AM37L motherboard

Andrew

Hi. I am having a problem with the AM37L motherboard, a board
exclusive to eMachines, particularly the W2040 model.

I'm trying to install a new video card. It's a Radeon 9600 XT 256MB
from GeCube (Tiwanese company like FIC).

I shut the computer off, put it in, put the moniter cable in it, and
boot it up. Windows found the new hardware and wanted to install it
for me, I closed it out and ran the Setup from the CD. When that was
done, I restarted, came back, and it told me that the ATI Control
Panel cannot start up because there is either a problem with the
driver or the driver isn't installed. I run Device Manager and it
shows exclamation marks on both USB and ATI Radeon 9600 Series
devices. I see what the problem is and they both say

---

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code
12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the
other devices on this system.

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

---

So I run troubleshooting on ATI Radeon.

---

Are you having problems using this device?
If a resource being used by a particular device conflicts with a
resource reserved by your computer, the conflict most likely will not
cause problems. If you are not having any other problem using your
device, you can probably ignore this resource conflict.

Are you having a problem using this device?

---

So I close out, try to run a game, and it tells me that it can't
initialize a shader thingy. I close out, go back to the trouble
shooter and chose

Yes, I am having a problem using this device and want to resolve the
conflict.

---

Is your device installed more than once?

---

Well I do see 2 Radeon's installed. One is 9600 Series and the other
is 9600 Series Secondary, which I assumed is the CRT, which has no
exclamation mark by the way. I try uninstalling the drivers,
rebooting, reinstalling, again ignoring Windows, restart, and I get
deja vu.

So no, I still have a resource conflict. Or, my device was installed
only once.

---

Configure one or more devices to use different resources.

If two devices are configured to use the same resource, and one of
them shows Error Code 12, configure one or both of the devices to use
different resources.

Note that it is normal for devices to share resources on your
computer, and this does not usually cause a problem. You should only
change the resource settings if you receive Error Code 12 for one of
the devices that is sharing the resource.

To find out which resources your device is sharing

Open Device Manager.
If the category for your device is not expanded, double-click the
category.
Under the category for your device, click the device with which you
are having trouble.
On the View menu, click Resources by type.
Double-click the resource types to see which resources are being used
by which devices. If the device with which you are having trouble is
sharing a resource setting with another device, try configuring one of
the devices to use a different resource.
Note

To open Device Manager, click Start, click Control Panel, click
Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. In the System
Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device
Manager.
To configure a device to use a different resource
While you are in the Resources by type view, double-click the device
for which you want to change resource settings.
On the Resources tab, under Resource type, click the entry that
conflicts with another device.
Clear the Use automatic settings check box, and then click a different
configuration in the Setting based on list.
Click Change Setting.
Scroll through the available Value settings, checking Conflict
information as you select each one.
If you find a setting that does not conflict with one of your other
devices, click OK, and then restart your computer.

If all settings conflict with other devices, click Cancel to close the
dialog box, answer No to the question at the bottom of this page, and
then click Next.
Note

Depending on the type of hardware you have, you might need to change
the jumper settings on your card to match the new resource setting or
run a configuration utility provided by the hardware manufacturer.

If the jumper settings on your card are not set appropriately, your
hardware will not work, even if you resolve the conflict correctly.

If you make changes to your jumpers or make any other physical changes
to your hardware, make sure that you turn your computer off first. For
more information, consult your device documentation or contact the
manufacturer.

Note

To open Device Manager, click Start, click Control Panel, click
Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. In the System
Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device
Manager.

Does reconfiguring one or more devices resolve the hardware conflict?

---

I try and do this, but low-and-behold I can't change anything in the
Resources tab because it says

---

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use.

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the
other devices on this system.

---

So no, I still have a hardware conflict.

---

Turn off one of the conflicting devices.

Well, I really don't want to do this since I'm using 4 USB devices,
but I try anyway. I uninstall the USB, restart, my USB mouse still
works (the only thing plugged in at the time), go back, USB says it
has an unknown driver. Radeon 9600 still has conflict resource.

---

I look around GeCube's (card manufacturer) site, Windows Support site,
ATI's site, can't find anything relevant to my situation. I go ask
eMachine's live technical support.

They tell me that I have to take the card out, restart it in Safe
Mode, Disable the onboard video via Device Manager, and reboot with
the card in. I go and do this but when I go and disable the video, it
seems like nothing happened. It doesn't even prompt me to restart. I
go ahead and restart, put the card back in, still unable to start ATI
Control Panel and Radeon 9600 Series still has the same error.

The troubleshooter after the last one is

---

This troubleshooter is unable to solve your problem.
You have run into a problem that this troubleshooter cannot help you
solve. For additional Windows resources, click Start, point to All
Programs, and then click Windows Update.

---

Gee, thanks for all your help Windows.

eMachines mentioned that the motherboard number is AM37L. I checked
NIC's site for a firmware upgrade and it wasn't even listed. I found
this thread

http://forums.viaarena.com/messagevi...threadid=49924

And they seem to be having the same problem as me.

What would you suggest I do?

Alex Zorrilla

What was your old graphics card, out of curiosity? Did you try
uninstalling its graphics drivers through Add/Remove Programs before
installing the Radeon? It could be remnants of the old graphics driver
are interfering with the Radeon.

You may also try updating the VIA "Hyperion" chipset drivers. It could be
there are some AGP related conflicts that are resolved with newer
drivers. You can get them here:

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

--Alex

Junior Member