AN52 Killing video cards and hard drives?

Junior Member

I have had this system for about 15 months.
AN52 Board AMD 4800 dual core
3 Gb of memory.
I started with a seagate 250 Gig drive.
And a leadtek 8600 512 video card.
At about 6 months in the video card died. I swapped it for an ASUS 8600 512 while waiting for the replacement on warranty.

with in the next 6 months or so I would get lock ups and crashes , the event viewer in XP said I had bad blocks on the drive. Ran chdisk 4 or 5 times during that period. I figured the seagate drive was crap .
Then my video card started to raise hell again so Just before Xmas I went on a shopping spree.

NEw WD 500 gig Black sata
New codegen 550 watt PS unit
new Evga gtx260OC video card.

Reloded the system and all was fine for 4 hours , The 260 died !!
Took it back got a new one worked fine for 1 month . yesterday it locked up ! Events showed HD errors Bad blocks again. Today The card died Black screen put my 8600 back in to type this.

Question : Am I cursed or has this MB got a gremlin and is busting up my hardware. Future shop is going to have a fit when I bring back another fried 260?

I built a second PC same time I did mine . I added the same 260 and same PS unit the same day . SAME case same fans runs at 38 degrees while gaming just like mine does. This one never has more than the regular XP hiccups for problems.

I have built several PC's in my time and I can only lean towards the MB as the source of the problems.
Thanks for any tips.

Junior Member

My fresh install locked up in screen saver mode the other day.
I ran all sorts of XP repairs with no luck. The console does not see the installation.
SO I'm back on my original HD and it's bugged up pretty good but boots. The video runs like there's no drivers installed , I un and re installed 2 times . The image blinks and rolls when I scroll a page. And the Device manager shows a yellow ! next to the listing for the card.
I'm more than convinced that the mother boards controllers are shot.

I've ordered a Asus M3A78 ,amd 6000+ cpu and will rma this junk abit board.

On a side note I mentioned I have 2 computers with this an52 board and the other one works great!! I did not ever update the bios on that board . Nor will I ever !
To the readers of this post " if it's working leave the bios alone don't upgrade unless it's really necessary".

Junior Member
Location: Czech republic

Looks like the AN52 mobo have some powering problems and can't power more power hungry GFX cards. Luckily, you probably get a RMA of the killed card as well, as the AN52 mobo...
Could you take a few hires pictures of the caps and voltage regulators near the top PCIEx slot used for GFX card? I would love to see if some caps aren't bad caps. Your sympotoms looks exactly like that - symptoms of bad caps.

ABIT AN52 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP Onboard Video ATX Abit Motherboard DHANIL Motherboards 0 02-17-2008 06:53 AM
Abit AN52 any good? drb Abit 3 07-19-2007 01:41 PM
AN52 memory max voltage is? Frodo Abit 0 06-03-2007 02:16 AM
my system board seems to be killing hard drives. Jay G. Scott PC Hardware 12 05-17-2005 10:05 PM
Video card and monitor are killing themselves ckiller Nvidia 7 12-12-2004 04:54 PM