AN35N Ultra & XP 3200+ Problem

Big Fan

I just bought an Athlon XP 3200+ for my AN35N Ultra MB. It is an
upgrade from an XP 2700+.

Shuttle AN35N Ultra
2x 512MB Corsair Value RAM PC3200.
450W Cooler Master PSU
Thermalright SLK800U HS (w/ Arctic Silver) & Panaflow fan.

I have set the FSB to 200 & everything else to "optimal"...No
overclocking

Temps are OK

When booting I get an error screen Machine_Check_Exception, STOP
0x0000009C just before the desktop appears.

I can't get any further. I get better luck booting when I set the FSB
to 190 or 192. If I try 199 or 200 the BSOD comes back.

I put the XP 2700+ back in & it works fine!

What could be causing this? Should I update the BIOS? Current BIOS
is from 12/2003.

Paul J. Veres

The latest bios update is 9/10/2004. I would put the XP 2700+ back in and
update the bios. REinstall the 3200 and everything should work.
http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...&%20AN35/N-400

"Big Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just bought an Athlon XP 3200+ for my AN35N Ultra MB. It is an
> upgrade from an XP 2700+.
>
> Shuttle AN35N Ultra
> 2x 512MB Corsair Value RAM PC3200.
> 450W Cooler Master PSU
> Thermalright SLK800U HS (w/ Arctic Silver) & Panaflow fan.
>
> I have set the FSB to 200 & everything else to "optimal"...No
> overclocking
>
> Temps are OK
>
> When booting I get an error screen Machine_Check_Exception, STOP
> 0x0000009C just before the desktop appears.
>
> I can't get any further. I get better luck booting when I set the FSB
> to 190 or 192. If I try 199 or 200 the BSOD comes back.
>
> I put the XP 2700+ back in & it works fine!
>
> What could be causing this? Should I update the BIOS? Current BIOS
> is from 12/2003.

Big Fan

I updated the BIOS to the 9/10/04 version...Still get the error at the
200mhz FSB. I am currently running it at 190mhz OK.

I ran MemTest for a couple of hrs w/ 0 errors.

I can't figure this one out? Could the CPU be defective? It's an OEM
one.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:14:04 GMT, "Paul J. Veres"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The latest bios update is 9/10/2004. I would put the XP 2700+ back in and
>update the bios. REinstall the 3200 and everything should work.
>http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...&%20AN35/N-400

Big Fan

I am now running the FSB at 195mhz/388mhz. If I put it up to 200/400
I still get the BSOD error message.

What gives?!

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:59:36 -0500, Big Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I updated the BIOS to the 9/10/04 version...Still get the error at the
>200mhz FSB. I am currently running it at 190mhz OK.
>
>I ran MemTest for a couple of hrs w/ 0 errors.
>
>I can't figure this one out? Could the CPU be defective? It's an OEM
>one.
>
>On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:14:04 GMT, "Paul J. Veres"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The latest bios update is 9/10/2004. I would put the XP 2700+ back in and
>>update the bios. REinstall the 3200 and everything should work.
>>http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...&%20AN35/N-400

Fishface

Big Fan wrote:

> When booting I get an error screen Machine_Check_Exception,
> STOP 0x0000009C just before the desktop appears.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=162363

First, I would try increasing the vdimm (voltage to the memory).
I think it goes up to 1.7v. Try setting it at that.

It is possible that you could have a board like mi- my sister's.
It would only do 200 MHz with CPU Interface set to aggressive
with the memory in single channel mode. That would be in dimm
slots 1 and 2, I believe. Well, that's if you have two sticks of
memory.

I found the memory bandwidth to be far greater in single channel
mode with CPU Interface set to aggressive than in dual channel
mode, at a lower FSB, or in dual channel with CPU Interface
set to optimal.

Mike

Ahhh....

Someone with 'exactly' the same problem I am having.

I have a Shuttle AN35N Ultra board and just bought a Athlon XP 3200.

I get exactly the same errors.

What I have found is that you can not run the system using the 11x
multiplier with a 400 FSB.

10.5x and 400 works fine.

I contacted Shuttle and they basically blew me off. They wanted me to
return the board. The board has been operating fine for a year now. I
simple think this board was never designed to operate with a 400MHz FSB
3200.

If anyone has got a XP 3200 400FSB to work on this board, I would love to
know how you did it.

It's not the CPU, this is a board problem

Mike

"Big Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am now running the FSB at 195mhz/388mhz. If I put it up to 200/400
> I still get the BSOD error message.
>
> What gives?!
>
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:59:36 -0500, Big Fan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I updated the BIOS to the 9/10/04 version...Still get the error at the
>>200mhz FSB. I am currently running it at 190mhz OK.
>>
>>I ran MemTest for a couple of hrs w/ 0 errors.
>>
>>I can't figure this one out? Could the CPU be defective? It's an OEM
>>one.
>>
>>On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:14:04 GMT, "Paul J. Veres"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>The latest bios update is 9/10/2004. I would put the XP 2700+ back in
>>>and
>>>update the bios. REinstall the 3200 and everything should work.
>>>http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...&%20AN35/N-400

Big Fan

Thanks for your help. Tried what u suggested & it's running OK at
x10.5/200/400 fsb. It's now an XP 3000+ running at 2.10 GHZ,
according to my PC.

Which is better...2.2GHZ at 190/378 fsb or 2.1GHZ at 200/400 fsb?

This is so frustrating!

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:07:18 -0600, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ahhh....
>
>Someone with 'exactly' the same problem I am having.
>
>I have a Shuttle AN35N Ultra board and just bought a Athlon XP 3200.
>
>I get exactly the same errors.
>
>What I have found is that you can not run the system using the 11x
>multiplier with a 400 FSB.
>
>10.5x and 400 works fine.
>
>I contacted Shuttle and they basically blew me off. They wanted me to
>return the board. The board has been operating fine for a year now. I
>simple think this board was never designed to operate with a 400MHz FSB
>3200.
>
>If anyone has got a XP 3200 400FSB to work on this board, I would love to
>know how you did it.
>
>It's not the CPU, this is a board problem
>
>Mike

>>>I ran MemTest for a couple of hrs w/ 0 errors.
>>>
>>>I can't figure this one out? Could the CPU be defective? It's an OEM
>>>one.

Fishface

You should make a bootable floppy or CD with Memtest86
or the newer variant Memtest86+ and make sure you are not
getting memory errors. And do try increasing vdimm. I see
now that you have 2 x 512MB Corsair Value Ram. I see that
the single sticks are spec'd to run at cl=2.5 and the dual kit it
spec'd to run at cl=3. If the board is setting them both to 2.5,
you might try them at 3. If you are using dimm slots 1 and 3,
try 2 and three, or vice versa. You might also try bumping-up
the voltage to the CPU a notch, to see if that helps. I had t
bump the voltage up to 1.675v. to get the XP2500+ Prime 95
stable at 200MHz, whereas it ran fine in an Abit NF7-S at
1.65v, and that board under-volted a little. It's nice when
everything works together out of the box, but apparently it
didn't this time.

Mike

In my opinion, a 400MHz FSB is more valuable than an extra 100MHz CPU.

The bus speed touches all aspects of your systems. You'll never notice a
CPU bump from 2100 to 2200 Mhz which is only ~5%.

If you ever find a way to make the Shuttle board work for the 3200, please
let me know. I'll do the same.

Good luck,
Mike

"Big Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your help. Tried what u suggested & it's running OK at
> x10.5/200/400 fsb. It's now an XP 3000+ running at 2.10 GHZ,
> according to my PC.
>
> Which is better...2.2GHZ at 190/378 fsb or 2.1GHZ at 200/400 fsb?
>
> This is so frustrating!
>

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:07:18 -0600, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Ahhh....
>>
>>Someone with 'exactly' the same problem I am having.
>>
>>I have a Shuttle AN35N Ultra board and just bought a Athlon XP 3200.
>>
>>I get exactly the same errors.
>>
>>What I have found is that you can not run the system using the 11x
>>multiplier with a 400 FSB.
>>
>>10.5x and 400 works fine.
>>
>>I contacted Shuttle and they basically blew me off. They wanted me to
>>return the board. The board has been operating fine for a year now. I
>>simple think this board was never designed to operate with a 400MHz FSB
>>3200.
>>
>>If anyone has got a XP 3200 400FSB to work on this board, I would love to
>>know how you did it.
>>
>>It's not the CPU, this is a board problem
>>
>>Mike

Mike

Ok, I think you're on to something here.

For starters, I have two sticks of Micron RAM (2x512). I have executed
memtest86 a number of times and these babies are rock solid.

The problem is the board, not this board, but every Shuttle AN35N Ultra.
They won't admit it but these things don't support a 400MHz FSB 3200 Athlon
out of the box. You have to do some serious tweaking to get this thing to
work. The CPUs are just fine, its a motherboard problem.

I've been reading a lot about how these boards under volt. So, I tried a
long and boring experiment. The results:

Up your CPU voltage to 1.7
Up your mem to 2.7
**Up your AGP to 1.6 (This was the needle in the hay stack)

How set your mutliplier to 11x and everything in the Advance Settings to
optimal. Run the baby at 200MHz and you shoudl get the desire results, a
Athlon XP 3200 with a 400MHx FSB.

So far, my system is running stable. However, I plan to run Prime95 tonight
to see if it craps out. Let me know if you get this thing to work.

Good luck,
Mike

news:(E-Mail Removed)...