amd quad core versus intel?

peter

amd announced quad core on one chip. In theory this should be more efficient
than 2-chip quad core like intel's.

It'd probably be a few months before anybody could get one to do a
review/comparison. But obviously AMD itself and maybe some mobo makers must
have done some testing already. Could someone please leak those tests?

Phil Weldon

'peter' wrote| amd announced quad core on one chip. In theory this should be
more efficient
| than 2-chip quad core like intel's.
|
| It'd probably be a few months before anybody could get one to do a
| review/comparison. But obviously AMD itself and maybe some mobo makers
must
| have done some testing already. Could someone please leak those tests?
_____

Perhaps you can wait until the AMD Barcelona debut today, Monday September
10, 2007. Compared to the Intel quad core on two chips, the Barcelona
numbers for floating point look good, the numbers for integer do not;
initial clock speeds are ~ 2 GHz. And in November Intel debuts quad on one
chip. Just Google Barcelona for official numbers.

Phil Weldon

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| amd announced quad core on one chip. In theory this should be more
efficient
| than 2-chip quad core like intel's.
|
| It'd probably be a few months before anybody could get one to do a
| review/comparison. But obviously AMD itself and maybe some mobo makers
must
| have done some testing already. Could someone please leak those tests?

Al Brumski

Phil,

What Intel offering are you referring to in November???

The 45nm Yorkfield is supposed to be only a die shrink of the current
65nm quads with some new instructions added. Still 2 dies on one chip.

Nehalem which is supposed to be a "true" possibly 8 core/single chip
is slated for '08 (me thinks).

Al

'Al Brumski' wrote:
| What Intel offering are you referring to in November???
|
| The 45nm Yorkfield is supposed to be only a die shrink of the current
| 65nm quads with some new instructions added. Still 2 dies on one chip.
|
| Nehalem which is supposed to be a "true" possibly 8 core/single chip
| is slated for '08 (me thinks).
_____

I think you are correct, and that the Yorkfield scheduled for 4th quarter
2007 will use two Penryn dual core chips. The Intel processor roadmap shows
the Nehalem 45 nm new platform (and quad core on one chip) due in 2nd half
2008.

Phil Weldon

"Al Brumski" <(E-Mail Removed)?> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Phil,
|
| What Intel offering are you referring to in November???
|
| The 45nm Yorkfield is supposed to be only a die shrink of the current
| 65nm quads with some new instructions added. Still 2 dies on one chip.
|
| Nehalem which is supposed to be a "true" possibly 8 core/single chip
| is slated for '08 (me thinks).
|
| Al
|
| On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:14:52 -0300, "Phil Weldon"
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
| >'peter' wrote| amd announced quad core on one chip. In theory this should
be
| >more efficient
| >| than 2-chip quad core like intel's.
| >|
| >| It'd probably be a few months before anybody could get one to do a
| >| review/comparison. But obviously AMD itself and maybe some mobo makers
| >must
| >| have done some testing already. Could someone please leak those tests?
| >_____
| >
| >Perhaps you can wait until the AMD Barcelona debut today, Monday
September
| >10, 2007. Compared to the Intel quad core on two chips, the Barcelona
| >numbers for floating point look good, the numbers for integer do not;
| >initial clock speeds are ~ 2 GHz. And in November Intel debuts quad on
one
| >chip. Just Google Barcelona for official numbers.
| >
| >Phil Weldon
| >
| >"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| >| amd announced quad core on one chip. In theory this should be more
| >efficient
| >| than 2-chip quad core like intel's.
| >|
| >| It'd probably be a few months before anybody could get one to do a
| >| review/comparison. But obviously AMD itself and maybe some mobo makers
| >must
| >| have done some testing already. Could someone please leak those tests?
| >|
| >|

Ed M.

"Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 'Al Brumski' wrote:
> | What Intel offering are you referring to in November???
> |
> | The 45nm Yorkfield is supposed to be only a die shrink of the current
> | 65nm quads with some new instructions added. Still 2 dies on one chip.
> |
> | Nehalem which is supposed to be a "true" possibly 8 core/single chip
> | is slated for '08 (me thinks).
> _____
>
> I think you are correct, and that the Yorkfield scheduled for 4th quarter
> 2007 will use two Penryn dual core chips. The Intel processor roadmap
> shows
> the Nehalem 45 nm new platform (and quad core on one chip) due in 2nd half
> 2008.
>
> Phil Weldon

The Nehalem is what I am waiting for to do my next upgrade from the
E6600 if nothing happens in-between that would convince me to change sooner.
My son is wanting me to build him an E6600 system and if I do......guess
what he is getting.......:-). It will be Qxxx something for me....:-). Phil,
do you know if the 680i will support the Nehalems? I have no info on that at
all. It would be a bit early for me to do a complete system again.

Ed Medlin

Phil Weldon

'Ed M.' wrote:
| The Nehalem is what I am waiting for to do my next upgrade from the
| E6600 if nothing happens in-between that would convince me to change
sooner.
| My son is wanting me to build him an E6600 system and if I do......guess
| what he is getting.......:-). It will be Qxxx something for me....:-).
Phil,
| do you know if the 680i will support the Nehalems? I have no info on that
at
| all. It would be a bit early for me to do a complete system again.
_____

Uh, signs point to no, but what do I know? Nehalem seems to be a major
revamp of the CPU architecture. I think the Intel procedure is now major
revamp - shrink - major revamp - shrink. For the Nehalem to offer much
benefit over the Penryn my guess is that's going to affect chipsets and
motherboard design, and probably memory requirements. But by second half
2008 you'll want flash memory on board intermediate in the memory hierarchy
between hard drives and RAM.

I got my new notebook with a T7300 2 GHz 4 MByte L2 Dual Core 2, nVidia
M8600 GT, and 1680 X 1050 15.4" screen. Haven't really done any graphics
benchmarks, but I notice from the nVidia website that the M8xxx mobile
graphics adapters are plug-ins; and can be swapped out. But for the M8600
GT that would require that nVida come out with major power requirement
reductions.

Phil Weldon

"Ed M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hPRFi.9091$(E-Mail Removed) t...

| "Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > 'Al Brumski' wrote:
| > | What Intel offering are you referring to in November???
| > |
> [...]

> Uh, signs point to no, but what do I know? Nehalem seems to be a major
> revamp of the CPU architecture. I think the Intel procedure is now major
> revamp - shrink - major revamp - shrink. For the Nehalem to offer much
> benefit over the Penryn my guess is that's going to affect chipsets and
> motherboard design, and probably memory requirements. But by second half
> 2008 you'll want flash memory on board intermediate in the memory
> hierarchy
> between hard drives and RAM.
>
> I got my new notebook with a T7300 2 GHz 4 MByte L2 Dual Core 2, nVidia
> M8600 GT, and 1680 X 1050 15.4" screen. Haven't really done any graphics
> benchmarks, but I notice from the nVidia website that the M8xxx mobile
> graphics adapters are plug-ins; and can be swapped out. But for the M8600
> GT that would require that nVida come out with major power requirement

Well, it looks like I am building that system for my son down in TX. I
will give him the E6600 I have and probably put a gig of ram (XP) and an
8800GTS on some 680i MB. I am looking at some of the Intel quads and am kind
of in a quandry as to which one to get for myself. I don't have any
expectations of getting 3.7Ghz out of one like I have with this E6600
(actually settled with 3.4Ghz because of the extreme voltage it takes to
keep it stable above 3.5Ghz). For my son I will probably set it up at 3.0Ghz
because it will run well just a tad above "Auto" Vcore. I am not interested
in the Extreme quads at $900-1000.00 or whatever they are now. I am looking
at something in the mid ranges at under $400 or so. I need to do some
research there since I really was only told by my wife to build him one
yesterday and didn't expect to do this right now. I need to shop for a
decent case and psu for my son's system too.....I guess a 500w name-brand
should do ok with the 8800GTS and a 500gb hdd or so. Oh well, I guess it is
back to the drawing board.......:-)

BTW........My last laptop was the Toshiba Core2 at 1.85Ghz IIRC and it
is a fine system. I would call it more of a desktop replacement system
because of the size and weight, but it is reliable and very nice for
multimedia use. It is fast enough for anything I would use it for. It has an
NV M6xxx graphics setup on sort of a 'riser' that I am fairly sure is
replaceable. Since it does everything I need to do just like it is, I doubt
if I would update it anyway.

Ed Medlin