AGPVideocard vs. Harddisk on Asrock mainboard

Alex Schwarzer

Hi Folks,

weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be corrupt.
So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I would
have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Specs

Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
installed
512 MB
Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

PB

Did you disable the onboard video in the BIOS setup?

Do you need to make a (* choke *) jumper setting on the motherboard?

DD

"Alex Schwarzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:402b3f11$0$13030$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
> onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
> be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be

corrupt.
> So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I

would
> have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
> conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance
>

> Specs
>
> Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
> installed
> 512 MB
> Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
> HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

Dark Avenger

"Alex Schwarzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<402b3f11$0$13030$(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> Hi Folks,
>
> weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
> onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
> be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be corrupt.
> So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I would
> have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
> conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance
>

> Specs
>
> Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
> installed
> 512 MB
> Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
> HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

What is your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) it might not supply enough juice!

Alex Schwarzer

"Dark Avenger" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "4H
>
> What is your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) it might not supply enough juice!

Hi, Avenger,

I replaced the PSU with no result. the old and the new one supply 300 W. I
guess thats far enough for 2 HDs, 1 LAN-card and a videocard like a
oldfashioned Gforce 4 mx 400, which shouldn't be that thirsty. Well I
finally think I got a mainboard with a major misfunction. alex

Alex Schwarzer

"PB" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:ymOWb.271$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did you disable the onboard video in the BIOS setup?
>
> Do you need to make a (* choke *) jumper setting on the motherboard?
>
> DD

Yes, I disabled the onboard video; no, theres no jumper setting needed on my
asrock GPro.

Darthy

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:53:50 +0100, "Alex Schwarzer"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
>onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
>be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be corrupt.
>So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I would
>have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
>conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
>Thanks in advance
>

>Specs
>
>Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
>installed
>512 MB
>Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
>HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

ASROCK makes piece of **** motherboards... (They are re-packaged
ECS/PC Chips board sold under the sub of ASUS).

replace board with something that works.

$60 buys a KT400 or KT600 mobo...

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Dark Avenger

"Alex Schwarzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<402c090b$0$27012$(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> "Dark Avenger" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > "4H
> >
> > What is your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) it might not supply enough juice!

> Hi, Avenger,
>
> I replaced the PSU with no result. the old and the new one supply 300 W. I
> guess thats far enough for 2 HDs, 1 LAN-card and a videocard like a
> oldfashioned Gforce 4 mx 400, which shouldn't be that thirsty. Well I
> finally think I got a mainboard with a major misfunction. alex

Well even a cheapo 300W should be able to run that, unless ofcourse
you heavily overclock your processor.

I guess that it might indeed be your motherboard....