Amptron website

SPS 700

I went to Amptron website today. Lo & behold they were advertising not only
Amptron(PC Chips} but also ASRock, Albatron & MSI. Do they
actually own all these brands too? It was all very interesting as I
had not been there in about a year or so.

rstlne

"SPS 700" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I went to Amptron website today. Lo & behold they were advertising not

only
> Amptron(PC Chips} but also ASRock, Albatron & MSI. Do they
> actually own all these brands too? It was all very interesting as I
> had not been there in about a year or so.

Think of them like Wal-Mart
They just buy stuff in

ASRock is Asus.. Asus has like 4 divisions I think.. AsusPower, ASRock
(economy brand), Asus (normal brand of 2+mil boards/ month).. and now like I
think they bought out part of Epox? epoc? or whatever..

Albatron I have never been able to find much info on, and I wouldnt buy
their kit for that reason

MSI is a horrible horrible company.. It took me 3 years to get a warranty
repair, the board comes back so I throw a processor in it and give it a
whirl and the processor doesnt work, me being a silly bastard I just put
another processor in the board and it's dead now too.. God bless my asus
boards

lost

> ASRock is Asus.. Asus has like 4 divisions I think.. AsusPower, ASRock
> (economy brand), Asus (normal brand of 2+mil boards/ month).. and now like I
> think they bought out part of Epox? epoc? or whatever..
>
> Albatron I have never been able to find much info on, and I wouldnt buy
> their kit for that reason

I think Albatron = PC Chips.

> MSI is a horrible horrible company.. It took me 3 years to get a warranty
> repair, the board comes back so I throw a processor in it and give it a
> whirl and the processor doesnt work, me being a silly bastard I just put
> another processor in the board and it's dead now too.. God bless my asus
> boards

It is sad that we may think of Asus motherboards as being a quality product, for
no reason other than almost everything else is worse.

rstlne

> I think Albatron = PC Chips.

The albatron website never loads for me, and I wasnt able to find much/any
company info that was in english.

> It is sad that we may think of Asus motherboards as being a quality

product, for
> no reason other than almost everything else is worse.

I dont really feel this way. I think asus boards are quality boards, from
design to production to what the end user gets and down to the level that
they will get on items that need to be serviced. Some parts of asus do need
to be address'd.. but I think that's the same with every large company.. I
think they ship something like 2.5 million motherboards a month so some
people are going to get duff kit.

I think that many boards out there are of good quality (doesnt mean I would
buy them)...
The only company I have been sour'd by is MSI.. Refusing to do product
returns in the UK because they dont have a RMA system in place. Then when
it is in place they say the product only has a 1 year warranty, then they
admit that it was a 2 year warranty but they say that they have allways had
a rma system and allways given the warranty. Then they decide they will
repair my board for 10 (15$~).. so I do that and BOOM the board burns out 2
athlon chips when I get it back.. My complaint to them about that was
ignor'd..

I went through much much much more than this little summary but all in all
it took them 3 years to give me a board that would destroy 2 processors..

Ed

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:07:00 +0100, "rstlne" <.@.> wrote:

>> I think Albatron = PC Chips.

>The albatron website never loads for me, and I wasnt able to find much/any
>company info that was in english.
>
>> It is sad that we may think of Asus motherboards as being a quality

>product, for
>> no reason other than almost everything else is worse.

>I dont really feel this way. I think asus boards are quality boards, from
>design to production to what the end user gets and down to the level that
>they will get on items that need to be serviced. Some parts of asus do need
>to be address'd.. but I think that's the same with every large company.. I
>think they ship something like 2.5 million motherboards a month so some
>people are going to get duff kit.
>
>I think that many boards out there are of good quality (doesnt mean I would
>buy them)...
>The only company I have been sour'd by is MSI.. Refusing to do product
>returns in the UK because they dont have a RMA system in place. Then when
>it is in place they say the product only has a 1 year warranty, then they
>admit that it was a 2 year warranty but they say that they have allways had
>a rma system and allways given the warranty. Then they decide they will
>repair my board for 10 (15$~).. so I do that and BOOM the board burns out 2
>athlon chips when I get it back.. My complaint to them about that was
>ignor'd..
>
>I went through much much much more than this little summary but all in all
>it took them 3 years to give me a board that would destroy 2 processors..

That just sucks! I feel for ya dude!

It's like anything, if you get burned bad enough you'll find an
alternative and probably never buy anything from the companies that
screwed you. I can think of 3 companies I'll never deal with again, if I
can help it!

I recently bought my 6th Asus mobo, they just work great and keep on
working (for me), 3 non-Asus boards died on me in 9 months to a year
since I bought my first Asus board 7 years ago.

I've built 3 systems for friends with MSI boards, they are all over a
year old now, all still working fine Thank God! ;p

Cheers,
Ed

BoroLad

> > ASRock is Asus.. Asus has like 4 divisions I think.. AsusPower, ASRock
> > (economy brand), Asus (normal brand of 2+mil boards/ month).. and now like I
> > think they bought out part of Epox? epoc? or whatever..
> >
> > Albatron I have never been able to find much info on, and I wouldnt buy
> > their kit for that reason

> > MSI is a horrible horrible company.. It took me 3 years to get a warranty
> > repair, the board comes back so I throw a processor in it and give it a
> > whirl and the processor doesnt work, me being a silly bastard I just put
> > another processor in the board and it's dead now too.. God bless my asus
> > boards

http://www.albatron.com.tw/

been around since '84, became Albatron in 2002

rstlne

"BoroLad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) d.com...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > ASRock is Asus.. Asus has like 4 divisions I think.. AsusPower, ASRock
> > > (economy brand), Asus (normal brand of 2+mil boards/ month).. and now

like I
> > > think they bought out part of Epox? epoc? or whatever..
> > >
> > > Albatron I have never been able to find much info on, and I wouldnt

buy
> > > their kit for that reason

> > > MSI is a horrible horrible company.. It took me 3 years to get a

warranty
> > > repair, the board comes back so I throw a processor in it and give it

> > > whirl and the processor doesnt work, me being a silly bastard I just

put
> > > another processor in the board and it's dead now too.. God bless my

asus
> > > boards

> http://www.albatron.com.tw/
>
> been around since '84, became Albatron in 2002

I get about a 400ms ping.. the site was completly down the other day
and it had this really really really cheap thing up saying "This site is
being redesign'd"

the azza site used to be worse
http://www.azza.com.tw <-- used to just not load
http://www.azzaboard.com/ (usa site) <-- check that bad boy out! WOOT

BoroLad

In article <PExab.3196$(E-Mail Removed)>, .@.
says...

> "BoroLad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) d.com...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> like I

> buy

> warranty

> put

> asus

> > http://www.albatron.com.tw/
> >
> > been around since '84, became Albatron in 2002

> I get about a 400ms ping.. the site was completly down the other day
> and it had this really really really cheap thing up saying "This site is
> being redesign'd"
>
> the azza site used to be worse
> http://www.azza.com.tw <-- used to just not load
> http://www.azzaboard.com/ (usa site) <-- check that bad boy out! WOOT

Tiwanese sites are always unavailable outside of working hours, been
that way for years!

I get on ok from the UK, BoroLad

Nystagmus

"Ed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:07:00 +0100, "rstlne" <.@.> wrote:
>
> >> I think Albatron = PC Chips.

> >The albatron website never loads for me, and I wasnt able to find

much/any
> >company info that was in english.
> >
> >> It is sad that we may think of Asus motherboards as being a quality

> >product, for
> >> no reason other than almost everything else is worse.

> >I dont really feel this way. I think asus boards are quality boards,

from
> >design to production to what the end user gets and down to the level that
> >they will get on items that need to be serviced. Some parts of asus do

need
> >to be address'd.. but I think that's the same with every large company..

> >think they ship something like 2.5 million motherboards a month so some
> >people are going to get duff kit.
> >
> >I think that many boards out there are of good quality (doesnt mean I

would
> >buy them)...
> >The only company I have been sour'd by is MSI.. Refusing to do product
> >returns in the UK because they dont have a RMA system in place. Then

when
> >it is in place they say the product only has a 1 year warranty, then they
> >admit that it was a 2 year warranty but they say that they have allways

had
> >a rma system and allways given the warranty. Then they decide they will
> >repair my board for 10 (15$~).. so I do that and BOOM the board burns

out 2
> >athlon chips when I get it back.. My complaint to them about that was
> >ignor'd..
> >
> >I went through much much much more than this little summary but all in

all
> >it took them 3 years to give me a board that would destroy 2 processors..
> >

> That just sucks! I feel for ya dude!
>
> It's like anything, if you get burned bad enough you'll find an
> alternative and probably never buy anything from the companies that
> screwed you. I can think of 3 companies I'll never deal with again, if I
> can help it!
>
> I recently bought my 6th Asus mobo, they just work great and keep on
> working (for me), 3 non-Asus boards died on me in 9 months to a year
> since I bought my first Asus board 7 years ago.
>
> I've built 3 systems for friends with MSI boards, they are all over a
> year old now, all still working fine Thank God! ;p
>
> Cheers,
> Ed

While most have good experiences with Asus I am one who didn't and will try
never to use an Asus product again. I have had good luck with many MBs. I
tend to stick with brand name MBs and have had much better than a 50/50
chance of getting a good to great board. Do research before choosing and
you can sometimes get a great MB from a company not known for great MBs for
example: the ECS K7S5A from a mid tier company (Elite Group) using a mid
tier chipset (SiS) became one of the most reliable and best selling MB in
the last few years. I still have 2 working today that was as good as any
Asus MB in its day and the K7S5A sold for $67 US. Today SiS is no longer
mid tier because of the reputation of the SiS 735 chipset.

Today I am using an AOpen AK79G Max and I couldn't have chosen a more
reliable and fast enough for my needs MB.

Most all major MB makers produce good to great and some real stinker MBs.
Asus is popular because they make MBs that are OC'able more than any other
that I am aware of. Epox makes a good board too. I have used Shuttle with
great success and FIC also.

Bottom line: don't get an Asus MB just because it's an Asus. Do some
research and get a board that fits your needs and is reviewed well and has
been out for little awhile so you can read the newsgroups and get the feel
of how others are doing with the MB.

Nystagmus