alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell FAQ (it's been a while)

wantenes@gmail.com

1. Table of Contents
2. Introduction and Intent
3. Spamming and Netiquette
4. How to ID your MOBO
4.1. BIOS string
4.2. FCCID#
4.3. SYSCRED.EXE
4.4. System Configuration Lookup
5. Drivers for PB devices
6. Links
6.1 Offical PB websites
6.2 PB user websites
6.3 Driver websites
6.4 Related Links
6.5 Anti-spam & netiquette websites
7. Abbreviations used
8. Thank yous

------------------------------

Subject: 2. Introduction and Intent

DISCLAIMER: ADVICE ON THIS NG IS FREELY GIVEN.
THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT IT WILL WORK.
USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

The intent of this un-official FAQ is to give you, the frustrated PB
user, a few guidelines to use when posting to this NG. These
suggestions give here are not set in stone, but are only used to assist
you in getting the fastest, and best answers to your questions about PB
computers. If you feel there needs to be some additions to this FAQ,
please contact me by replying to this post. Any and all suggestions are
welcome.

This NG is for assistance with Packard Bell Computers, not NEC. The two
companies, although now merged, did not now, nor did they in the past,
use the same parts or motherboards. If you have an NEC advice will be
very limited. I would suggest looking for other sources for help with
NEC computers.

When posting to this NG it may be extremely helpful, to those who
respond to your question, to know what MOBO you have. PB came out with
several different models of computers, and it is impossible to know
what is in a system by just a model number and/or name. The best way to
ID a system, and get accurate info about it, is to find out what MOBO
it uses.

No one here gets paid for the advice they give. No one here is employed
by PB (as far as I know); we are only here to help out our fellow PB
users. Now that PB is defunct in the North America, the following info
will apply mostly to users in North America. But, it is intended to
help out PB users around the world.

Please read through the whole FAQ before posting, it will make your
experience here much better. Also check out the websites in the LINKS
section; you may find your answer there.

------------------------------

Subject: 3. Spamming and Netiquette

This NG is not a moderated news group, but spamming will not be
tolerated here. If you do spam here, someone will find you, and have
your Internet service terminated. A couple of the regulars here take
joy in having someone's Internet access revoked because of spamming.

It has been reported that we have an email grabber on this NG. Someone
that likes to coax a person into an off group conversation (email), and
then uses that email address to send spam or adds it to spam lists.
Replying to the newsgroup is desired, it may benefit others. Be wary of
any requests for email answers.

Selling of any computer service or parts is not tolerated due to this
being a non-sales news group. Again, someone may track you down, and
you could loose your Internet access.

If posting something that is off topic, please put OT: in the beginning
of you subject line. Although posting off topic is discouraged, it is
sometimes a necessary evil.

DO NOT post binary attachments (ie: pictures) to this NG. This is not
a binary NG. If you feel it will help someone to "see" your problem
(ie: screen shots), then upload file somewhere and post a link to that
file. Most ISPs will give you some free FTP space, or you can use many
of the "build-your-own-website" sites that are out there.

NOTE: see the Anti-spam & Netiquette websites section for more info on
spam and netiquette.

------------------------------

Subject: 4 How to ID your MOBO

4.1. The first way is determined by the BIOS string (BIOS version)
displayed when the computer goes through its initial startup or POST.
IF you then post you BIOS string to this NG, someone is sure to point
you in the right direction.

BIOS string examples:
AMI 1.00.nn.xxxR
Phoenix 4A3NT0X0.86A.0062.P06
Award (format varies)
Packard Bell Bios x.xx

4.2. The second to ID a MOBO would be to look at the FCCID#, but I have
seen 1 case where this did not give the correct MOBO model. Anyway,
embedded in the FCC ID# is a series of 3 numbers that will tell you
what MOBO you have.

Example:FCC ID#: FOD680PT (click for EXAMPLE)
This would designate it as a system with a 680 MOBO.

4.3. Another way to find out what MOBO you have is to use the
SYSCRED.EXE program that may be on your system already, or possibly on
your PB Master Restore CD. To do this, first locate the SYSCRED>EXE
program either on your hard drive, or on you PB Master Restore CD. Then
just double click it to run, and it will tell you info about your
system. (click for EXAMPLE)

4.4. The finally way to find out what your system originally came with
is to use Priority One's (see link section) System Configuration Lookup
Utility. You will have to register to be able to use the system, and
use the FREE access registration. Then the System Lookup Configuration
Utility can be found in the Packard Bell driver section. This lookup
tool is for North American systems only. Sometimes it will not find
any information about your system, it's kinda hit n' miss.

Again, if asking a question on the NG, put as much info as you can in
the post. And the most important, besides your question, is usually
what MOBO you have. If you don't know what MOBO you have, post the BIOS
string and/or FCC ID# with your question, and someone in the group
should be able to figure it out.

------------------------------

Subject: 5 Drivers for PB devices

If you need drivers for your PB systems, the device that you need the
driver for must be correctly IDed. PB came out with hundreds of
hardware configurations, and similar to IDing a MOBO, it is impossible
to know what devices are in a PB system by model of PB you have. But
there are ways to ID a device in a computer.

The first way to id a device is in the DEVICE MANAGER, which can be
accessed by START>>CONTROL PANNEL>>SYSTEMS and then clicking on the
DEVICE MANAGER tab. Then scroll through and find the device in
question. This is sometime inaccurate, as Windows may not have
installed the correct drive when Windows was first setup.

A second way to ID a device would be to open the case and actual look
at the card. Look for the manufacture, model #, or chipset. Then go to
the manufacture's website, or any driver website (see LINKS section),
and see if you can find what you need there.

You can also use the FCC ID# to find out who made your device. Just
enter the number on the FCC's ID# search page (see LINKS section), and
you will find out who made your device.

NOTE: When using the FCC ID# and web page to find out who made your
device, make sure you are using the FCC ID# and not the FCC
Registration Number (see LINKS section).

------------------------------

Subject: 6. Links

6.1. Offical PB websites

http://www.priorityonesupport.com
Official Support site for PB in North America
Requires FREE regestration to get to usefull things on the site

http://www.packardbell.com
Official World Support site for PB

6.2 PB user websites
NOTE: These sites may be "DOWN" from time to time. IF they are, just
try them at another time.

http://www.geocities.com/anotherpackardbellsite
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/_ht_a/...ackardbell.htm (mirror)
Velix's PB website

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/
Ray's PB website

http://www.geocities.com/paul21_56304/index.html
Paul's PB boot disk/Restore CD website

6.3. Driver websites
Note: You can also find drivers at the official PB websites.

http://www.driversearch.com/sites.php
A searchable driver website

http://driverguide.com/
Another driver website
Username: drivers
Password: all

6.4. Related links

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/
FCC ID lookup page to find a manufacturer via the FCC ID#

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/help.html
Help page for FCC ID

http://microsoft.com
Microsoft's website

http://www.wimsbios.com/
Wim's BIOS page for info on various BIOS types

6.5. Anti-Spam &Netiquette Websites

http://www.my-newsgroups.com/SiteMap/netiquette.htm
Usenet Netiquette beginners guide

http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/notifyfaq.html
SPAM: What to report, how to report, where to report.

http://spamcop.net/
Spam Cop's original spam reporting service will help you report spam
quickly and accurately. Or choose from a variety of filtering options
ranging from the easiest web-mail account to advanced network-wide spam
blocking.

http://spam.abuse.net/
Lots of info, one of the best anti-spam sites on the net.

http://www.cauce.org/
Coalition Against Unwanted Commercial E-mail

http://www.turnstep.com/Spambot/
Here you will find information on how to avoid, detect, and harass Spam
bots. Spam bots are programs that extract email addresses from web
pages, which are then used as targets for spam.

------------------------------

Subject: 7. Abbreviations used

AMI=American Megatrends
BIOS=Basic Input Output System
FAQ=Frequently Asked Questions
FCC=Federal Communication Commission
MOBO=Mother Board
NG= News Group (ALT.SYS.PC-CLONE.PACKARDBELL)
PB=Packard Bell
POST=Power On Self Test

------------------------------

Subject: 8. Thank yous

First off, I would like to thank the old timers here (Elector, Ben, KC,
Metronid, Simon, and Velix). I believe I got my first taste of this NG
when trying to get a proper driver for my PB 1412SL monitor, so it
would work in 800x600 mode without having to use the vertical height
knob to adjust it to the proper screen size. To this day I still have
not gotten this damn monitor working properly. Hence you may not find
the answer you need here all the time.

I would also like to thank a lot of "newbies" that have popped up over
the last year or so. Without you, this group would get stale, and
eventually die out. You give a fresh perspective, and it is greatly
appreciated.