AMD Processor driver

Carl

Hello, does the amd processor driver impact performance in benchmarking? I
friend of mine says he would never put it on his machine, but i was
wondering if anyone has noticed if say, 3dmark scores are lower with theh
processor driver installed?

Ed Light

The 64 bit one is, AFAIK, just a cool'n'quiet driver.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Ed Light

"Ed Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> The 64 bit one is, AFAIK, just a cool'n'quiet driver.

And so it could interfere with overclocking.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Conor

In article <OYnfg.10925$KB.9227@fed1read08>, Ed Light says...

> "Ed Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > The 64 bit one is, AFAIK, just a cool'n'quiet driver.

> And so it could interfere with overclocking.

I can't see how. It's primary function is to throttle the speed by 50%
when there is a light load on the CPU.

--
Conor,
Grumpy Old Man.

myPC

I'm not shure how either. But there is an AMD driver available for the
motherboard I just ordered....they give you a WARNING not to install the
drivers if you're overclocking....

HTH...

"Conor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <OYnfg.10925$KB.9227@fed1read08>, Ed Light says...
>>
>> "Ed Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > The 64 bit one is, AFAIK, just a cool'n'quiet driver.

>> And so it could interfere with overclocking.
>>

> I can't see how. It's primary function is to throttle the speed by 50%
> when there is a light load on the CPU.
>

> --
> Conor,
> Grumpy Old Man.
> Same ****, different day.

Ed Light

"myPC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not shure how either. But there is an AMD driver available for the
> motherboard I just ordered....they give you a WARNING not to install the
> drivers if you're overclocking....
>
> HTH...
>

> "Conor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>> In article <OYnfg.10925$KB.9227@fed1read08>, Ed Light says...
>>>
>>> "Ed Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> And so it could interfere with overclocking.
>>>

>> I can't see how. It's primary function is to throttle the speed by 50%
>> when there is a light load on the CPU.

It also wants to change the voltage.

It may not be able to if the voltage isn't on auto in the bios. But people
usually don't mess with it. The voltages in reduced speeds might not fit the
overclock.

For that reason I use CrystalCPUID. Though that has some issues. To change
the voltage the bios have to be on auto, at least on my nforce3. It will
only raise my 1.4v winnie to 1.45. This is enough for 2.4g, so it's ok with
me. I can specify 3 speeds and a voltage for each. But, It's booting at
stock voltage so it can't boot overclocked. I solved that by setting a low
enough multiplier for the cpu so it boots at a little under stock speed,
though the clock is high, and then when Crystal loads it takes over the
multipliers and voltages. To go faster than 2.4 gigs I'd simply have to set
the volts in the bios and give up lowering them.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\