what AMD cpu is a good buy

mark

I'm looking to buy a new system, what are some cpus that make a good
overclock? Even there is so much new stuff out there I can't make much sence
out of it.

The intel core 2 due seems like a good cpu as well.

Merrill P. L. Worthington

mark wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a new system, what are some cpus that make a good
> overclock? Even there is so much new stuff out there I can't make much sence
> out of it.
>
> The intel core 2 due seems like a good cpu as well.

As far as AMD processors, the A64 3700 San diego is a great buy and
overclocks pretty well (YMMV). The A64 3800 Venice is a great deal even
if not overclocked. But it will clock to 2.6ghz without even breaking a
sweat.

IMO, the best o/c deal is the 4200 X2. Will easily o/c to 2.6.

DRS

"Merrill P. L. Worthington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t4a1h.362$(E-Mail Removed)

[...]

> As far as AMD processors, the A64 3700 San diego is a great buy and
> overclocks pretty well (YMMV). The A64 3800 Venice is a great deal
> even if not overclocked. But it will clock to 2.6ghz without even
> breaking a sweat.
>
> IMO, the best o/c deal is the 4200 X2. Will easily o/c to 2.6.

I run my 939 X2 4200 Manchester at 2.6GHz. I've had it stable at 2.7Ghz but
I had to up the voltage over AMD's recommended operating range (ie, over
1.4v) so I pegged it back. My BIOS has enough voltage options to let me
think it'd probably get to 2.8Ghz but I haven't tried it.

Merrill P. L. Worthington

DRS wrote:

> "Merrill P. L. Worthington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:t4a1h.362$(E-Mail Removed)
>
> [...]
>

>>As far as AMD processors, the A64 3700 San diego is a great buy and
>>overclocks pretty well (YMMV). The A64 3800 Venice is a great deal
>>even if not overclocked. But it will clock to 2.6ghz without even
>>breaking a sweat.
>>
>>IMO, the best o/c deal is the 4200 X2. Will easily o/c to 2.6.

> I run my 939 X2 4200 Manchester at 2.6GHz. I've had it stable at 2.7Ghz but
> I had to up the voltage over AMD's recommended operating range (ie, over
> 1.4v) so I pegged it back. My BIOS has enough voltage options to let me
> think it'd probably get to 2.8Ghz but I haven't tried it.

Agree. My results are the same as yours. I'm running a 4200 X2 (its a
dummied down Toledo core) at 2.6ghz without any voltage change. System
runs stable, but sometimes doesn't want to complete a restart. Need to
do a shutdown instead and all is fine.

I've overclocked the other CPUs as noted above without any voltage changes.

Eric Parker

"mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I'm looking to buy a new system, what are some cpus that make a good
> overclock? Even there is so much new stuff out there I can't make
> much sence out of it.
>
> The intel core 2 due seems like a good cpu as well.

I've recently got a A64 3200+ Venice S939.
This becomes unstable at 2650 MHz stock voltage but runs quite happily
at 2600 (24 hours prime95).
So I'm getting 30% overclock.
Others I've had wouldn't go that high so easily.
If price isn't an issue get an FX, you'll get more overclocking
options.

If I was starting afresh I'd go with Core 2 Duo.
I've been recommending/using AMD for 6 years or more now but Intel
seem to have been shocked into action.

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

DRS

"Merrill P. L. Worthington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gZc1h.2199$(E-Mail Removed)
> DRS wrote:

[...]

>> I run my 939 X2 4200 Manchester at 2.6GHz. I've had it stable at
>> 2.7Ghz but I had to up the voltage over AMD's recommended operating
>> range (ie, over 1.4v) so I pegged it back. My BIOS has enough voltage
>> options to
>> let me think it'd probably get to 2.8Ghz but I haven't tried it.

> Agree. My results are the same as yours. I'm running a 4200 X2 (its
> a dummied down Toledo core) at 2.6ghz without any voltage change. System
> runs stable, but sometimes doesn't want to complete a restart.
> Need to do a shutdown instead and all is fine.

I've now got 4 sticks of RAM and I've found the extra stress on the memory
controller requires increasing the voltage for stability.

mike6

well i picked up a amd64 x2 4400 toledo core at newegg for 200.00 oc's
niceley , im very happy with it , i run multiple apps and get no
slowdown or stutter at all. very nice chip

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:53:45 -0500, "mark" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'm looking to buy a new system, what are some cpus that make a good
>overclock? Even there is so much new stuff out there I can't make much sence
>out of it.
>
>The intel core 2 due seems like a good cpu as well.

RICHARD

Is the AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6GHz CPU @ $150 a better OC option then the
AMD OpteronT Processor Model 148 2.2 ghz @ $36 shipped? Both single core 1mb
cashe of course.
Dick
"mike6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> well i picked up a amd64 x2 4400 toledo core at newegg for 200.00 oc's
> niceley , im very happy with it , i run multiple apps and get no
> slowdown or stutter at all. very nice chip
>

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:53:45 -0500, "mark" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm looking to buy a new system, what are some cpus that make a good
>>overclock? Even there is so much new stuff out there I can't make much
>>sence
>>out of it.
>>
>>The intel core 2 due seems like a good cpu as well.

Augustus

"RICHARD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is the AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6GHz CPU @ $150 a better OC option then the
> AMD OpteronT Processor Model 148 2.2 ghz @ $36 shipped? Both single core
> 1mb cashe of course.

Where, exactly, are you getting an FX-55 for $150 or an Opteron 148 for $36?
I don't think a link exists...

buzzard

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 05:27:07 GMT, "Augustus" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"RICHARD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is the AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6GHz CPU @ $150 a better OC option then the
>> AMD OpteronT Processor Model 148 2.2 ghz @ $36 shipped? Both single core
>> 1mb cashe of course.

>Where, exactly, are you getting an FX-55 for $150 or an Opteron 148 for $36?
>I don't think a link exists...

They're more like $199, but you can get a free 250g seagate HD with
it, and there's an on again off again AMD promo for considerable
change if you use the magic "AMDROCKS" password or whatever they
call that stuff.

Getting the $219 retail version will get you a good heatpipe
heatsink and a real warranty for $19 more.

Personally, I kind of like those dual core 2.6ghz processors at
$300. I might wait and see what happens later.