All drives not being recognized - new drive seems to have bumped oneof the others

HiC

Running XP Home and a Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0 mobo. The
system previously had 1 DVD drive, 1 floppy, 1 IDE drive (the C
drive), 1 SATA secondary drive, and 3 USB 2.0 drives which I use
mostly for storage and are normally not turned on. System recognized
all of these drives, no issues accessing any of them.

I added another internal IDE cabled in series with the C drive. I
noticed when booting the system with the new drive, it didn't give me
a "system configuration changed" message at the POST which has always
been the case previously. It booted normally. It now calls the new H/D
"F" which was formerly assigned to one of the USB drives and is now
ignoring one of the previously recognized USB 2.0 drives. As far as I
can tell, the MOBO is supposed to support as many drives as I have.

Any suggestions as to what the issue is?

Thanks for all input.

Conor

In article <91b83974-5141-494b-8654-a0e00a9b9f73
@v30g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, HiC says...
> Running XP Home and a Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0 mobo. The
> system previously had 1 DVD drive, 1 floppy, 1 IDE drive (the C
> drive), 1 SATA secondary drive, and 3 USB 2.0 drives which I use
> mostly for storage and are normally not turned on. System recognized
> all of these drives, no issues accessing any of them.
>
> I added another internal IDE cabled in series with the C drive. I
> noticed when booting the system with the new drive, it didn't give me
> a "system configuration changed" message at the POST which has always
> been the case previously. It booted normally. It now calls the new H/D
> "F" which was formerly assigned to one of the USB drives and is now
> ignoring one of the previously recognized USB 2.0 drives. As far as I
> can tell, the MOBO is supposed to support as many drives as I have.
>
> Any suggestions as to what the issue is?
>
> Thanks for all input.

Yeah, its done what its supposed to do and assigned a drive letter to
the internal hard drive over the external ones.

If you go into Disk Management, you can assign the "missing" USB2 drive
a letter.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

HiC

On Oct 5, 7:44*am, Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Any suggestions as to what the issue is?

> > Thanks for all input.

> Yeah, its done what its supposed to do and assigned a drive letter to
> the internal hard drive over the external ones.
>
> If you go into Disk Management, you can assign the "missing" USB2 drive
> a letter.

It doesn't show up in Administrative Tools > Computer Management >
Disk management. It's not there. The only place I find any indication
it's attached to the computer is under Computer Management > Universal
Serial Bus controllers, shows up as "Unknown device". No option to
name or rename it.

HiC

On Oct 5, 8:14*pm, HiC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It doesn't show up in Administrative Tools > Computer Management >
> Disk management. It's not there. The only place I find any indication
> it's attached to the computer is under Computer Management > Universal
> Serial Bus controllers, shows up as "Unknown device". No option to
> name or rename it.

Tried a different USB port, now it's being recognized and
automatically assigned a letter. Hmmm..