dylan C

Yes, that is what I saw before I asked the question. I thought maybe
you had seen another source somewhere. That puts you down into the 6xxx
realm for under $75.00 or raising your budget.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.