AL8 Northbridge fan - are they needed ?

mar

Mines gone very noisy now and again

whats the chances of it working without it ?

or any tips appreciated

Wes Newell

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:05:35 +0100, mar wrote:

> Mines gone very noisy now and again
>
> whats the chances of it working without it ?
>
> or any tips appreciated

Take the fan off. Peel the label off covering the bearing access plug and
remove plug. Put in small drop of lightweight oil and rotate fan to lube.
Put back together and use for another 5+ years.

Phil, Non-Squid

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:05:35 +0100, mar wrote:
>

>> Mines gone very noisy now and again
>>
>> whats the chances of it working without it ?
>>
>> or any tips appreciated

> Take the fan off. Peel the label off covering the bearing access plug
> and remove plug. Put in small drop of lightweight oil and rotate fan
> to lube. Put back together and use for another 5+ years.

It hasn't been that easy for me. On my NF7-S, I had to take it somewhat
apart and force grease into it, hoping it would slow it down somewhat and
make it quieter, while time would tend to thin out the grease as it
distributed itself. It got so gunky I had to WD40 it then reapply until I
got just the right distribution. What a pain. My new Gigabyte doesn't have
a NB fan, thank goodness.
--
Phil

Wes Newell

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 01:55:57 -0400, Phil, Non-Squid wrote:

> Wes Newell wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:05:35 +0100, mar wrote:
>>

>>> Mines gone very noisy now and again
>>>
>>> whats the chances of it working without it ?
>>>
>>> or any tips appreciated

>> Take the fan off. Peel the label off covering the bearing access plug
>> and remove plug. Put in small drop of lightweight oil and rotate fan
>> to lube. Put back together and use for another 5+ years.

> It hasn't been that easy for me. On my NF7-S, I had to take it somewhat
> apart and force grease into it, hoping it would slow it down somewhat and
> make it quieter, while time would tend to thin out the grease as it
> distributed itself. It got so gunky I had to WD40 it then reapply until I
> got just the right distribution. What a pain. My new Gigabyte doesn't have
> a NB fan, thank goodness.

Well what did you expect using grease? That's why I said a lightweight
oil, not grease.:-) Sewing machine oil, fishing reel oil, or brake fluid
work great. I've also used 3in1 oil, but it's a little thick. And 1 drop
off the end of a toothpick is more than enough. I had fans completely
locked up that I had to work the blades manaully after putting the oil in
before they would even start on thier own. Run with the bearing facing up
til you're certain the it's fully lubricated before reinstalling if you
have one stuck like this.

Phil, Non-Squid

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 01:55:57 -0400, Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
>
>> Wes Newell wrote:

>>> Take the fan off. Peel the label off covering the bearing access
>>> plug and remove plug. Put in small drop of lightweight oil and
>>> rotate fan to lube. Put back together and use for another 5+ years.

>> It hasn't been that easy for me. On my NF7-S, I had to take it
>> somewhat apart and force grease into it, hoping it would slow it
>> down somewhat and make it quieter, while time would tend to thin out
>> the grease as it distributed itself. It got so gunky I had to WD40
>> it then reapply until I got just the right distribution. What a
>> pain. My new Gigabyte doesn't have a NB fan, thank goodness.

> Well what did you expect using grease? That's why I said a lightweight
> oil, not grease.:-) Sewing machine oil, fishing reel oil, or brake
> fluid work great. I've also used 3in1 oil, but it's a little thick.

Each one of those were ineffective when I tried them prior to resorting to
grease. My guess is that the bearings were gone, or I'm hypersensitive to
noise, and I needed something a little stronger.

> And 1 drop off the end of a toothpick is more than enough. I had fans
> completely locked up that I had to work the blades manaully after
> putting the oil in before they would even start on thier own. Run
> with the bearing facing up til you're certain the it's fully
> lubricated before reinstalling if you have one stuck like this.

Forcing the grease, letting it distribute through use, then wiping it clean
silenced it enough for my satisfaction.

--
Phil

lkboop

mar wrote:
> Mines gone very noisy now and again
>
> whats the chances of it working without it ?
>
> or any tips appreciated

No it's just there for decoration-DA

AL8 Nortbridge fan - how to remove ? may Abit 0 05-26-2007 08:51 PM
AL8 noisy fan? Nigel Molesworth Abit 4 04-15-2006 01:31 PM
AL8 - noisy ? Abit Abit 1 12-31-2005 11:29 AM
al8 and 2gb ram supermazzinga Abit 0 12-28-2005 07:29 PM
Anyone running 8K9A3+ without the Northbridge fan (i.e. having passive vooling on the northbridge) Taba Epox 2 09-06-2003 07:12 PM