AMD DirectX 11 White Paper Released

Benjamin Gawert

* DrTeeth:
>> the gfx was a bit better than with plain
>> DX9.

> TBH, I would not be able to tell the difference if I did not know
> which was which.

Well, the difference isn't really big, it just looks a tad better (at
least in DX10 with max details over DX9 with max details, DX10 with less
than max details is probably pointless as there probably is no
difference to DX9). But it isn't groundbreaking, and definitely doesn't
make up for the lack of proper gameplay (like in Crysis).

Benjamin

Yousuf Khan

Trimble Bracegirdle wrote:
> DX11 had better work on DX10 cards or I shall not be alone in stamping my
> feet
> & screeching at the Sky.

There's always a software and hardware portion of all DX versions. I'm
sure the software portion will continue to work on as ancient hardware
as you can get.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

Oliver Nowak wrote:
> Antonio Huerta wrote :
>> But what's likely to
>> happen, both will also support OpenCL, which is a software interface
>> to the graphical effects.

> OpenCL is another equivalent to Nvidia's proprietary CUDA (meaning
> allowing for general purpose computing on the GPU, not necessarily
> graphics) - this time a cross-platform multi-vendor open standard effort
> which is headed by Apple, IIRC.

Yeah, you can basically think of OpenCL will be to DirectX11's "compute
shaders" feature, as OpenGL was to previous DirectX's 3D graphics
engine. They are competitors to each other, where one is multi-vendor
while the other one is single-vendor but a big vendor (Microsoft).

Yousuf Khan

DrTeeth

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:00:36 -0700 (PDT), just as I was about to take
a herb, Victor <(E-Mail Removed)> disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I definitely can see a differerence in those games that support dx 10
>especially fsx.Lighting is much better.

In FSX using DX10, all my runways and taxiways flash and I cannot use
it. ATi 4870 latest drivers (as always).
--

Cheers,

DrT