Bob H

Anyone have any criticism or praise?

Wondering if this board has enough over clocking tweaks in bios.

Does it perform?

What are its shortcomings?

Is there a better board for similar money?

Difficult to find a review of this board, so hard to tell if it's a dog...

TIA!

Michael H.

Bob, I just bought one last week and am saving up $$ for a Barton 2500. I
have a Tbred 2000 but think it best to just wait two weeks and drop the
Barton in rather than swap out the 2000. The Asus website reports on the
overclocking of each board and they were able to get 200 FSB easily and
stable out of the AK79G and Max boards, so since this board is based on the
same chipset and components, I would expect no less. Check back with me
shortly as I am currently modding my case and will post results on my
website.

"Bob H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hC08b.148$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Anyone have any criticism or praise?
>
> Wondering if this board has enough over clocking tweaks in bios.
>
> Does it perform?
>
> What are its shortcomings?
>
> Is there a better board for similar money?
>
> Difficult to find a review of this board, so hard to tell if it's a dog...
>
> TIA!

Bob H

Will watch for your posts!

"Michael H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bob, I just bought one last week and am saving up $$ for a Barton 2500. I
> have a Tbred 2000 but think it best to just wait two weeks and drop the
> Barton in rather than swap out the 2000. The Asus website reports on the
> overclocking of each board and they were able to get 200 FSB easily and
> stable out of the AK79G and Max boards, so since this board is based on

the
> same chipset and components, I would expect no less. Check back with me
> shortly as I am currently modding my case and will post results on my
> website.
>
> "Bob H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hC08b.148$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Anyone have any criticism or praise?
> >
> > Wondering if this board has enough over clocking tweaks in bios.
> >
> > Does it perform?
> >
> > What are its shortcomings?
> >
> > Is there a better board for similar money?
> >
> > Difficult to find a review of this board, so hard to tell if it's a

dog...

> > TIA!

Michael H.

Bob,
I totally agree on the lack of reviews. I bought mine from Newegg for
$71 (A.R.) and had read several good things on the board based on the few
reviews found there. Once again, it was nowhere near the dearth of info
available for the Epox 8RDA+ or the Aopen AK79G Max but I felt that it was
the best board for the money. Shortcomings, and I will first mention that I
have not even BOOTED mine up yet, but would appreciate a fourth memory slot
simply because more is better, especially if you plan on running your memory
at dual data rate. My PC buddies purchased Epox 8RDA boards but by the time
I had some leftover $, they were completely gone at Newegg and I can find no
(reliable) vendors selling them for near the price I paid for my Aopen.
Reviews indicate the overclocking utility included on the system CD is
rather poorly done, as are several of the utilities on the CD. For a
tweaker, I am less concerned with this as I can surely find useable
substitutes elsewhere. Otherwise, its an nForce 2 Ultra .. you can't go
wrong there.

> > > Wondering if this board has enough over clocking tweaks in bios.
> > >
> > > Does it perform?
> > >
> > > What are its shortcomings?
> > >
> > > Is there a better board for similar money?
> > >
> > > Difficult to find a review of this board, so hard to tell if it's a

> dog...
> > >
> > > TIA!

Michael H.

Bob,
Here's the link to the Aopen site I found in the newest PC World mag. I
created a new post for it since I didn't find anything relating to
overclocking searching the NG.

http://www.aopen.com/tech/report/overclk/default_mb.htm

My plan is to pick up a Barton 2500 and hope to run it at 200x11. My biggest
doubt is my RAM which is Samsung DDR2700 which is spec'd for 166, but may
have some problems at 200. One way to find out though ! I should be OK on
the cooling side of things with a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ HSF and a Tt 120mm
rear exhaust fan.