AK77-600 Series Boards and Memory Recommendations

Phaetos

I am considering getting one of the AK77-600 series baords, seems they
can be found fairly cheap these days. That means I have to change my
memory out. I don't want to get some no-name cheap DDR memory for this
build. I have heard that it is best to get matched sets of sticks.
What is meant by this exactly and what is your thoughts on this
subject? I am going to stay away from Kingston, haven't been hearing
much good things about thier sticks lately. I was considering Corsair
or Mushkin, maybe Viking. Any recommendations? I to keep it reliable
and fairly inexpensive if possible.

Phaetos

Roger M

Phaetos wrote:

> I am considering getting one of the AK77-600 series baords, seems they
> can be found fairly cheap these days. That means I have to change my
> memory out. I don't want to get some no-name cheap DDR memory for this
> build. I have heard that it is best to get matched sets of sticks.
> What is meant by this exactly and what is your thoughts on this
> subject? I am going to stay away from Kingston, haven't been hearing
> much good things about thier sticks lately. I was considering Corsair
> or Mushkin, maybe Viking. Any recommendations? I to keep it reliable
> and fairly inexpensive if possible.
>
> Phaetos

Kingston Value Ram works well for me and is fairly inexpensive. I haven't
had any problems with Kingston and I have 10 sticks of varying models of
it in 5 different machines. Stay away if you will but it does have a
lifetime warranty.

Roger

"Phaetos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am considering getting one of the AK77-600 series baords, seems they
> can be found fairly cheap these days. That means I have to change my
> memory out. I don't want to get some no-name cheap DDR memory for this
> build. I have heard that it is best to get matched sets of sticks.
> What is meant by this exactly and what is your thoughts on this
> subject? I am going to stay away from Kingston, haven't been hearing
> much good things about thier sticks lately. I was considering Corsair
> or Mushkin, maybe Viking. Any recommendations? I to keep it reliable
> and fairly inexpensive if possible.
>

> Phaetos

I use Crucial and Mushkin in all my systems I build with no troubles.

Chris

Michael J. Apollyon

Phaetos,

The AK77-600, based on VIA's KT600 chipset, does not support
dual channel memory. It is not necessary to have a matched
pair of DIMMs.

Nystagmus

"Michael J. Apollyon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:PL7yb.15519$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Phaetos,
>
> The AK77-600, based on VIA's KT600 chipset, does not support
> dual channel memory. It is not necessary to have a matched
> pair of DIMMs.

I use Apacer PC3200 with my AK79G Max. Apacer memory is AFAIK owned by Acer
as is AOpen. Don't have a problem. I don't OC either.

And I concur with Phaetos, you don't need to purchase a set of matched RAM
for the AK77-600 as the VIA chipset does not support dual channel.

Nystagmus