AMD Athlon 64 best motherboard - K8NE deluxe or K8VE deluxe?

Chris

Hi there,

I am looking at upgrading to an Athlon 64, and have narrowed nmy choices
down to an Assus motherboard, either a K8NE deluxe or K8VE deluxe.

I have read that the Via chipset is 'better' than the Nvidia chipset (in
terms of the hypertransport performance, and also PCI bus performance)
but still remember the grief that I had with a VIA chipset in the past.
The Nvidia boards optical audio out is also a point in its favour.

My main use will be video capture (from a PCI bus card to an IDE hard
drive) as well as home cinema use (using the onboard audio with the
S/PDif output to a Dolby Digital / DTS decoder).

Can anyone give me a recommendation, or does it just come down to
personal preference?

Many Thanks,

Chris.

--
cut along the dotted line to reply

Ben Pope

Chris wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am looking at upgrading to an Athlon 64, and have narrowed nmy choices
> down to an Assus motherboard, either a K8NE deluxe or K8VE deluxe.
>
> I have read that the Via chipset is 'better' than the Nvidia chipset (in
> terms of the hypertransport performance, and also PCI bus performance)

That was the nForce3 150. The K8N-E uses the nForce2 250 which is an
all-round much better chip. Better than the Via in many cases.

> but still remember the grief that I had with a VIA chipset in the past.
> The Nvidia boards optical audio out is also a point in its favour.
>
> My main use will be video capture (from a PCI bus card to an IDE hard
> drive) as well as home cinema use (using the onboard audio with the
> S/PDif output to a Dolby Digital / DTS decoder).
>
> Can anyone give me a recommendation, or does it just come down to
> personal preference?

Personal preference... looks like you have a tick for the K8N-E (optical
out), and your cross I've negated (nForce3 250 is as good as the Via), so I
think you know the answer...

Ben

Frank.Schmidt

> I have read that the Via chipset is 'better' than the Nvidia chipset (in
> terms of the hypertransport performance, and also PCI bus performance)
> but still remember the grief that I had with a VIA chipset in the past.
> The Nvidia boards optical audio out is also a point in its favour.

The K8V Deluxe has an optical output, too

> My main use will be video capture (from a PCI bus card to an IDE hard
> drive) as well as home cinema use (using the onboard audio with the
> S/PDif output to a Dolby Digital / DTS decoder).
>
> Can anyone give me a recommendation, or does it just come down to
> personal preference?

I got the K8V Deluxe which is a great board

Ben Pope wrote:

> Personal preference... looks like you have a tick for the K8N-E (optical
> out), and your cross I've negated (nForce3 250 is as good as the Via), so I
> think you know the answer...
>
> Ben

Thanks Ben - looks like K8N-E deluxe it is.

Cheers,

Chris.

--

Frank.Schmidt wrote:

> The K8V Deluxe has an optical output, too
>
> I got the K8V Deluxe which is a great board

Thanks for your reply Frank. I didn't realise the K8V deluxe had an
optical out - the motherboard manual on Asus' website didn't seem to
mention it

--
cut along the dotted line to reply