I am dying here!! OS X freexzing

Rick

I can't work for more than 2 minutes some days others its 30
occasionally a couple of hours but my OSX 10.2.6 is ALWAYS freezing.

When it boots.

waiting for local disks FREEZES
Firewall Extensions loading FREEZES

never the same twice.

Netscape for OSX and FREEZES, Dreamweaver MX for OS X 10.2.6 minimum
FREEZES, MS Word on OS 9 classic FREEZES.

Everything is working fine no high end processes going on, I move the
mouse and I mean just MOVE IT or click a menu FREEZES.

It seemed like a memory problem but I can't find how to allocate more
memory to a program so I bought more. Thought it was a mouse problem,
swapped mice??

Hey, I'll try almost anything, I can't work at ALL productively.

Running beige G3 tower with 466 mhz ZIF upgrade (G4)
768 MB RAM, 80 GB HD partitioned for OS X 10.2.6 (told not to go any
higher) and OS 9.2.2, 30 GB HD also still running old OS 9.2.2 for a few
special programs.

I have no clue where to start and I am running out of patience, I am
dying here. I have owned Macs since the original. I am tired of clean
installs!!!

My PC WXP Compaq Armanda E500 laptop with 1/3 of the Mac RAM and 1/3 the
HD space NEVER crashes!!!

Tips, advice, or willing buyers appreciated.

Rick

matt neuburg

Rick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I can't work for more than 2 minutes some days others its 30
> occasionally a couple of hours but my OSX 10.2.6 is ALWAYS freezing.
>
> When it boots.
>
> waiting for local disks FREEZES
> Firewall Extensions loading FREEZES
>
> never the same twice.
>
> Netscape for OSX and FREEZES, Dreamweaver MX for OS X 10.2.6 minimum
> FREEZES, MS Word on OS 9 classic FREEZES.
>
> Everything is working fine no high end processes going on, I move the
> mouse and I mean just MOVE IT or click a menu FREEZES.
>
> It seemed like a memory problem but I can't find how to allocate more
> memory to a program so I bought more. Thought it was a mouse problem,
> swapped mice??
>
> Hey, I'll try almost anything, I can't work at ALL productively.
>
> Running beige G3 tower with 466 mhz ZIF upgrade (G4)
> 768 MB RAM, 80 GB HD partitioned for OS X 10.2.6 (told not to go any
> higher) and OS 9.2.2, 30 GB HD also still running old OS 9.2.2 for a few
> special programs.

This is almost always a hardware problem. It's also difficult to track
down. It could be the ZIF upgrade, it could be bad RAM, it could a
peripheral connected to your computer. I know someone who had random
freezes caused by a bad firewire port, and he didn't even have anything
connected to that port! Also, another thing to consider is that on some
G3s it was important to have an 8 GB partition (or smaller) as the first
partition on your hard drive, and install Mac OS X into that partition.
Your machine might not be one of those but it can't hurt to give that a
try. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = (E-Mail Removed), http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
AppleScript: The Definitive Guide

Rick

matt neuburg wrote:
> Rick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I can't work for more than 2 minutes some days others its 30
>>occasionally a couple of hours but my OSX 10.2.6 is ALWAYS freezing.
>>
>>When it boots.
>>
>>waiting for local disks FREEZES
>>Firewall Extensions loading FREEZES
>>
>>never the same twice.
>>
>>Netscape for OSX and FREEZES, Dreamweaver MX for OS X 10.2.6 minimum
>>FREEZES, MS Word on OS 9 classic FREEZES.
>>
>>Everything is working fine no high end processes going on, I move the
>>mouse and I mean just MOVE IT or click a menu FREEZES.
>>
>>It seemed like a memory problem but I can't find how to allocate more
>>memory to a program so I bought more. Thought it was a mouse problem,
>>swapped mice??
>>
>>Hey, I'll try almost anything, I can't work at ALL productively.
>>
>>Running beige G3 tower with 466 mhz ZIF upgrade (G4)
>>768 MB RAM, 80 GB HD partitioned for OS X 10.2.6 (told not to go any
>>higher) and OS 9.2.2, 30 GB HD also still running old OS 9.2.2 for a few
>>special programs.

> This is almost always a hardware problem. It's also difficult to track
> down. It could be the ZIF upgrade, it could be bad RAM, it could a
> peripheral connected to your computer. I know someone who had random
> freezes caused by a bad firewire port, and he didn't even have anything
> connected to that port! Also, another thing to consider is that on some
> G3s it was important to have an 8 GB partition (or smaller) as the first
> partition on your hard drive, and install Mac OS X into that partition.
> Your machine might not be one of those but it can't hurt to give that a
> try. m.

Thank you Matt. I failed to mentioned that I did partition the HD to 8GB.

The random ness is usually my life style but this is frustrating. Is it
possible for the keyboard and mouse to do this? Just wondering, they are
the oldest parts of the computer coming from old Mac LCIIIs give or take
when an earlier set was replaced with a USB mouse and keyboard but they
wouldn't work off my add on USB card.

I would like to find some way to narrow this down. I read about other G3
users having no trouble at all.

Thanks

Stephen Edwards

In article <Kx9Xd.48815$755.40359@lakeread05>, Rick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

8<SNIP>8

> possible for the keyboard and mouse to do this? Just wondering, they are

Not impossible, but improbable.

> the oldest parts of the computer coming from old Mac LCIIIs give or take
> when an earlier set was replaced with a USB mouse and keyboard but they
> wouldn't work off my add on USB card.
>
> I would like to find some way to narrow this down. I read about other G3
> users having no trouble at all.

When any computer system freezes, I don't care if it's a Mac, PC, SGI,
SUN, DEC, HP, Bull, IBM mainframe, anything, 99.99% of the time, it's
because of a hardware problem.

You might consider running a test program on your RAM for starters. If
that doesn't yield any errors, then I'd suggest contacting the
manufacturer of your ZIF CPU upgrade, and see if they have had any
similar reports from other users (in fact, you might want to check out
their website for starters).

Perhaps it's an issue with your firmware settings? As in, you might
need to change some settings in your machine's OpenFirmware after you
install the new CPU. Just a thought. I hope I was some help.
--
while ((remote_user == "potentially braindead spamming scriptmonkey") == 0) {
strcpy (myusername, "01100001 01101110 01100001 01101101"); //decode binary

matt neuburg

Rick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> matt neuburg wrote:
> > Rick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>I can't work for more than 2 minutes some days others its 30
> >>occasionally a couple of hours but my OSX 10.2.6 is ALWAYS freezing.
> >>
> >>When it boots.
> >>
> >>waiting for local disks FREEZES
> >>Firewall Extensions loading FREEZES
> >>
> >>never the same twice.
> >>
> >>Netscape for OSX and FREEZES, Dreamweaver MX for OS X 10.2.6 minimum
> >>FREEZES, MS Word on OS 9 classic FREEZES.
> >>
> >>Everything is working fine no high end processes going on, I move the
> >>mouse and I mean just MOVE IT or click a menu FREEZES.
> >>
> >>It seemed like a memory problem but I can't find how to allocate more
> >>memory to a program so I bought more. Thought it was a mouse problem,
> >>swapped mice??
> >>
> >>Hey, I'll try almost anything, I can't work at ALL productively.
> >>
> >>Running beige G3 tower with 466 mhz ZIF upgrade (G4)
> >>768 MB RAM, 80 GB HD partitioned for OS X 10.2.6 (told not to go any
> >>higher) and OS 9.2.2, 30 GB HD also still running old OS 9.2.2 for a few
> >>special programs.

> > This is almost always a hardware problem. It's also difficult to track
> > down. It could be the ZIF upgrade, it could be bad RAM, it could a
> > peripheral connected to your computer. I know someone who had random
> > freezes caused by a bad firewire port, and he didn't even have anything
> > connected to that port! Also, another thing to consider is that on some
> > G3s it was important to have an 8 GB partition (or smaller) as the first
> > partition on your hard drive, and install Mac OS X into that partition.
> > Your machine might not be one of those but it can't hurt to give that a
> > try. m.
> >

> Thank you Matt. I failed to mentioned that I did partition the HD to 8GB.
>
> The random ness is usually my life style but this is frustrating. Is it
> possible for the keyboard and mouse to do this? Just wondering, they are
> the oldest parts of the computer coming from old Mac LCIIIs give or take
> when an earlier set was replaced with a USB mouse and keyboard but they
> wouldn't work off my add on USB card.

It could certainly be the keyboard, the mouse, any peripheral. Try
swapping out or eliminating anything you can — every peripheral, every
add-on, every RAM module, every card that's in there. Take things one at
a time and try to be scientific. The really annoying part is that it
*might* not even be hardware, but it almost certainly is. m.

--

simples_it@yahoo.it

In article <Un7Xd.48636$755.21934@lakeread05>, Rick <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I can't work for more than 2 minutes some days others its 30
> occasionally a couple of hours but my OSX 10.2.6 is ALWAYS freezing.
>
> When it boots.
>
> waiting for local disks FREEZES
> Firewall Extensions loading FREEZES
>
> never the same twice.
>
> Netscape for OSX and FREEZES, Dreamweaver MX for OS X 10.2.6 minimum
> FREEZES, MS Word on OS 9 classic FREEZES.
>
> Everything is working fine no high end processes going on, I move the
> mouse and I mean just MOVE IT or click a menu FREEZES.
>
> It seemed like a memory problem but I can't find how to allocate more
> memory to a program so I bought more. Thought it was a mouse problem,
> swapped mice??
>
> Hey, I'll try almost anything, I can't work at ALL productively.
>
> Running beige G3 tower with 466 mhz ZIF upgrade (G4)
> 768 MB RAM, 80 GB HD partitioned for OS X 10.2.6 (told not to go any
> higher) and OS 9.2.2, 30 GB HD also still running old OS 9.2.2 for a few
> special programs.
>
> I have no clue where to start and I am running out of patience, I am
> dying here. I have owned Macs since the original. I am tired of clean
> installs!!!
>
> My PC WXP Compaq Armanda E500 laptop with 1/3 of the Mac RAM and 1/3 the
> HD space NEVER crashes!!!
>
> Tips, advice, or willing buyers appreciated.
>
> Rick

Try making sure all RAM, PCI cards, processor, connectors etc are
properly connected and seated.

Rob.

Jerry Kindall

wrote:

> Running beige G3 tower with 466 mhz ZIF upgrade (G4)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^

That's almost certainly your problem. Could also be faulty RAM. Put
the original G3 back in and see if it solves your problems. if so,
send the upgrade back for a replacement.

Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.

Zaphod B

Stephen Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You might consider running a test program on your RAM for starters.

TechWorks has an OS9 version that does very good ram testing - much
better than the OS X version, for some reason. A long thread here has
just recently discussed that.
--
/Z

Dave Seaman

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:11:13 +0200, Zaphod B wrote:
> Stephen Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> You might consider running a test program on your RAM for starters.

> TechWorks has an OS9 version that does very good ram testing - much
> better than the OS X version, for some reason. A long thread here has
> just recently discussed that.

But even if such tests turn up negative, don't rule out the possibility
of bad RAM. If you have enough memory available to be able to do some
swapping (and if you have experience installing memory), then you should
do so. I recently had one DIMM replaced on my G5 under Apple warranty.
Hardware tests and memtester runs gave no useful information, but it
turned out that the random freezes stopped whenever one particular DIMM
was not installed.

--
Dave Seaman
Judge Yohn's mistakes revealed in Mumia Abu-Jamal ruling.

Stephen Edwards

In article <d0k795$q5p$(E-Mail Removed)>, Dave Seaman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:11:13 +0200, Zaphod B wrote:
> > Stephen Edwards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> You might consider running a test program on your RAM for starters.

> > TechWorks has an OS9 version that does very good ram testing - much
> > better than the OS X version, for some reason. A long thread here has
> > just recently discussed that.

> But even if such tests turn up negative, don't rule out the possibility
> of bad RAM. If you have enough memory available to be able to do some
> swapping (and if you have experience installing memory), then you should
> do so. I recently had one DIMM replaced on my G5 under Apple warranty.
> Hardware tests and memtester runs gave no useful information, but it
> turned out that the random freezes stopped whenever one particular DIMM
> was not installed.

Perhaps one of your DIMMs was the wrong type (ie: voltage, etc.)?

is my board Dying? Ad C Abit 10 10-06-2005 07:21 AM
dying Highpoint 374 controller? David Shorthouse Abit 3 05-10-2004 09:00 PM
Re: CD-ROM drives dying Alan Abit 3 09-11-2003 07:48 PM
Re: CD-ROM drives dying Arnold Abit 2 09-10-2003 10:43 PM
Dying disk on P2L-97 Ola A Johansson Asus 6 07-02-2003 02:17 AM