Airport Express interference from cordless phone

magdalena

I'm helping a friend solve periodic disconnect problem with her Airport
Express and DSL. I've heard about cordless phone interference with
AExpress. Is the issue the phone's base station or the actual phone.
IOW, if my friend plugs the phone's base far away from the AE but keeps
the phone itself in the office that has the AE plugged into the wall,
the interference problem will go away?

Tom Stiller

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
magdalena <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm helping a friend solve periodic disconnect problem with her Airport
> Express and DSL. I've heard about cordless phone interference with
> AExpress. Is the issue the phone's base station or the actual phone.
> IOW, if my friend plugs the phone's base far away from the AE but keeps
> the phone itself in the office that has the AE plugged into the wall,
> the interference problem will go away?

It might, if the phone is a listen-only device. However, if the phone
is a normal two-way device, there is a transmitter in he handset as well
as in the base station.

Your friend might try setting the base station to use a different
channel or replacing the phone with one that operates in a diferent
frequency band.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

David Empson

magdalena <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm helping a friend solve periodic disconnect problem with her Airport
> Express and DSL. I've heard about cordless phone interference with
> AExpress. Is the issue the phone's base station or the actual phone.
> IOW, if my friend plugs the phone's base far away from the AE but keeps
> the phone itself in the office that has the AE plugged into the wall,
> the interference problem will go away?

The problem is due to the phone using the same frequency band as the
Airport. Assuming you can both talk and listen on the handset, then both
it and the base station will be transmitting on the same frequency, so
proximity of either the handset or the phone base station to either the
Airport Express or any computer using it wirelessly may interfere with
the wireless network.

Have you established that the problem is definitely related to the
cordless phone? If the disconnect happens quite often, it should be
possible to prove it is the phone's fault by turning off the cordless
phone system for a while (both base station and handset) and confirming
that the problem only occurs while the cordless phone is switched on
and/or actively on a call.

You might be getting interference from neighbours also using devices in
the same frequency band. You might also be getting random dropouts due
to poor signal or the type of building material or large metal objects
in the area of the wireless network.

Assuming you have proved that your friend's cordless phone is the cause,
there are three possible solutions:

(a) The phone might have a setting to select a different channel within
the 2.4 GHz band. If so, moving it a reasonable distance from the
channel used by the Airport Express may solve the problem (but might
interfere with another wireless device nearby, e.g. if you neighbour
also has a cordless phone or a wireless network).

(b) The Airport Express can also be set to use a different channel. It
defaults to "Automatic", which probably means that it uses channel 1.
You can set a specific channel: try 6 or 11. This is done using Airport
Admin Utility, which is located in the Utilities folder within the
Applications folder. You may run into a similar problem getting
interference from other nearby cordless phones or wireless networks.

(c) Replace the cordless phone with another model or brand, preferably
one which uses a different frequency band. In New Zealand we can buy
phones that operate on the 1.8, 2.4 or 5.8 GHz bands but I'm not sure
what you have in the US. The one that can interfere with an Airport
network is 2.4 GHz, so pick either of the others. Judging from the
phones available here, 5.8 claims to have longer range and better voice
quality, but costs more.
--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Tim McNamara

In article <1hrz61c.1tusw6l1wby9luN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> (c) Replace the cordless phone with another model or brand,
> preferably one which uses a different frequency band. In New Zealand
> we can buy phones that operate on the 1.8, 2.4 or 5.8 GHz bands but
> I'm not sure what you have in the US.

Yes.

Ilgaz Ícal

On 2007-01-15 00:08:52 +0200, Tim McNamara <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> In article <1hrz61c.1tusw6l1wby9luN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>
>> (c) Replace the cordless phone with another model or brand, preferably
>> one which uses a different frequency band. In New Zealand we can buy
>> phones that operate on the 1.8, 2.4 or 5.8 GHz bands but I'm not sure
>> what you have in the US.

> Yes.

Are they selling DECT/GAP phones in USA? It is 1800 Mhz and GSM like
standard which even allows chaining, using different headsets and
receivers with good security.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECT

Ilgaz

Matthew T. Russotto

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ilgaz_=D6cal?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 2007-01-15 00:08:52 +0200, Tim McNamara <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> In article <1hrz61c.1tusw6l1wby9luN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>>
>>> (c) Replace the cordless phone with another model or brand, preferably
>>> one which uses a different frequency band. In New Zealand we can buy
>>> phones that operate on the 1.8, 2.4 or 5.8 GHz bands but I'm not sure
>>> what you have in the US.

>> Yes.

>Are they selling DECT/GAP phones in USA?

The frequencies used for DECT are not available in the US. There's a
few proprietary 2.4Ghz DECT-alikes, and there's also something new called
"DECT 6.0" (which is a version of DECT at 1900Mhz), but I don't know
if there are any DECT 6.0 phones yet.

Currently US cordless phones use 900Mhz, 2.4Ghz, and 5.8Ghz. For some
reason people think the higher frequencies are better, but it ain't
so. Anything but 2.4Ghz is best for 802.11b/g/n users. Or switch
your WiFi to 802.11a and use the 5.2Ghz band where phones don't live.
But don't do it in my area :-).
result in a fully-depreciated one.

magdalena

In article <1hrz61c.1tusw6l1wby9luN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> magdalena <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I'm helping a friend solve periodic disconnect problem with her Airport
> > Express and DSL. I've heard about cordless phone interference with
> > AExpress. Is the issue the phone's base station or the actual phone.
> > IOW, if my friend plugs the phone's base far away from the AE but keeps
> > the phone itself in the office that has the AE plugged into the wall,
> > the interference problem will go away?

> The problem is due to the phone using the same frequency band as the
> Airport. Assuming you can both talk and listen on the handset, then both
> it and the base station will be transmitting on the same frequency, so
> proximity of either the handset or the phone base station to either the
> Airport Express or any computer using it wirelessly may interfere with
> the wireless network.
>
> Have you established that the problem is definitely related to the
> cordless phone? If the disconnect happens quite often, it should be
> possible to prove it is the phone's fault by turning off the cordless
> phone system for a while (both base station and handset) and confirming
> that the problem only occurs while the cordless phone is switched on
> and/or actively on a call.
>
> You might be getting interference from neighbours also using devices in
> the same frequency band. You might also be getting random dropouts due
> to poor signal or the type of building material or large metal objects
> in the area of the wireless network.
>
> Assuming you have proved that your friend's cordless phone is the cause,
> there are three possible solutions:
>
> (a) The phone might have a setting to select a different channel within
> the 2.4 GHz band. If so, moving it a reasonable distance from the
> channel used by the Airport Express may solve the problem (but might
> interfere with another wireless device nearby, e.g. if you neighbour
> also has a cordless phone or a wireless network).
>
> (b) The Airport Express can also be set to use a different channel. It
> defaults to "Automatic", which probably means that it uses channel 1.
> You can set a specific channel: try 6 or 11. This is done using Airport
> Admin Utility, which is located in the Utilities folder within the
> Applications folder. You may run into a similar problem getting
> interference from other nearby cordless phones or wireless networks.
>
> (c) Replace the cordless phone with another model or brand, preferably
> one which uses a different frequency band. In New Zealand we can buy
> phones that operate on the 1.8, 2.4 or 5.8 GHz bands but I'm not sure
> what you have in the US. The one that can interfere with an Airport
> network is 2.4 GHz, so pick either of the others. Judging from the
> phones available here, 5.8 claims to have longer range and better voice
> quality, but costs more.

If we determine that the phone is the culprit, and she decides to get a
new, higher frequency phone, does she only need to replace the one
that's near the Airport Express? Or does she also need to replace the
one in her kitchen, which is two rooms away from the Airport Express?

larwe

magdalena wrote:
> I'm helping a friend solve periodic disconnect problem with her Airport
> Express and DSL. I've heard about cordless phone interference with
> AExpress. Is the issue the phone's base station or the actual phone.

Microwave ovens are also a problem. During lunch hour, my entire area
of the office goes black - Wifi unavailable. My cube is right next to
the kitchen area

David Empson

magdalena <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1hrz61c.1tusw6l1wby9luN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>
> > magdalena <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm helping a friend solve periodic disconnect problem with her Airport
> > > Express and DSL. I've heard about cordless phone interference with
> > > AExpress. Is the issue the phone's base station or the actual phone.
> > > IOW, if my friend plugs the phone's base far away from the AE but keeps
> > > the phone itself in the office that has the AE plugged into the wall,
> > > the interference problem will go away?

> > The problem is due to the phone using the same frequency band as the
> > Airport. Assuming you can both talk and listen on the handset, then both
> > it and the base station will be transmitting on the same frequency, so
> > proximity of either the handset or the phone base station to either the
> > Airport Express or any computer using it wirelessly may interfere with
> > the wireless network.
> > [snip]

> If we determine that the phone is the culprit, and she decides to get a
> new, higher frequency phone, does she only need to replace the one
> that's near the Airport Express? Or does she also need to replace the
> one in her kitchen, which is two rooms away from the Airport Express?

It also depends on where the computer is located. If it is in the
opposite direction from the kitchen then this combination might be OK,
but I expect you will still get interference between the phone base
station, cordless phone and Airport Express.

Depending on the construction of the walls, two rooms isn't very far for
Airport. I get a good signal from my Airport Extreme base station
through two wooden and plaster walls, and a reasonably good signal
through the floor below that point as well.

Also of note: if you get a 5.8 GHz phone and still have a 2.4 GHz one,
both phones will need their own base station plugged into the telephone
line, rather than being able to share a single base station for the
entire system, and it might be difficult or impossible to do things like
transfer calls between handsets. It would be better to get a complete
set of new phones.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

matt neuburg

magdalena <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm helping a friend solve periodic disconnect problem with her Airport
> Express and DSL. I've heard about cordless phone interference with
> AExpress. Is the issue the phone's base station or the actual phone.
> IOW, if my friend plugs the phone's base far away from the AE but keeps
> the phone itself in the office that has the AE plugged into the wall,
> the interference problem will go away?

I don't know about the Airport, but if I set my actual cordless phone
next to my Logitech cordless mouse, the mouse stops working. So in this
case it matters where you put the phone itself. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = (E-Mail Removed), http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
Tiger - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/tiger-customizing.html